Trying to get breast reduction on NHS

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi, I'm 27 and had big boobs ever since I can remember, I'm wearing a bra size 36G. But it's small on me and I measured myself and if my measurement is correct I should b a 38I. For one thing is a 36 band bra is just right so a 38 would be too big and I'm too embarrassed to go get measured by a professional.

Anyway a year ago I visited my doctor and told her a bout my problem with my boobs being too big for my frame and that it hurts my back, shoulders, leaves marks on shoulders, I'm very depressed and have rashes under breasts, and can't exercise as its so uncomfortable. Also it effects my social life as I hate people staring and making comments. I asked her if I could have surgery on the NHS, she said no that it wasn't available on the NHS anymore ans she prescribed me anti depressants and told me to strengthen my back muscle and go counselling. I knew counselling wouldn't help me as the problem would still be there. A month later I spoke with her on the phone still in tears like I was a month ago an she was still adamant, so I gave up.

Now a year on I'm still very depressed and decided to try again so I rang PALS ( patient advice and liaison service) run by NHS, and they said that I stand a good chance as its effecting my mental state and she knew people who have had breast enlargement on NHS. Shealso advised me to get a second opinion with a different doctor on Thursday afternoon, any suggestions on what to say and how to start the conversation?

sorry for the long post

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Poor you. It's horrible if your doctor is not sympathetic. I was lucky & mine was fine and helped a lot. You have just got to tell the new doctor that your large bust is making your neck & shoulders ache & tell him exactly what you have put in your post. I don't know where you live but I know they do it regularly in the South East of England in East Grinstead. They are excellent there. As long as your bust is a lot larger than the rest of you, & you have a BMI of 23 or less then you have a chance. If it is more they will tell you to lose weight to see if it comes off your bust. You will just have to tell them that it's making your life a misery & hope your doctor is in agreement & refers you to a consultant. Good Luck. 
  • Posted

Thanks Yvonne for your reply, your lucky you had a understanding doctor. I live in the south west a place called somerset.

I thought I'd update my post, as I said in my last post I had doctors appt last Thursday as I wanted a second opinion. I only got to speak to her on the phone but she sounds more helpful she told me that breast reduction is funded by the NHS and to go through with the counselling and to ring back in 3 months. She asked me to fill out a self referral form for counselling so I collected the form last Friday and filled it out and sent in Saturday. So fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hello,

A good starting point would be to see a plastic surgeon for some advice. They have  usually seen many patients with similar problems and you shouldn't make you feel embarassed. Although there are nowadays restrictions on having this done on the NHS, some criteria might qualify, such as back pain, sore areas under the breasts etc. Your GP should know the criteria and can advice you on this.

Some department stores such as M&S can measure you and give you an idea about your bra size.

• Posted

I know it isn't the complete am swear, ,I went from a 36dd to a 34ff after my baby. Pepper berry is a great show, they sell bras that fit, amd measure you properly, they also have cloths that fit a bigger boobed lady. You will feel so much better with cloths that fit, a jacket that buttons up amd isn't straining, serious please look and try xxxx
  • Posted

I suffer with big boobs too I wat to get rid off them I am 38 gg I am only 20
  • Posted

I suffer from big boob too I want to get rid of them
    • Posted

Firstly you need to go to your doctor to see if you qualify for a bust reduction on the NHS. If you are big everywhere then they will say lose weight. They will only do it if you have a bmi of 23 or less. Good luck.
  • Posted

I really want a breast reduction too, i went to the doctors and they said it's unlikely to happen because of my age. I'm 16 and measured to be a 28H, which doesn't actually exist according to the majority of bra shops and i was told if i want to wear a bra that fits i need to get it made professionally. utter b******t. i literally can't wear most clothes, i get made fun of for them , i have extreme back pain, and i my nickname is saggy tits. it's awful

• Posted

My love, I had to register on this forum just to be able to reply to you. I just had to. 

I am 23, and since I was 17, I have been a 30J. When I was 16, your age, I was in a GG cup. I have had bigger boobs than everyone I know at my age since being 12 years old. 

I am 23 and I am considering breast reduction because I have terrible neck pain. If a breast reduction won’t help the pain, I won’t be having it. I’m due to see a NHS consultant next Friday to decide if I am eligible for a reduction or not. 

I actually really like my breasts now. I like my body, I like how slim I am and feel like my large breasts are who I am. I used to get terrible nicknames and often was bullied online as a young woman. I too was called saggy tits. It broke my heart every time. Kids are savages. Believe it or not, I hated my breasts until I was 21! I didn’t want anyone to see me without clothes and then one day I thought “F*** it, this is who I am”. And it is. My nose is crooked and my ears are stretched and look like bumholes, and I’m silly short at 5ft1, but this is who I am. And I like that now. 

I would suggest to you to wait until your 20’s to be absolutely sure a reduction is what you want because the scars do not fade. 

Until then, Bravissimo are the only shop that do our size bras and bikinis. I also can no longer wear underwired bras because the weight of my breasts actually misshaped my ribs and it hurts! I wear bras from an online shop called Hopeless Lingerie which are actually designed for D(ish) cups but make my boobs look smaller and offer enough support to allow me to wear fitted clothes. So check them out. Please feel free to reply - I’d be really happy to help you. I honestly feel your pain!

• Posted

I really want a breast reduction too, i went to the doctors and they said it's unlikely to happen because of my age. I'm 16 and measured to be a 28H, which doesn't actually exist according to the majority of bra shops and i was told if i want to wear a bra that fits i need to get it made professionally. i literally can't wear most clothes, i get made fun of for them , i have extreme back pain, and i my nickname is saggy tits. it's awful

• Posted

The procedure is going to your GP to then get funding from the Primary Care Trust (PPG).  They will assess whether they think you meet the criteria for a reduction and then make the decision.  There has to be exceptional reasons for having this funding agreed.  Unfortunately they no longer count depression when making their decision and will refer you on for counselling rather than give you the funding as they stopped allowing this to be considered  a few years ago. 
    • Posted

Hi Steptoe

I know primary care trusts work differently and have their own guidelines but is depression still accepted for breast implants? Also I'm sure they never tell someone that wants them bigger to put on weight, it's just so frustrating as surely the damage caused by large breasts will cost NHS more in the long run 😣😣

• Posted

I have recently been referred my appointment is next month, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia before Xmas last year after lots of tests due to severe rib pain, sensitivity and sleepless nights, lasting more than a year, I never would have considered surgery but my breast are so heavy and cause me agony I can’t even wear a bra especially those with wires, iv been at a restaurant with my partner an literally almost been in tears with the pain and had to rush home to whip my bra off, I just couldn’t take it anymore and went to my gp in tears, she was very sympathetic, and knew of my pain issues and I don’t like taking tablets either refuse to rely on painkillers especially with having a hernia, as it irritates it, though I do have amtryptiline every night, I am hoping the surgeon I see will understand as I cannot have anymore children now and I am ready and prepared for this to change my life though my bmi is 28 but I’m on a strict diet to loose a stone so nothing can stand in my way,  is there anything I should know or be prepared for when I go, is anyone been through the same 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.