trouble weeing

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im a 30 year old female and had my tonsils removed two weeks ago after the op i had trouble weeing and had a cathether put in and went to the urology clinic yesterday and still couldnt wee without the catheter so they have removed the leg bag and i now have a catheter valve as i struggled with the self catheterisation and am now waiting to hear from the clinic for further tests i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they manage either with the leg bag or catheter valve when out and about sorry its a long post thankyou for any advice

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Ā Urinary retention is a relatively common problem after surgery. It can be a direct result of the anesthetic or the type of operation.

Have they not given you any explanation or how long it may last.

• Posted

Hi thankyou for your reply they said that its probably to do with the anaesthetic but not how long it may last they just put this valve in and said they will put me on the waiting list for further tests as soon as possible

thankyou again for your reply

• Posted

Hi Katherine I'm very sorry to hear about your problem, I had the same problem after a c- section I had a leg bag too like for a month or so , after removing it I still couldn't go to the bathroom so I also got the catheter valve , I got very depress and use to cry all the time. After seeing a lot of doctors and none of them knew what was going on with me, a friend told me it was everything in my mind that I just had to relax plus having the catheter valve was not heathy so try to relax .drink a lot of water and maybe the sound of water can helpšŸ’•hope to hear good news soon good luckĀ 
    • Posted

Hi thankyou so much for your reply im so sorry to hear what you have been through especially wheb they think its all in the mind its a nightmare will do drink lots of water got docs tomorrow possible infection

I hope you get well soon il put some news on soon

thankyou again

best wishes katherine

• Posted

Hi there I've went through pretty much the same thing as you!

I had an operation on my nose in March and couldn't pee after it! I had the leg bag for 1 month but found it rather uncomfortable so switched to the vavle which was more discreet as well. The vavle only works if you remember to empty it ( I never felt the urge to pee so forgot it empty for hours)

I recently got my catheter out last Wednesday where they tought me self catheterisation but ended up in hospital on Friday and out yesterday as I couldn't do it!

I am now starting to pee on my own but have to use the catheter to fully empty my balder as its expanded quite a bit.

I would definitely recommend staying with using the vavle but emptying it as often as you can, can I ask what tests they have put you on the waiting list for?

I hope you don't have the catheter in for too much longer xx

• Posted

Hi thankyou so much for your reply

i hope you feel better soon its a urodynamics test i think the nurse said this valve is definately better than the leg bag im now starting to feel the need to go so hoping to have it out soon thankyou again for your reply and advice i really hope you feel better soon xx

• Posted

No problem smile I know how much I had to cope when I first had the catheter and found it good to share and talk to people who go through the same as me. As I'm only 20 female as well.

I have been put on the waiting list for urodynamics as well as a cystoscope! That's good the you are getting the urge to go, I think it's best to wait a couple of weeks after having the urge to go as the bladder is re-training its self. That's the plus point of having the vavle as its not just continuously draining away.

Thank you, and I hope you do get it out soon smile xx

• Posted

Aww i really hope you manage to get sorted thankyou again im always hereif you need advice

Thankyou again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.