Turned onto side in bed this morning!

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am just over 4 weeks PO and desperate to stop sleeping on my back. This morning I really felt like I could move onto my (non operated) side, so I did and it felt great! The ache from my lower back was still there but it felt so good to be in a more natural position for me. I folded over a pillow and wedged it between my knees and calves. I only stayed in this position for about 5 mins or so as I am conscious of my post op advice of waiting until the 6 week marker had passed. Nice to know that the temporary option is there for when my back ache gets too much, though. ☺

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Dawn , I got desperate too and after 5 days lay for short periods on my good side with pillows between my legs . One physio said it was ok if I was made sure top leg didn't cross over . I then read on this site about a special cushion you can buy so you can sleep on your good side without worrying about rolling over . I sent for one And Its great . I managed an hour at first then became achy and now sleep about 4 hours like it . I'll see if I can find the link for you, otherwise just put cushions. between your legs . Just don't cross the bad leg over the top xx

Emis Moderator comment: I have deleted the other post with product/company names/link as we do not allow posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks Nikki, I'll have a search and see what I can find. Would be good to get 4 hours on my side! xx
    • Posted

Nikki,

I have put that cushion link on my website

it's at the bottom of  "06 ►Home preparation"

• Posted

It looks good, but too late for me ......... not too bulky between the legs, but will certainly stop you turning about in bed.
  • Posted

Have the Physical Therapists gotten to torture you yet? 
    • Posted

Since my discharge I haven't had any contact with physio or any other medical profession. I left hospital with my A4 exercise sheet and that's it. My first appt is with the consultant at 6 weeks. Presumably if he doesn't think I'm making good progress he'll refer me to the physio. But I'm just guessing!
    • Posted

That's terrible - you could be improving so much better and quicker with the right guidance.

I find it amazing that the hospitals do not put that in place to support the work they and the surgeon have done, and to prevent you having to have even more work done - a sign of the short-sighted attitude of today's NHS I suppose.

Graham

• Posted

I couldn't agree more. I was fortunate in that I was in a private Spire hospital bur was paid for by the NHS. However I was surprised to be discharged with no physio appt. Saying that, I was so pleased to leave and get home that I didn't think about it until I was home a couple of days. Its great that I found this forum, I have gleaned loads of advice and tips from it. I think I'm doing ok in terms of progress but who knows! I may ring the hospital on Monday to see if I have slipped through the net in terms of follow up appointments.
  • Posted

Hi Dawn,

I slept on my side from 4 weeks, and slept so well that I did not go back to

Sleeping on my back, of course I used a pillow in between my knees.

I think sleeping so well from 4 weeks onwards really helped me recovery fast and well. I'm now 13 weeks post of and doing everything, including walking 2 hours a day.

Veronica

• Posted

Wow, sounds like you're doing great, 2 hours walking per day. That is definitely something to aim for.
  • Posted

I tried to, like you so fed up with sleeping on my back, i did it for about 10 mins, but kept pillow between my legs and perfectly still. First thing i did after 6 week check, slept on my side nearly all night.

sue

• Posted

I managed to hold out until 6 weeks the first time, but it was a struggle, i tried rolling to 45 degrees, flexing my knees, all sorts to get comfortable, mostly without success. Having tasted the freedom that getting on my side brought, I really want to get to do it again after my failed revision.

This time because I seem to be recovering really fast (i am a "special case" after all twisted) I have been rotating bit-by-bit since week 2 .... now at week 4, and able to go onto my sides for 30-60 minutes at a time.

Hope you get comfy soon.

Graham

• Posted

hi dawn , 

I am so sorry for all of you who were told to sleep on your back for 6 weeks !!! 

That sounds so stressful  - My surgeon told me that he would prefer that I sleep on my back for 6 weeks, but if that is too challenging, the nurses would show me how to sleep on my side (unoperated) with pillow between knees - I was taught how to turn on side as well back to back - It was important though to lie stretched out on back for at least 20-30 minutes a couple of times a day ...

To be honest, since I had a choice, I found myself more laying on my back than on side ---surprisedredface

Big warm hug --- you're almost done 

renee

• Posted

Thanks Renee, it's yet another milestone passes, albeit briefly. Good for morale though! 😊
  • Posted

It's definitely so much more comfortable sleeping on ones side but to make it easier on my back I used 3 pillows plus of course the one between the legs. I found that if I wanted to turn onto my non op right side in the night I used my left hand to grab under the matress and pull myself over using arm muscles rather than back and hip.

After 15wpo  for me non op side sleeping is fine but I  still can't sleep on all the lumps and bumps on the op side but surgeon yesterday said that's quite normal 

• Posted

Yes, I can well imagine that the op side is still a fair few weeks down the line before I try that. 😨
    • Posted

Hi Colin 

lim 10 wks po and am managing short periods on my good side, however because of lumps and bumps can't manage on op side at all, good to know that all the lumps and bumps are normal 😃😃😃

• Posted

Interesting how different everyone is. Ive heen side sleeping since day of surgery and at 3 weeks post op I can walk up to an hour with no issue. I am pretty much running my own home, bend using golfers bend and although I still find sitting hard I can now manage an hour or more before I have to get up for a walk. I go out with friends almost every day and either shop of have lunch. Will I crash and burn? Lol
    • Posted

Notonly are we all different, but I am totally different this time around to last time.  Last time I was able to sleep on the operated side quite easily, and not on the non-operated side.  This time, the exact opposite, I can manage about two seconds on my operated side before the pain in the lower scar area is too much, and maybe 30 minutes on the unoperated side before the pain in my shoulder (not the operation site) gets too much.  The damage to my shoulder was caused by walking for miles with one walking stick in that hand. sad

Graham

• Posted

Hi Graham

Update on the lack of physio contact since being discarged, as discussed further up the trail.

I called the Spire this morning and was advised that they only offer follow up physio appts to those who have had knee replacements. The general and only advice they offer to post op hippies is to get up and move about! 🏃

Dawn

• Posted

I think that is rubbish, Hip ops need as much, if not more physio than knees.

I think we need to go to  "i want great care . org" website

• Posted

Hi Dawn, I had my op at a Spire hospital paid for by the NHS too but I got a physio appointment after by post. Some inconsistency here! Rosemary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.