Trochleoplasty on right knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I am three weeks post op from a trochleoplasty o my right knee. almost all of my swelling has gone and am walking with no pain. I cannot bend my knee at all. My surgeon said that I should have full use of my knee by this stage but not to worry until 6 weeks post op and hopefully i will be bending by then. Has anyone had problems bending their knee. What do they do if you cannot bend after you have recovered? thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How are you walking if you cannot bend your knee? That means you must be walking with a limp.

I had Total Knee Replacement nearly 4 years ago having previously had operations on both knees due to patella dislocation.

I had trouble bending my knee afterwards and had quite a lot of physiotherapy.

I am not a medical person so am reluctant to give you particular exercises which may not be right in your circumstances. Maybe you should go to GP and get referred to physiotherapy.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah, yes I am limping. I have little to no pain when I walk but if i try to bend it hurts really bad and is blocked. I have been told not to do physio as it is too aggressive after the procedure ive had and could do more damage. so I have another appointment on the 3rd with my surgeon who said it should be bending by then but its not improving. Im getting very worried that it will not bend and they will have to do the manipulation.

thank you for the reply

Dayna

• Posted

Don't worry.

I had to have a manipulation many years ago after an operation on my knee. It was very painful when I came round but pain soon wore off and it did work.

Let me know how you get on.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Have you had any look bending your knee yet,? I have had the same procedure on my left knee trochleoplasty (with a lateral release) I am 5 weeks post op, and finding things difficult, I am unable to bend my knee past 30 degrees, I am struggling to do the exercises my knee is very swollen still and I cant lift my leg whilst straight it feels like there is a metal clamp around my knee making it tight and stiff I feel like I am doing something wrong, the only exercise I am able to do is the muscles clenches and trying to lift my leg up from the straight position, I can bear weight on my knee it would be so much easier if I could bend it am struggling so much it just feels so heavy stiff and tight and sometimes it feels like my knee is pulling it certain positions I sit so I tend to sit with my leg out in front of me lent forward abit as I cant sit in a chair properly yet are all these things normal, x
    • Posted

Hey Natalie, I'm a week and a half post op which was mosaicplasty and a proximal patella realignment. Im 24 y/o based in UK. I know they're not the same procedure but I'm also undergoing the same rehab protocol, trying to tense quad and then bend my knee. I can reach 30 degrees now with some effort, due to see my consultant in two weeks to change my ROM hopefully to 50/60 degrees. Knee is still pretty swollen and I've tried resting, icing etc, it seems that the swelling is at the back of my leg where bruising is also the worst. I'll let you know how I get on with rehab and see whether I have any luck or tips for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.