TSH levels

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been on 10mg carbimazole daily for graves for 18mths with TSH 0. Now it is 5.2. Is this a good thing? I've been leading a holistic lifestyle/diet and hoping this is having a positive effect on correcting my i mmune system! I'd also like to consult a private GP because I believe i would get a more balanced approach. I've heard of people who fluctuate over to active and opt for RAI eventually, which i don't want. I'd be very interested if anyone has had experience of any of the above. Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Not a good thing.  5.2 is hypo and you will not feel good there.  Don’t know why you swung.  Need to know your antibody levels, whether you have Hashimoto’s and what you were taking, what doses when you swung like this.
    • Posted

what is the test called for Hashimoto?  I may need to raise this question to my endo.  She might hate that I've been getting all this info from a forum.  I used to swing on high doses when i change to a clean diet.  But now Im stable 5mg every other day 2.0 on TSH.  Looking back she said "youre the only person i know sensitive to methimazole".  So now curious maybe she doesn't know about Hashimoto and Grave's... she probably ruled out hashimoto since I have Grave's.  I did used to craved a lot of salts back then now i craved less shellfishes and salts.
    • Posted

The anti-TPO test measures inflammation and is used in both Graves and Hashimoto’s.  However, it is usually really elevated in Hashimoto’s.  So along with the Anti-TPO, the test that checks for Hashi’s is TGAb.
    • Posted

Hi  hypnocool

May I ask you what you mean by a clean diet please?

• Posted

Linda

Does having a TPO test  that is 33 suggestive of an auto immune disease?

• Posted

Not necessarily Jane.  Each lab has a range for normal so getting the actual lab report is preferrable so you can see where your results falls in that lab's ranges.  I have seen much higher values than 33. 
    • Posted

In cooking we used iodized, less veggies most fried, fast foods and loves eating out.  When I was diagnosed, I started juicing and drinking this green juice everymorning spinach, kales and apples.  I started cooking at home no more eating out maybe once a month.  Eating only organic foods mostly free from toxins al least I try to have less toxins in my body. Endo ordered me to: No caffeine, no iodized salts, no shellfishes or anything from the ocean. No more junk foods with msg, fat foods(fried foods).  Close to Paleo less processed foods.
  • Posted

I am surprised you are still on 10mg of carbimazole with a tsh of over 5. What are your T4 and T3 levels? Maybe time for you to reduce your dose. What does your doctor say?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.