TSH at 9.9 dream like feeling ? HELP

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey guys I need advise.

I recently got my blood work done and the tsh levels came back at 9.9 I have not been contacted by my doctor since is the weekend or I assume it must not be s serious at 9.9(saw the results on the hospitals website)......BUT for the past 2 to 3 years I have been constantly feeling that I am in a dream type state of mind I feel like no to many things are real and it's hard to remember things very well I can't concentrate I belive is affecting my whole like I have no motivation for anything. I really want to feel normal again. I honestly forgot how it feels to be normal . could all my symptoms be thyroid related or could I have a brain tumor or something like that???

I appreciate you taking your time to read this.

it's quite embarrassing but I've had enough feeling this way and I got a lot to live for so I need to figure out what is wrong with me.

gracias amigos and I appreciate your input smile

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I forgot to mention I am 23 years old
  • Posted

Juan, your TSH is high, this  indicates low thyroid function, which can cause severe brainfog, depression, and other symptoms. 

So, no, probably not a brain tumor. Ask your doc to run a complete thyroid panel.

• Posted

Catherine,

I really appreciate the reply makes me feel a little better about the whole situation 😀

• Posted

You're very welcome. In the meanwhile, while you're waiting for your doc, take some time to research diet and nutrition for thyroid health. There are many posts here. Often at the early stages of thyroid disease, a high protein (paleo style) diet, glutenfree (strict on the gluten, absolutely no cheating, as  even a little can trigger the immune system), with supplements can often reverse thyroid disease and save you from decades of health problems. Particularly, vitamins B, C, D, as well as many trace minerals. I've had extremely good results with amino acids (you can also use protein powder).

Youll also feel great when you put really good quality, nourishing food in your body!

• Posted

Jain, also, kelp supplements can be very helpful. You can buy supplements specifically formulated fur thyroid health.
  • Posted

por favor, you have nothing to apologize for.

Your TSH is high. You did not memtion your T4 nor your T3 values. Nevertheless, you may have low thyroid function.

Your descriptions sound like you are hypothyroidic.

Speak with your physician and please return here. hugs

• Posted

You Are Not Alone I've had hypo for over 20 years I don't remember what normal feels like.

• Posted

perhaps some T3 would help you ferl more normal...Cytomel 5 mcg daily. Some of us live in bodies that are inefficient in converting T4 Levothyroxine-Synthroid into T3.
    • Posted

I have only taken Levothyroxine-Synthroid . honestly i have been very responsible with getting in for blood work. Like telling the doctor no I'm not feeling better. But I'm trying now. My doctor said I can start armor. Tsh 64.18 do that mean anything?

• Posted

I'm sorry to bother you with asking about this but literally I first showed up with hypothyroid when I was 13 now I'm in my 40s. I really messed up and did not take things seriously. Now I find myself getting older and hurting a lot. My whole life I've started and stopped taking my medication Synthroid many many times . Sometimes I went years without taking it. I really waisted my life. Now I've hit rock bottom. I really don't know what normal feels like. Everyone in my life is so burned out on me. Do u think armor can help me? Sorry to put this on u it's just u r the first person ever to discuss any thing about my thyroid with. And sorry I did not mean to jump in on someone's discussion.

• Posted

no problem....thyroid is the thermostat of the body....if thr thermostat goes out in you house, everything goes cold, the pipes freeze, then the pipes burst, and you have an incredible mess to clean up.

This is just some of what your body goes through...

fatigue

weight gain

muscle weakness

always feeling cold

dry skin

constipation

hair loss..breakage

depression

reduced heart rate

The symptoms worsen in direct proportion to how T3 and T4 deficient your body is.

The body can not live without thyroid hormone.

You should consider being completely candid with your physician. And be prepared for a long, very long road back to health.

We are a society that wants everything at warp speed...thyroid is ploddingly slow.

If I make a change in thyroid medication today, my blood will not show the full results of that change for 6 weeks. It is preferred to gradually increase every 6 weeks because if you overshoot optimum, the symptoms of hyper are going to be just as troubling as those of hypo are. In my case, once T4 and TSH were where my endocrinologist wanted them, she increased T3 only. Think radio station, you have reception... and static. So you fine tune the reception with T3 and lose the static.

Pertaining only to those patients on Levothyroxine-Synthroid (T4), about half of these patients will feel great improvement if their T3 is about 75% of normal range, for me that level is about 3.7.

T4 (Thyroxine), named for it's 4 iodine atoms, maintains a relatively stable blood level and is therefore termed long acting.

T3 (Triiodothyronine), named for it's 3 iodine atoms, fluctuates and is therefore termed short acting.

Let us ingest T4 (Thyroxine, brand name Levothyroxine-Synthroid ) Our body takes in T4 and converts the T4 into T3 (Triiodothyronine) through chemical reaction. In other words, our body takes the 4 iodine atoms and converts the 4 iodine atoms into a new compound with only 3 iodine atoms.

So from a strick biological & chemical viewpoint, many say if I can use one chemical compound (T4) to make the other chemical compound (T3) in the body, I only need to administer the T4.

BUT many studies have shown that about half of the patients on T4 feel better taking both T4 and T3.

The argument of Armour's Thyroid versus Synthroid...

One grain of ARMOUR'S THYROID is 60 mg.

