Turmeric

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm on MTX injections, hydroxychloroquine and prednisone, none of which have helped.   I was also on sulfasalazine which also din't work and gave me terrible side effects so that was discontinued.   I'm basically crippled due to the pain and not being able to use my hands.   In desperation I tried cutting out all processed foods, nightshades, wheat products, dairy, and meat as well as all inflamatory foods.   I've only been on this diet for around three weeks so wouldn't expect any results yet.   A few days ago I also decided to try turmeric after watching a show on TV expounding it's properties.   The second day I took it I felt a little better, even though I was only taking 150 mgs so upped my dose to 600mgs and things seemed better, not so much pain but recouperating after a flare.   I'm not sure if it's the turmeric or the diet and I'm still basically crippled but something appears to have improved my symptoms a tiny bit.    I'm still very limited in what I can do with my hands (screwdrivers and lifting are out of the question) but I spent a good part of yesterday working in my workshop, the first time I've been able to do that for months, I was expecting to suffer greatly this morning; but, surprisingly despite being quite sore when I awoke the pain has disipated a little.   Normally after that amount of activity I would be relegated to bed for close to a week, yet here I am sitting at my computer and thinking of heading off to my workshop again.   As I said I'm not sure if it's the turmeric or the diet but something appears to have worked, however limited.   Give it a shot, if nothing else you get to swallow a few more pills and we all love that, right?   As a side note, I've also managed to decrease my prednisone intake without suffering any ill effects, something I haven't been able to do for a long, long time.   Despite it only being a few days I'm thinking of decreasing the prednosne again.   Incidentally, I'm a great disbeleiver in alternative remedies!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Don't decrease the preds too quickly! Take it nice and slowly, very slowly.

It does sound as if the turmeric is having a good effect – more likely than the diet, so soon. But keep them both up and monitor your reactions and let us know. If you truly have a good story to tell re diet, let the alternatives group know too.

Turmeric does have a good reputation for reducing inflammation.

And all is not lost! If the worst comes to the worst, there are still the biologics group of drugs to try...!

• Posted

Tumeric helps me. Iuse it in recipes. My venison chilie is heavily laden with tumeric, cumin and chile peppers. The combo makes me feel better. I know it   is not supposed to, it just does. Getting off Prednisone is good. I take very little if any.

I am not a doctor, but, it sounds like you are on too many meds. Get another doctor.

• Posted

I think the same as Light- don't decrease pred too quickly. So pleased you have found something to help while you wait for your biologic( must be soon)

because your RA isn't under proper control yet reducing pred can make  you flare again. I first had a biologic a year ago. It has worked for me and brought me into remission but I have tapered down from 7 half mg pred over a year. Just stopped pred and no bad effects at any stage doing it that slowly( and 7 half is considered a low dose anyway)

all the best

• Posted

No biologics have been put on hold for at least another month until until they the lung problem.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear thatfrown

my biologic was changed from tocilizumab to Rituximab because they discovered RA related lung fibrosis on my CT scan.

hope they find something suitable for you.

• Posted

My Rheumy said for me to take 1000-1500 mg Curcumin, i took 1000,  but it did not help me one bit. It did bother my stomach, so she said try another brand, I found one that said it was better absorbed, but still no difference.  I put Tumeric in my eggs, yes, with fresh ground black pepper, but still not really notice. Even included ginger. 

So, for some people it helps and I'm SO happy for them! So happy for you Tony, keep it going. 

The only thing I've found to help is meditation including deep breathing, and yoga, and Bowen. And perhaps healthy eating, but sure will be glad when all the pain is gone and/or I can get back to a healthy active life. 

Inflammation...be gone! wink 

• Posted

Unfortunately, not all remedies/treatments suit everyone, the turmeric certainly has an effect on me but still there is plenty and I mean plenty of pain.   Google IF ratings and try eliminating foods that are rated highly inflamatory, hasn't worked for me but you may be lucky,
    • Posted

Yes. The pain doesn't get eliminated, only reduced. So sorry about that for you.

Pain killers are all that'll do it. Be patient.

• Posted

You didn't mention how long you have been on these meds.  They're the standard 1st line therapy and it takes some time for the effects to kick in, plus the dosages of each of these can be increased.  Too bad the sulf didn't work out for you--it adds incrementally to the benefit of meth.

Turmeric doesn't do anything for me, but I take it anyway.  Early on, I noticed a benefit with Bromelaine--an extract from pineapple core. I found it in a specialty whole foods grocery store.  When I'm consistent with the meds and supplements (including fish oil, folate, vitD), I feel much better.  But it takes time, and if I'm having a week of skipped meds, it takes time to get back to where I was.  This autoimmune reaction is relentless.

• Posted

Why would you skip meds for a week?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.