TURP Feedback Request

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled for bipolar TURP on 9/2/16.  I would like feedback from men experience with TURP, recovery, side effects, etc, especially for those with a large prostate.  My prostate is 100g, and I am concerned that the recovery, complications and side effects might be worse with larger prostates?

I believe that recovery might be slightly better with bipolar TURP compared to standard monopolar TURP?

I believe that my prostate is too large for urolift?

I would prefer PAE or another less invasive procedure than TURP.  But the problem is that I have about 25 bladder stones and at least 1 ureter stone that need to be surgically removed, somewhat urgently.  I am close to acute retention.  If I have the stones removed, without TURP, then the trauma to my prostate/urethra will put me into acute retention until substantial improvement is realized via PAE, requiring probably months of catheterization, and even then it might not work.  I am not a fan of catheterization, especially long-term, but the idea of TURP is scary.  My surgeon said that there is a "chance" that 2 TURPs might be necessary, due to the fact that my prostate volume is large and the stone removal.

I would especially appreciate TURP feedback from men with larger prostates.  With feedback, please include the pre-surgery size of your prostate, if possible.

Thanks.  Mark

0 likes, 56 replies

56 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Mark, you didn't say anything about your doctor but if he/she is not at a major medical center, I would get a second opinion from a doc who is. Also, I've been hearing good things about HOLEP laser procedure. There's quite a bit you can read about it in this forum. Right now, I'm in the same boat as you and trying to decide what's next. I'm buying time with Rapaflo and self-catheterization. I'm sure others here will have more valuable info for you. Good luck!

• Posted

I had 3 bladder stones prior to my turp
    • Posted

I'm sorry 6 bladder stones, 250 cc of retained infected urine and  my prostrate was blocking urethra urine flow. 40 gram prostate but still causing urethral blockage. Very slow urine stream 3.2 cc/sec that was not helped at all by flomax. I would insist on one operation and that would be it. I would not let anyone touch you down there a second time.

Steve

• Posted

Steve - What was recovery like from your TURP?  Are you happy with the outcome?  Thanks.  Mark
    • Posted

No Mark,  I'm not happy with the outcome. I do not like the retro, but what are you going to do.

I'm still a human being, though and I'm sure thay one day I will find the Love of a woman who this really won't matter much to. After all, I'm 65. What am I going to do with kids at my age !!

• Posted

I'm sorry !! I just turned 66

• Posted

Sorry for the problem.  I'm 61 and not having any kids but I could not take retro. Had it with some pills I was on.  The orgasm were not good and it just went flat.  I know that I have read some post that some men that have the turp procedure do not enjoy sex anymore and just stopped  That is a shame.  Mark you see Steven is not happy Don't let the doctors force you into a turp.  Life is to short to take away anything from us....Ken  

• Posted

Hi Steve - Thanks for the reply.  Sorry that you are not happy with the outcome.  I assume that at least you can urinate OK, which is important for a decent life.  Hopefully, the TURP recovery was not diffficult.  Hope that the day that you find the Love that you are looking for will be soon and you will be very happy together.  Thank you for your advice.  Mark
    • Posted

I know I phase it wrong.  It was to Mark  You can't do it over and alot of men are not happy.  He still has a choise.  September 2nd is just around the conner He better call it off  Have a good day  Ken

• Posted

Peeing is important but sex means a lot for a full life.  I would never give up one for the other.  I want it all.  No doctor is going to distroy my life.  Mark you have a hard choise.  But right now you still do. There is no turning back after it done.  There are alot of men that wish they could. You may be the one of the ones that nothing works at all and end up having to have a catheter.  Some time it take over a year to heal.  I read a post on this site from a man that said that he wish that he could go back and cancel his turp.  After 3 years he still has blood in his urine. We are to enjoy life not get rid of one problem for many others...Think please before it to late  Ken    
    • Posted

Hi Ken - You are happy with urolift.  But my prostate is 100g and I understand that 80g is the maximum limit.  Could you please ask your urologist about this?

Also, I am wondering if I could have 20g taken out with a mini-TURP, probably where the prostate is growing into the bladder, and then have a urolift, protecting sexual functions?  Thanks.  Mark

• Posted

Sorry Mark, standard TURP doesn't work that way!  I never heard of a "mini-TURP," and the regular TURP, once they atart reaming, does all the collateral damage.

Urolift guidelines seem to be ever-evolving; I'd suggest you Google "oversized prostate" and "Urolift" together, and see whatcha come up with.  If you are in the States, you might want to consult my uro-doc, Steve Ganges in Salt Lake City.  He did the trials for the FDA approval, and has done more of 'em than anyone else in the US.  If you're in the UK, there's someone even more experienced; you just have to find out who s/he is, and ask...

• Posted

You can't do a mini TURP, but PAE or Rezum could do what you described and if your prostate is too big for Urolift, one of them could quite possibly solve your problem by themselves

• Posted

Thanks - I heard that 80g was the largest size for REZUM; mine is 100g.  Mark
    • Posted

There are docs doing it on much bigger ones now. Getting the full impact takes longer on those, but it seems to work just as well from what I've read/heard.

• Posted

Hey Mark  Just got back from vacation I will send him a e-mail and ask.  I don't know if they can do it We will see.  Ken

• Posted

Do you know how long it would take to get a substantial improvement for a 100g prostate?  Where can I read about bigger ones?  Thanks.  Mark
    • Posted

Your mileage may vary, but you should see some improvement in about 8 weeks but on a big prostate it could take close to 6 Months to feel the full effect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.