Triple foot fusion post op swelling

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi I had a triple fusion 15 weeks now and I'm in so much pain, the swelling is unbelievable, I actually thought that I would be up and about now , is this normal the slightest bit of activity and I have to elevate it , my ankle feels like it's sprained, I'm still using crutches to get about and I'm staring physio next week I'm sat here typing and I can feel it swelling because it's not elevated I spent near on three months with my foot up and feel a bit of a fraud now the cast is off , I just want to know if this is normal ? Scans revealed fusion a success. Anybody out there has similar ? Thank yo

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maxio. I had big toe fusion back in November 2015, and the swelling does last for quite a while I'm afraid.  I was told swelling could last up to a year. To start with my whole foot would swell, but it gradually gets less and less, and eventually its more the site of op.  Obviously you've had more done than I did, so would think the swelling may be more in your case.  I would ask about it at your next hospital appointment, but in the meantime, keep yout foot elevated when you're not walking about, and don't over do it.  Don't feel a fraud. This is a big operation you've had, and there's alot of healing to be done. I know it's difficult, but it takes time! Good luck with it all.  

• Posted

Hi claire , thank you so much for taking the time to reply , it is comforting to know I'm not alone! 

• Posted

Hi Maxio

I've had both my feet reconstructed and finally back on my feet afyer 2 n a half long years!

Swelling is a bad word in foot surgery recovery!!

I was surprised too at how long I had swelling.

8 months with my r foot and only 4 months with my l foot. As soon as I put it down it swelled!

As long as you are sure you haven't got an infection ide say you are probably doing too much too soon .

If you are worried try and speak to your surgeon or a qualified medic in the field.

It will seem like it's never going to stop swelling....it will. Hang in there!

Nikky

• Posted

Thank you I was getting really worried something had 'come undone!'  My scars have healed nicely so no infection there however I do know it could still get infected, pain stops when I elevate my foot , sore to touch though and I really need crutches to walk otherwise I'm in so much pain , I really am beginning to think I was no where mentally prepared for this op and perhaps should have done a bit of research having said that I think I'm over the worst I can at least make a cuppa and shower by myself! Thank you so much for your kind word of encouragement, means a lot x

• Posted

I'm about 8 weeks out of surgery and if I put my down for even just 5 minutes it begins burning and looks like fat sausages. I can't use crutches because having my foot dangle like that makes it sting, so I'm still in a wheelchair. Last time I had surgery, it swelled up like a balloon for months after (almost 5 months). My feet and ankles took a long time to heal and the swelling was a problem for what seemed like nearly 6 months post. What medications and vitamins are you taking?

• Posted

Hi I'm not taking any meds regularly and when I do it's cocodamol on prescription I don't take any vitamins , do you think that I should ? Thanks for replying it's nice to know I'm not alone! 

• Posted

Yes, I've been taking vitamins daily and what a difference they have made. I went totally off pain meds at 3 weeks post and the last surgeries, I was in agony for over 2 months. This stuff, Kirkland Ubiquinol 200mg, really helps speed up healing time. I googled what to take to curb recovery time and have been taking everything on the list. My incisions are almost completely closed up as well. Here's my progression: 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.