Each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains .038 mg (or 38 mcg) of T4

AND each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains 9 mcg of T3 , plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin.

SYNTHROID is all T4

which explains why the addition of CYTOMEL (which is all T3) makes fifty percent or so of SYNTHROID users feel so much better.

Remember T3 is a short half life which is why T4 is prescribed as the backbone of treatment...some of us do not effectively metabolize T4 into T3. For these individuals, supplemental T3 should be considered.

This is a lot for you to digest....

just remember, your pituitary gland secrets TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which is the message for the thyroid to respond....if the thyroid doe not respond, the pituitary gland releases more TSH, calling on the thyroid to respond...the thyroid remains inactive so the pituitary gland releases even more TSH, screaming at the thyroid...

I have no thyroid, lost it to cancer.

My TSH is 0.01 and your TSH is 64.18...see how my pituitary gland is giving a wee whisper while your pituary gland is hoarse from screaming.

And no, you do not want my TSH. I am hyperthyroidic because that is how my endocrinologist must maintain me to avoid a recurrence of the cancer.

If you click on the envelope near by name, you can private message me.

• Posted

Thank u as dumb as it sounds thank u I really want to get better and need to get better. It really helps just someone taking there time to talk with me. I've been over taken by depression. I don't have much feeling of self worth. I have a hard time with remembering thing and everyone in my life is so sick of me. Thank u for your time I have to get to bed. Thank u

• Posted

Omg I'm so sorry I did not mean to b so selfish. I am sorry to hear of your thyroid cancer. I could never have been strong enough to ever get through anything like that

• Posted

thanks for all the answers guys! I am glad we are not alone in this but very unfortunate that we suffer with this.

I went to the Doc again and he did another test and my test came back at

ComponentYour ValueStandard Range

Free T40.97 ng/dL0.61 - 1.27 ng/dL

TSH8.440 uIU/mL0.400 - 4.600 uIU/mL

he said he would prescribe me medicine if I tested for it again. I really hope he does since I feel horrible and I'm starting to get pretty heavy brain fog.

• Posted

Juan, while you're waiting around, please, please, try some of the dietary recommendations and supplements. Thyroid meds aren't really very good in so many ways.

• Posted

Catherine,

I have lost about 10lb in the past 5 or 6 days I been eating healthy and doing exercise since I found out my triglycerides were at 985 I believe this is related to thyroid I have only been gaining weight and I don't know why my GF eatsee more than I do.

• Posted

Rachael, go in for the visit...the vitamin D is a good thing, so is calcium. I think the Armour's Thyroid may be a good thing for you. Remember this did not happen over night and it will not be resolved overnight. Just do not give up.

Catherine is very up on foods we should eat. We need high protein. So read what she writes and feel free to ask her dietary questions.

If you get back on track with both medication and diet, you will stabilize quicker.

warm hugs

• Posted

I still have not talked to my doctor but in the morning I will see someone else from her team. I'm going to ask why after she told me she would change me to armor and now she won't. They increased my Levo 200mc, started me on vit d2 50000ut, and increced my Zoloft to 150mg. This is what my latest bloud work showed.

T4 0.9

T3 2.4

TSH 8.9

But I don't understand why I got

TSH 64.18 on 2/16

TSH 4.82 on 4/16

TSH 47.7 on 5/15

My numbers r all over the place.

• Posted

I still have not talked to my doctor but in the morning I will see someone else from her team. I'm going to ask why after she told me she would change me to armor and now she won't. They increased my Levo 200mc, started me on vit d2 50000ut, and increced my Zoloft to 150mg. This is what my latest bloud work showed.

T4 0.9

T3 2.4

TSH 8.9

But I don't understand why I got

TSH 64.18 on 2/16

TSH 4.82 on 4/16

TSH 47.7 on 5/15

I don't stand why my numbers are so different from each other.

• Posted

Rachael,

I am here for you. I understand your stress. I have been in the same place

Your pituitary gland is releasing a lot of thyroid stimulating hormone because your thyroid is having great difficulty releasing enough T4 to meet the needs of your body.

When your body needs energy, your body takes the T4 and removes one iodine atom and turns it into T3

Think of T3 as the accelerator pedal.

You are hypothyroidic. Your body needs more T4. The T4 must either be made by the thyroid or alternatively swallowed in pill form.

The wild TSH numbers tell me that sometimes your thyroid is putting out T4 and sometimes your thyroid is not releasing T4.

I truly understand how confusing this can be. I have been studying this for years. I am trying to put this thyroid business into more understandable terms..

Please take the vitamin D...my endocrinologist has me on the identical dose. I swallow the pill every Wednesday.

Please take the Levothyroxine 200...your body needs this T4 because your thyroid is not releasing enough T4.

If you faithfully take the Levothyroxine each day, your levels will balance and I promise you will feel like a new person.

Zoloft, at the moment your body needs the sertraline to inhibit the reuptake of serotonin in your brain.

Please commit to this for six months. I will be with you all the time...promise. Once your body is able to balance out, the medications amounts may be reduced. If you take the Levothyroxine faithfully every day, in six months you may need very little Zoloft. My thyroid is balanced...I take Zoloft 50 mg.

You msy private message me anytime.

Big hug, I am on your side. The difficulty today is because you did not take the medication for years.

I admire your courage to do this.

hugs

judith

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.