Trust

Posted , 13 users are following.

soon to be happy new year to you all 😄😄

some of the older members (not in age!) may remember that because of my drinking, my son couldn't trust me to look after my grandson who is now 1. Instead he payed £800 per month for him to go to nursery.

After watching the video (could someone provide the link please) by paul Turner about AUD, my family eventually agreed that AUD is not got by just giving in to alcohol. It's a condition, not our fault, but we can take responsibility for ourselves.

After long family discussions it was agreed that I could have him one afternoon a week. However one wiff of alcohol or any further binges, then that would be it.

I am so pleased to say that I now have him three days a week. I ended up looking after him for the whole week before Christmas as nursery was closed due to hand, foot and mouth disease.

I do admit to having a couple of blips on the nights when I don't have him the next day. I still drink socially, but know when to stop. It made me laugh on Christmas Eve as the whole family went for a meal. They were all wasted, and guess who took the kids home, bathed, fed and then we listened to santas bells and the reindeers lol! I got them all in bed, with stockings at the end of each bed.

i made snowy footprints, carrots, mince pies and a glass of sherry for Santa.

This may sound a bit odd to some people. The reason I'm posting is to say how AUD in some cases can, to a certain extent, be controlled. This time last year I was in bed and couldn't stop being sick, nipping downstairs for a secret bottle and appearing at tea time, semi wasted and trying not to fall over playing charades. Total embarrassment the next day when watching the videos.

what a difference a year makes, please don't think I'm bragging, it's not been plain sailing at times, but if it encourages just one person it's worth it .

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

well done and I REMEMBER your previous Christmas when you were drunk and it was quite funny how you described it but we all gave advice to try and stop and LOOK AT YOU NOW... You must be SO PROUD..yes, this is a LOUD message but I know you well and you have done so well. I stopped 31st Dec 4 years ago exactly and have not started since then..once again well done and 2017 is going to be even better for you..I was also "saved" by little children since I had to look after them and was drinking when they were tiny and realised that I had to stop and did so.. Great stuff! Robin

• Posted

Hey well done, it is so much better once you realise there is more to drink. I never heard of aud before so googled it, mmmmmm that's kind of what drinking involved for me before I started getting annoyed with myself for not getting anything done the following day!! Keep up the good work.

• Posted

Hi vickylou! 

First...Many Blessings to you for getting to have access and a relationship with your grandchild.  

Secondly, I have an opinion that if your environment is dark and depressing (family turmoil, trouble in other relationships or jobs...and I don't mean the acute kind of troubled environment but ongoing drama and stress in our environments lead to = "dark'.

I truly believe by them letting you watch over your grandchild..that your world became brighter and you relationships have improved and therefore you are better able to control your impulses to drink.

They in my opinion made you better and could have a long time ago.

I couldn't be happier for you and may you have a continued Happy New Year!

• Posted

So pleased my video had a positive effect for you VickyLou. That is exactly why I do the job I do. It's worth far more than any money I earn to me although the bills have to be paid so you can't ignore money completely smile

I can't post the video link here but it's easy to find by searching 'paul turner alcohol' on YouTube

• Posted

Ahhh am glad its easy to access Paul, I need to see this too 

Thank you 

• Posted

Paul this is all i could see on youtube, The Sinclair Method - Independent Alcohol Practitioner Paul Turner. I totally agree with the blocking the feeling of reward or pleasure, i feel it's all to do with association and links. I used to be the same, i couldn't open a bottle without finishing it. As being on anti depressants for anxiety the next day used to render me useless. In the end i got fed up with letting myself and others down. But this kind of makes me think now with people who say they are addicted to cannabis, if this is working on the same principle off having an effect on the opiate receptors. I'm sure there has been some research into it. Regards   

• Posted

the video was very good Paul thank you!!! I dont know if the medication here in Canada will look into it for sure smile

• Posted

Happy New Year and congratulations, Vickylou! That's wonderful news, I'm so glad you were able to overcome AUD and reap the rewards! 

• Posted

Well done you. It must feel wonderful to know you are being trusted with your grandson and also gettiing your life back in order.

Hearty congrats and long may it continue this way xxx

• Posted

I am so happy for you, Vickylou.

All Good Wishes for 2017.

Love and Blessings from

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Happy New Year to you vickylou - what a lovely post.  Yes, you have done fantastically well from where you were last Christmas.  And why do we even attempt to sneak a quick one when we feel so bad!!!  Then, it all starts again.

That is lovely about your grandson and you taking over when the family got overly merry - that would have made me feel that this is well worth it.  And the trust they are now putting in you for more precious time must make you proud.

So chuffed for you - well well done girl.  Respect x

G.

• Posted

Awww thanks Gwen xx You've not posted for a while, either that or I can't read!

Hope you're keeping well, and happy new year

• Posted

I know this is a late post but I just wanted to say good for you and congratulations. That's a great story to share with everyone. I hope you have a wonderful New Year

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.