Trimethoprim antibiotics for warts

Posted , 10 users are following.

I wanted to share my story in the hope others may benefit. My 8 year old daughter had lots of warts

on her hands and face for two years. We had tried all sorts of treatments including freezing,laser

therapy.bazuka and herbal remedies but nothing worked. Then by chance she had a urine infection and was prescribed trimethoprim antibiotics. On the second day I noticed the large warts on her

face seemed flatter and by day four they were disappearing before our eyes! She was given a second weeks course and by the end of two weeks was wart free!! The doctor cannot explain it but it worked and we only came across it by accident. I have no idea if it would work for others but she had about 10 on her hands and about 5 large ones around her mouth and dozens of tiny ones on her lips starting to grow. It has changed her life.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would like to add further evidence supporting this line of treatment. Here are the facts:

I had 7 plantar warts on my foot (two were at least 4 years old and very large). I also had genital warts (numerous cases) that I had been living with for 4 years. Just horrible.

Nothing solved my problem for either the veruccas or the genital warts until I got severe food poisoning and was hospitalized.

I was given intravenous Ciprofloxacin for three days. Then a further out-patient oral course of the same antibiotic for a further 7 days. This sorted out the salmonella poisoning.

It also completely cleared up all the warts. I have been completely wart free for 3 months now.

Interestingly Ciprofloxacin and Trimethoprim are alternate first line choice antibiotics for urinary-tract infections. It is unlikely to be a coincidence that two people who suffered chronic wart problems in more than one area would have such a miraculous turn around. Clearly these antibiotics bolster the immune system in some way to allow the body to quickly cure a previously chronic issue.

• Posted

Donald45605 were you taking just cipro fior your condition with warts or both cipro and trimethoprim?? Thanks skeet
    • Posted

Hi skeetm,

just saw your question to Donald today. I was battling with a verruca for years,tried everything I heard of,but no luck. The top would flake off but there it was again deep rooted. I was prescribed Septrim which has the properties  of Trimethoprim the chemist explained, for a urine infection and my verruca just disappeared. When I thought it was diminishing in size during the treatment I dabbed it with salycic acid and the top layer was filed off to find it was gone. Just like that. Thought I would tell you my story as my verruca caused real grief to me, I never thought I would be ever rid of it. Even now, many months later I keep having a look to make sure it's still gone.

• Posted

My granddaughter had a verucca on her foot for months, no treatment that was tried got rid of it. I suggested a remedy that people had used with great success and it worked. Her mother taped a banana skin, with the inside of the skin against her foot which was just kept on all night while she was asleep and within a week or so it had started to discolour and eventually came off. Look it up if you don't believe me!
  • Posted

I don't think you are alone. I have suffered with Mozaic plantar warts on the sole of my left foot for eight years. During this time I have tried over the counter products including acids, creams and a home freezing kit, even tried an American electrical wart abater. I have had a dozen or more cryo treatments at the GPs and more recently at dermatology clinic. After surgical removal and cauterising last year they quickly grew back, only worse.

Two weeks ago I was prescribed co-amoxiclav (antibiotic) a seven day course,for an ear infection by day four the warts had softened and fell away, after a clean up it was obvious there was new skin and I was wart free. It may not work for everyone but administered 8 years ago would have saved me a great deal of pain and discomfort. It has to be worth a try.

• Posted

Wanted to share with you my miracle story. I am days away from being 30. I have had clusters of warts on my arms and legs since I am been around 9.  When I say clusters I mean they are hundreds. They kept spreading throughout shaving scratching. I tried freeze which was horrible because imagine 15 or more shots in one day to numb the area before burning. Then the smell of burning flesh was horrible. I went to dermotologist that charged me 100 for consultation and then 100 for a worthly cream. Also, they tried injecting with a type of antibotics, but again it was painful and din't work.  I cried my heart out because my students would look at me funny or random people that saw m and my warts. So fast forwards the sobbing story. I had bad anxiety so I took Zoloft 50mg and my warts started to itch. The dosage ended up being changing to  100mg and hydroxyzine  25 mg. for itching/anxiety. My warts continued to itch and would put benedryl cream at night. I would scratch until I bled everywhere. I had to wear long sleeve for my people wouldn't notice. My husband would slap my hand to stop scratching at night. After about 2 weeks of this I noticed all my warts flattened. I mean all of them. I have had them for two decades and they left all at once. God was listening when I said that I was going to try laser surgery next because it was shameful to allow my husband run his hands against my legs.  Thank you God. Do I believe it will work with everyone, I really don't know, but good luck. Truthful Thankful!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.