Triggering your own illness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Now this may seem odd but bear with me. 

I am sure there may be a time when you may realise I have not been the loo for a few days and you know if this were to continue you may be very ill a few more days down the line so does anyone here have a "super" food which is super for them which they may use to trigger the condition knowing a mild trigger now is much worse than a major relapse later.

I suppose this would come under the area IBS followed by constipation followed by IBS if there was such an area.  The constipation period does not need to be painful and in fact it can feel quite normal but you know this is only deferring the illness.

Does anyone have any concept of what I mean as this is specific to me at the moment so as you may have guessed I am just highlighting my symptoms and this may be where some use medication. 

My concern about eating foods that may be well known for making one run to the loo like prunes may be too fibrous and instead of going from gentle visit may lead to a full blown IBS episode, which I am desperately trying to avoid, so wondered what gentle foods you may use if you go through a similar cycle to the one I am going through now. 

Thank you

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To relieve constipation naturally I used to use liquorice or eat something greasy but now I find foods too unpredictable so if I have not been for a week I will take movicol to kick start things.
    • Posted

Liquorice - I have made a note

I have seen Movicol on ebay but you never know what you are getting I suppose.

• Posted

I would not buy medication online for exactly that reason. It is easy to get from your doctor and available under lots of different brand names if they don't have that specific one.
    • Posted

Thank you and I will bear this in mind.  Lactulose you can get over the counter at the local supermarket so that is the one I would probably start with rather than any industrial strength from the doc smile. I say that tongue in cheek but over the counter I would expect to be more mild.
  • Posted

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat I am more than regular!! First thing in the morning guaranteed everyday (maybe out of habit than anything else), I can eat one food one day and need the loo within an hour and have the same the next day and be abolsolutley fine. This is what makes it even more confusing as I can't put it down to any food types
    • Posted

I move between the two stages so at the end of last week I had an attack complete with cramps, sweats and running to the loo repeatedly for 3 hours 20 mins and now 5 days later I am aware that was the last time if you know what I mean so my concern is that I will have another attack soon which I am trying to stave off.

I can understand that re: food.  When I had the attack I had the same food as I had last night but mine could be a build up. 

Being regular as you are is what my doc tried to do for me but it all went out of the window about 3 years ago when he said try prune juice so I purchased Californian Prune Juice and within a few days made me so ill it was unbelievable so that worked a little too well.

I am determined this time to try and resolve it once and for all and if I can not resolve I can have go to foods to limit the attacks because otherwise I will never get out of where I live again.  I think for the past year or so I have fallen into a routine becoming comfortable with the attacks but now something has to be done I have decided.

• Posted

I was given Lactulose following an operation and found it did the job gradually and gently - provided that you follow the dosage instructions and don't take a huge swig like I made the mistake of doing 2 weeks ago!lol
    • Posted

I have seen it but never used it.  I am very wary of medication in case they work too well.  I might have to look into purchasing some to keep on a shelf for times like this. Thank you

• Posted

Most laxative are actually quite gentle if you take them correctly. It's certainly not a case of the more the merrier! Lactose and movicol are very gentle. Stay away from senna which can irritate ibs badly.
    • Posted

Thank you I was imagining something more powerful as I am sure you can imagine.  This is an area I do not have much experience in but maybe now is the time to dabble. I have not heard of Senna but I will keep this in mind.

• Posted

Just a very quick one, if you had not been to the loo for a while, week, would you choose the lactose/Movicol or a half can of prunes in juice as a more natural solution.

Thank you

• Posted

I would choose movicol, as I find it more predictable and it does not trigger ibs symptoms, whereas I do not know how eating that much fruit would react with me.
    • Posted

I have been out today and I have Laxedo which by any other name is Movicol I have been told. No I don't know either re: tinned plums.

It may trigger for me due to time between loo visits.

Do you take daily, weekly, every other day or just when you think I have not been to the loo for a while. 

• Posted

Just for general info really, senna pods are a very old remedy for constipation and you made them into a tea.  I used to buy them for my dad as they were the only thing that worked for him.  As far as I know, you haven’t been able to buy them for a number of years now, replaced by Senacot tablets which apparently aren’t quite as strong (according to Dad).  Not something I’d choose to use though.  Hope the others do the trick for you.  
    • Posted

I have to say I have never heard of Senna Pods but from what you have said it is a shame they are no longer to be purchased.

The only concern with laxatives is the urge coming on if I am walking or stuck in traffic if I were to start working again or even worse in a meeting.

Is there something different you would choose to use?

I am gathering information at the moment and I will take action in a few days.

All information will be gratefully received smile

• Posted

Try using a laxative on a Friday night when you have no plans on the weekend, then you are free to see how it affects you without the worry of being away from the loo.

Also if you are more relaxed it may work better ( or at least I find it does)

• Posted

I usually walk on a Saturday so I am going to try this evening.
    • Posted

If I remember that is. Do you take after your evening meal or just before bed or does it not matter.
    • Posted

How did it go with laxido?

I find if I take two before bed I definitely go the next morning but that's just me I think. My mum takes one in the morning and it works for her that way but if I take just one nothing happens.

• Posted

Hello leeniepie

Two? I thought I was risking it with just one but in hindsight maybe not.

Apparently they can take a couple if days before they have the desired effect.

I took mine in the evening. 

I will see how tomorrow goes

All this stress over one week and even if it does action I may then have the same problem next week sad

I do not know how people bear this as it really is frustrating.

• Posted

It's easier said than done but you have to not worry. Stress makes ibs worse. Just let your body get on with things and know you have your 'back up plan' (eg laxido) ready if nothing is moving for a while.

Laxido is very gentle. The maintainence dose is 1-2 per day, so nothing bad will happen after taking this. You have to work out what's best for you- one every day, two at once etc.

• Posted

Hello Leeniepie

indeed it is. I could not agree more. I am trying not to get stressed. I have tried switching to a more natural remedy so for the past 2 days I have been eating prunes on the off chance but if I have Laxedo again this eve let's say it takes a few days to work I have a meeting on Wed so I do not want to miss that. It is an hour walk so sometimes I do not know what to do for the best.

• Posted

PS I don't know if anyone else gets this but after being told a week ago when my meeting was my first thought was an hour with no loo access and panic sets in. How ridiculous is that? At least if I am out in the hills in the middle of nowhere if anything were to happen, it has not but always in the back of my mind, I know I have cover but this will be main roads. I know it is silly but it does affect ones mental state. 
    • Posted

I understand. I have been through a couple of episodes where I had diarrhoea that lasted a month. At the time I was travelling to and from London so 45 min on a train with no toilet plus 15 min walk each way to get to where I needed to be. Those 45 mind were the worst ever!
    • Posted

I know that feeling of old. I now seem to have the opposite problem. I could not have done that as one of my most embarrassing moments was jumping off the bus after 30 mins of an hour journey and diving into woodland. Luckily I walk so know many areas of woodland within a 60 min drive. On the odd occasion I have had to get the train due to bad weather I remenber jumping off once again roughly halfway and sprinted down the platform for the loo. Next train 30 mins but luckily one of the few with a seating area. I have more than a few close shaves and on more than one occasion have I barged into private property such as restaurants when not fully open shouting can't stop and then apologise profusely afterwards. It is no fun.

I have been listening though as today I have Laculose, or whatever it is called, but I have a meeting tomorrow and Friday so when to take is the problem because if it takes one or two days again. 

I am having fun this week that is for sure smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.