Trimethroprime DO NOT TAKE!!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was prescribed Trimetroprime by my GP for a UTI, immediatly after taking it I felt so ill, headache couldn't get out bed, lower back pain and just aching all over. I've never felt so ill in all my life. I came up with a rash on my face, legs, arms, stomach it looks as if I've been burnt all over... Went back to my GP and told them I have had a reaction to Trimethroprime, and they said it was unlikely and just gave me some antihistamines, which hasn't helped.. This is 3 months on and I am still suffering with sore red inflammed skin I've tried everything steroid creams and Telfast (the strongest antihistamine you can get), I was given a course of Penicillin cos they thought it might be a skin infection, still no improvement!

I'm now taking 4 steriod tablets a day (Prednisolone), and its making no difference, will be going back to my GP tomorrow.. I'm waiting to see the Demotologist at my local hospital.

I know for a FACT TRIMETROPRIME IS TO BLAME! I was fine fit healthy with perfect skin until I took this drug, these last 3 months have been complete hell.. I can't work or put clothes on without being in complete pain with my skin, even having a bath stings like mad. I'm just worried its never gonna go.

This Drug should be banned!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I hope you get on ok at the docs. I took this dodgy drug back in Jan '10 and am only just back to normal now almost 12 months on, albeit with pain in my left leg that I never had before taking this drug.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Can anybody tell me what oral steriod they took to help clear up the severe skin rash? And how long was they on it?
  • Posted

I didn't have a rash but the steroids they put me on to ease the pain in my joints was PREDNISOLONE but thankfully I wasn't on them for long. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

I was prescribed Trimethroprime last Friday, and thankfully I haven't had any symptoms I've read on here! I have had the most AWFUL headaches that I have had in a long time.

With nausea and sickness before I took them, and that being a side effect I wasn't too hopeful about them. Can't say I feel any better, but fingers crossed I do over time. The first tablet I've taken that makes me worse before I get better rolleyes

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

The reaction 95% have... It will kill a number of nasty bugs at the same time. smile
  • Posted

Hi, I posted on here in October 10' after having a reaction to Trimethoprim. On day 7 (my last tablet) I started to feel itchy and prickly all over, my palms went bright red and extremely itchy, got hives on my legs, knees, elbows and neck. I was also getting quite blotchy and wheezy. I took a piriteze and it subsided. However I have had generalized itching ever since! Am now three months on. My doctor gave me a short course of predinisolone which helped a bit. He's also put the allergy on my records. This is an awful drug! I haven't felt myself since taking it.
  • Posted

:cry: My daughter was recently prescribed trimethoprim for UTI, she is 5 years old, after two days of taking it she woke covered in itchy hives, that have since spread all over her back and trunk, she has also complained of struggling to breath. I stopped giving this to her straight away. No doubt about it this drug caused these side effects!
  • Posted

smile Read all your posts with great interest. I was prescribed a week's course for a kidney infection and take my last tablet tomorrow morning.

So far only side effect has been nausea which has lessened. I was really quite unwell and the Trim. started working within a few hours.

For those who have had skin reactions I really hope you get the 'all clear' soon. If I do experience anything else, I will post.

• Posted

My mum also had severe headache.

Story: My mum been suscribed trimethoprim for treating possible Urethra Infection. Just consume the drug for the first day make here weak and minor headache, but the second day after work back home is a nightmare: She is so pain in her head make her crazy as hell and depress as she describe and from I observe. I try to help by washing her head with warm water which only relief a bit. The pain persist for about 5-10 minutes,then followed by intermittence headache, then as she relax, the pain is getting better.

She had headache history years ago which make her think this headache is a old problem. But after I suspect the trimethoprim and search the drug for information, things become clear that She is allergic to trimethoprim which cause a severe headache, angry, muscle weakness, short term depression and anemia.

She start headache on the second day morning. During office work won't onset the severe headache until afternoon taking another pile and travel on a 1.5hr journey back home, which make me suspect that the drug precipitate during slow blood circulation and then elevate alergic reaction causing persistent severe headache .

• Posted

If she believeis she allergic to Trimethoprim, then the practitioner will test for that. He may even elect another regime. You have to remember that people used to die of UTIs. Most people will feel nausea with the antibiotic. Many take tablets until they feel well, for example, three or four days. They should take the entire course, typically seven days, as the infection can come back again even stronger. People in the Health Service get UTIs also. They know they have to fight it.

By the way, why is she at work and driving with a serious condition and on drugs whose instructions suggest you maybe should not drive? It also tells you "how often you should take your medicine. When taking any medicine you should be aware that it might interfere with your ability to drive", She could take some time out and finish the course?

• Posted

Did you feel this ill after taking only 1 tablet? I am asking cos I had very similar symptoms after taking only 1 tablet, I stopped taking them immediately. I realise its been over a year since you posted this, but any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Posted

Poor, poor you!  Please have a dig around this site and find my initial piece describing the after effects of taking this drug.  My feet actually skinned and were raw, so I understand your stinging skin completely.  I have absolutely no doubt at all that Trimetroprime was the culprit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.