Tuesday

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well it's on Tuesday this week under general - quite worried now! Thinking of asking for stronger sedation - any one had this

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If it's under general you won't know anything about it, Cath. So no need for additional sedation.
    • Posted

I don't really want a general tbh - speaking with the pre op lady she said speak to them about a deeper sedation instead. So when I go in tomorrow I'll mention it to see what they say. Dreading it tbh - funny thing not sure if anyone else had this. When I had my scope under sedation last time two weeks before I had to stop all PPI's. This time I asked at the pre op should I stop them they asked why?! I said because it gives false readings for the heli bacteria in input stomach. One nurse said no the last nurse who did the physical said she had complained to the doctors as the patients should stop all PPI's two weeks before to get a true test result.

So I stopped them and changed to my H2 ones (Zantac 150mg x2) and oh my it's been an awful two weeks. Heartburn like never before cant sleep properly feel bloated after eating a bit of food. Just awful so I can't wait till Wednesday so I can go back on my omeprazole!!!!

• Posted

Hi there.

I just had the normal sedation and was luckily enough it sent me to sleep! Work up as they were taking it back out which was then my horrible part but the sedation done its job and I could go home 30 minutes later!

I would just ask for a bit stronger sedation and that will do the trick! Hope all goes well!

• Posted

This is what I thought. I've had the scope both ways before in a hospital setting and I remember - put this on your mouth - little bit of gagging then nothing I was waking up being moved to recovery.

So I'm hoping that after talking to them I can have a bit stronger sedation instead of full GA. x

• Posted

Am I missing something here? If you didn't have a problem last time just with sedation, why do they want to give you a GA this time?
    • Posted

I had one ten years ago in hospital an all day thing was ace don't remember a think. The last one - few months ago on the in and out basis at the hospital they give me sedation which did nothing. Then forced the camera on me which I pulled out.

After the last horrific one I can't do it now with out being completely out or heavily sedated

• Posted

Ok well it went really well!! He said we'll try a deeper sedation and if not then a general.

The stronger sedation worked a treat!! I woke up in recovery no pain or anything not even a sore throat.

Hand is sore from the cannula though and I had a big bleed when they took it out just before I went home.

They said I've got a weird shapped stomach - like a J and a hernia. Need stay on PPI's long term

• Posted

Hi Cath, Glad it went well and they found the cause of your problems, and the solution.
  • Posted

I'm going to be very contoversial here. I am a 75 year old woman and I have had many blood tests which have all pointed to iron deficiency aenemia.I have been taking iron tablets for two months and am also on statins. I have suddenly started feeling really well again. My doctor sent my results to a hemotologist who said there was nothing much to worry about but they "may as well" do a gastroscopy to make sure.

This has been a fear all my life.I have had two eye operations without sedation and am fairly brave but sticking a long tube down my throat was a nightmare to me.Nothing on these posts about sedation helps as I fear that too.

I'm afraid I cancelled the appointment as I really felt that other procedures such as a scan or barium meal x ray could have been offered prior to such invasion but They were not offered.Neither was general anaesthetic which I discussed.

It's sad that someone of my age has to feel that they would rather not be subjected to this rather barbaric procedure and to become ill with fear.

Neither my GP or consultant was the least concerned about this and I would love to sit in whilst THEY have it done !!

• Posted

I think you're probably right to have backed out of it, Jackie. But only because of your age. They only give a half-dose of sedation to the over-65s because the sedatives can cause cardiac or respiratory depression. Some older people get away with it and remember nothing - and it's what you remember that counts, of course, not what you experience at the time.

However, some of us are less lucky. In my own case the half-dose of sedation had the effect of depressing my higher intellectual centres (that might have helped me cooperate) while leaving the primitive fight-or-flight centres in charge. It was a very unpleasant experience and I remember every detail.

I quite understand your fear of gastroscopy, in comparison with your courage facing other procedures. I've yet to have my cataract op, but I once had a root-canal job done without any anaesthesia - the local didn't work because I have arthritic calcifications in my teeth. While I'd rather not go through that again if at all possible, it doesn't compare to the gastroscopy!

In your case it sounds as if you made the right decision anyway. A lot of invasive tests are done in the interests of defensive medicine. I can sympathise with the doctors, what with patients demanding investigations and treatments, coupled with today's rising levels of legal action against them, but I wish they'd make real options clearer to patients.

Just in case there are any younger patients reading this, I'd stress that sedation always works for the under-65s. You'll come through the procedure without remembering a single thing about it. It's only us oldies - and not even all of us - who have a problem. If I ever really had to have a gastroscopy again, I think I'd probably opt for throat-spray only, in spite of my terror of the procedure. That way, at least I'd be in control of myself.

• Posted

Thank you so much Lily for making me feel a little less guilty.Like you, I have always had dental work done without sedation or even anaesthetic, my eye operation was  one hour surgery for a detached retina with only the eye anaesthetic and no sedation,also the cataract again without sedation( a wonderful procedure which only took ten minutes) I am going to ask again for x rays if thought neccessary but I feel very clear that I will not have a gastroscopy.

best wishes

• Posted

Hi Jackie. I am 65, almost 66 and have terrible GERD which causes me to have severe ectopic heart beats and sometimes these make me feel faint. I really need a gastroscopy done as I need to know what is going on inside my stomach. They booked me on for one, but with my doctors support and my writing a letter expalining my fears and so on, they agreed to do it under general. 

It i worth writing in and asking. I know a few people mwho have had it under general and it was all fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.