Trying to taper off prescription opioids

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been lurking around this week.  I have been reading all the comments about people who have stopped opioids abruptly and those who have tappered off slowly.  I am a coward and have chosen the slow route.  I have tapered off 75% of the MS extend release (was on 20mg t.i.d.) and have been down to one 15mg p.o. dose each day for the last two days.  I have also cut down on percocet 7.5 mg t.i.d. to half that amount (was on 7.5 t.i.d.)  and am taking 1/2 tab t.i.d.  Both have been decreased in the last 2-1/2 weeks.  

Just for background info.  I injured my back and had 3 back surgeries.  I tried every conceivable theraputic approach several times before going to a pain clinic which prescribed opioids.  I have become tired of the whole issue and wanted to give decreasing my meds another try.  This is so far my most successful attempt.

Any advice moving forward will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

That's a huge and commendable reduction, nice work.

Long term pain is really hard work, i broke a few vertebrae and other stuff, the longer you are on the opioids the more complicated things get. I've been off the opioids for 14 months, pain is still an issue but I love having 'me' back. It took a long time to feel like 'me' again after opioids, maybe 12 months. But I love it and the gamble with pain worked for me. Opioids screw with your bodies natural pain receptors, so as you stop taking them pain is at its peak. After about 3 months things eased for me, and then at about 12 months life was acceptable, at 14 I'm feeling really quite good. Opioids are great for short term chronic pain but they come with a bucket load of other problems.

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to give valuable information.  I hung on every word of encouragement.  I was so "sick" from withdrawal yesterday I decided it did not make sense to possible go through it twice by tapering of MS 15 mg and then the last 15 mg.  So it has been almost 48 hours since my last dose.  

I would never have gone down the opioid route if I had not been in pretty serious pain for over 10 years.  I had tried everything.  I am starting to feel the last 15 years on opioids only made my situation much worse, but this is what happens when you seek help while in a good deal of pain.  Thanks!  Your words have given me hope.

• Posted

Hey G.Allyn,

Don't call yourself a coward. Giving up opiates is the most frightening experience I've ever had to face. It takes huge kahunas. Whether you taper down or go cold turkey is irrelevant... You're an unstoppable weapon. Don't forget it!

Long term management of pain is so difficult to juggle but opiates are certainly not the only or most effective treatment. There are other medications that are effective in treating chronic pain, minus the hella addictive side effects. I had to research them on my own my doctor never would have thought to suggest them.

"Lyrica" and "gabbapentin" just for example are generally used to treat epilepsy and nerve pain but are very effective for a lot of people in managing chronic pain. I've used both previously and found them both very effective, especially through detox. Everyone is different and each drug will effect them differently. Unfortunately with chronic pain it's a long road of trial and error.

Don't be down on yourself. You're doing an amazing job. I have faith!

• Posted

I admire your active approach in your own health care.  Sometimes physicians are not the best when it comes to medications.  I always direct my med questions to my pharmacist.

I am on gabbapentin for nerve pain.  My goal is to get to the point where I am only on that and no opiods.  Now if I could get off the last 11 mg of percocet.   One thing at a time.  

Thank you for the information and encouragement.  It is very much appreciated.

• Posted

I use pregabalin and celebrex along with 2 sizes of patches and oramorph for when things are really bad.  I don't feel as though ?I function well witht he oramorph so try my best not to use, that said when you are desperate you don't feel yourself anyway and perhaps using the meds helps you just relax a little more and stp from exacerbating the issue further?  Regarding the patches like I say I have 2 sizes and use the weaker when pain is likely to be or is less - eg warmer climate helps with no rain.  Like many atmospherics seem to reap havoc with me at times.  I also know if I need more or less that it is possible to cut the patches to use.  This might be helpful in slower reduction for those coming off.  I would only reduce small amount every two - three days or slower still to make sure you are coping.  Pains a strange phenomenon and levels can change depending on activity etc.  Would love to be off the meds myself as all of them worrry me in their own right but I simply cannot live or function without them - at least I have a form of life now and am more aware of those around me and my actions towards them.  Wishing you luck with moving forwards.

• Posted

I use pregabalin and celebrex along with 2 sizes of patches and oramorph for when things are really bad.  I don't feel as thoughI  function well with the oramorph so try my best not to use, that said when you are desperate you don't feel yourself anyway and perhaps using the meds helps you just relax a little more and stop from exacerbating the issue further?  Regarding the patches like I say I have 2 sizes and use the weaker when pain is likely to be or is less - eg warmer climate helps with no rain.  Like many atmospherics seem to reap havoc with me at times.  I also know if I need more or less that it is possible to cut the patches to use.  This might be helpful in slower reduction for those coming off.  I would only reduce small amount every two - three days or slower still to make sure you are coping.  Pains a strange phenomenon and levels can change depending on activity etc.  Would love to be off the meds myself as all of them worrry me in their own right but I simply cannot live or function without them - at least I have a form of life now and am more aware of those around me and my actions towards them.  I have spoken with some who have had relief through accupuncture, or TENS, alas for me it did not work sadly.  Wishing you luck with moving forwards.

• Posted

Anna, thanks for the really good suggestions.  I know what you mean about the weather.  I can tell a big storm is rolling in 24 hours before it hits my area.  We also have scattered snow for about two months of the year and they are my worst months.  I wish there was a climate to move to which agreed with my pain.  In the future I hope to move and get a break from the weather inducing pain.

Thanks for the good luck and taking the time to give me suggestions. The last two days have been the worst.  I hope that is the most difficult period and it will get a little easier moving forward.  All the best to you.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.