Turp Operation pending.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My Urologist has advised again of having Turp as I am continually getting infections and have had sepsis 4 times in the past year. I have a very enlarged prostrate. I have decided to go ahead.  Iam asking for support of whether anyone has had successful results. Iam a. 83 yr old.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Howdy: 

Monte Goodner here and coming to you from Hockley, Texas.  I am 61 years old and have had an enlarged prostate since my mid-20's.  Mine is about the size of a lemmon and I have suffered not only urinary dysfunction, but multiple infections, the worst of which bacled-up into both kidneys and both testicles.  I had the Urolift procedure last December and my functions are simply amazing.  I would ask about whether or not you are a candidate for Urolift; it is quick and painless; the recovery time is only about a week of mild discomfort and the results, at least for me, are remarkable.

Best of luck,

M

• Posted

Hi

Please look into both Urolift and PAE on this Forum.

These are low risk procedures which could well be the right thing for you.

good luck

• Posted

I have been having infection for 13 years.  I also have a stricture that does not help.  I had a urolift done last year.  All went well.  Think about having a urolift.  I think at your age a turp your recovering would be harder....Ken 
  • Posted

Howdy:

Monte Goodner here again after reading some other replies, the best of which drew attention to the fact that recovery from Turp could be difficult at your age.  I'm not a physician, I'm just a guy who had all of the same problems; all of the same options and choices to make and going with continued medication, e.g., Flomax and Avadart was simply not a choice for me becaue of the side effects.  The Urolift procedure in minimally invasive, although I had visions of the procedure being like stuffing a Black & Decker Snake Light and a stapler up the end of my dang deal, but there was no bruising or pain and today, I can start and stop a flow at will and wiz like a ten year old.  The Urolift option is strongly encouraged.

Best of luck,

• Posted

Before turp look into green light laser surgery. From what i have read it is a better choice. 
  • Posted

I am 62 yr. old, just had turp on Jan. 20, 2016.  I am very glade I had it.  I do not know what size my prostrate was.  I only pass a little blood about twice a day.  I am very tired still.  I am drinking the 4 pints of water a day and I think that is helping with the healing.  I never had infections yet,  but could not go without flomax.  Be sure and drink lots of water and walk when they let you.  Let us know how it goes.
    • Posted

Barry I'm glad it worked good for you. Can you tell me why you picked to have a Turp.  Did you look into any other procedures.  I had a Urolift done last year.  Worked great off all pills and sleep all night.  I picked the urolift because of the side effects.  No one is going to cut or burn anything away from my prostate.  Take care  Ken    
    • Posted

I choose the turp, due to my doc recomending it.  I did look into other procedures, but something that has stood the test of time.  I know that each person is different, my dad who will be 88 this week had this over twenty yrs ago and had great results.
    • Posted

Thank you for telling me.  I know it should not matter but I would never have anything done to my prostate that would cause dry orgasms.  That was my main concern.  Had them when I was on a pill the urologist gave me.  They did not feel the best and hurt my bladder.  Take care and I hope you keep in good health..Ken  
    • Posted

do not know if that has happened for sure yet, but it did not happen with the meds.
    • Posted

Lets hope not.  But thats a given when they core out the prostate.  They destroy the muscle at the base of the bladder.  I have read that they do have a pill to help that if it happens.  Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

I have same to report, Urolift done in December, after MUCH reading, and ruling out TURP and gree-light.  Am completely satisfied: off meds and sleep through the night!  :-)
    • Posted

I had a urologist who pushed TURP in Aug of 2014.  I read up on possible/predictably side effects, and said NFW, there must be another way.  I self-cathed while searching, eventually finding Urolift.  That same urologist had by that time also found it and was training.  He told me to keep cathing, and he would "do me" in November when he was certified.  My situation was a tad unusual, and I politely declined his lack of expertise.  Instead, I found Dr. Steve Ganges in SaltLake UT, who did the original trials of Urolift for the FDA.  He is a whiz, and I recommend him unconditionally.  The procedure worked, I'm back to peeing normally throughout the day(with residual distended bladder which I empty at night via cath).  No side effects and I'm off all meds.  Oh--- and three days after surgery, I was back home in PA, stacking firewood, with no problems.  Seriously.  Can't recommend it enough!
    • Posted

Yes it works great.   lot of the older urologist push a turp because it's the gold stander.  They tell you everything will be the same but it's not retro orgasm does not feel the same.  It hurt my bladder and I felt out of sorts.  Take care ken
    • Posted

Well, the old Gold Standard has a lead foot!  :-P  I hope the Urolift proves to be the the new go-to answer!  Sorry that you got sucked into TURP!  :-(
    • Posted

don't be, I am doing great and not sorry about my choice, it has been two and half weeks, no pain and great stream, only up once in the night.  No meds needed.
    • Posted

GREAT!  Nice to hear a "success story" with TURP!  :-)   Congrats!  TURP has been the "Gold Standard" for a reason, after all.  That said, for those of us who are/were able to have the Urolift, there are advantages there.   Again, congrats on being able to report positively on your choice of pathways!  :-D  Btw, my father, who is 89, also had TURP done, about 7 or 8 years ago, and was fine with it.  For me, less invasive, less physical and physiological impact, was what mattered most to me. Nice that we now have choices!  :-)
    • Posted

I think alot of men don't get enough information and take the doctors word.  Read about a guy I think his nam was bob.  He was having some problems went to the doctor and he did some test.  The urologist told him that a turp would fix his proplem.  The doctor told him that being the holidays he would have to wait till the first of the year but he had a opening the next day if you whated it done so he say yes.  24 hour to diside.  Now he is still having problem and he has the side effects for it.  He said that he should have not done it because the doctor nover told him everything that would happen..  Once it's done your done Ken   
    • Posted

Yes, and wow, so sad and probably way too common a story.  Another thing I liked about the Urolift surgery(aside from being able to stack firewood three days later without problems!  :-)  ), is that it's reversible, if needed!!!  My Uro-doc complimented me, in our phone coversation yesterday, saying that I'm better read than most guys he talks to, about my situation.  Well, there's a good reason for it--- and Dr. Steve (Ganges) nailed it, when he said, "We surgeons tend to be rather arrogant."  Indeed.  Dr. Steve, however, ain't one of them!  :-)  Also, my regular urologist (whom I'm looking to replace) never has time to really sit down and discuss stuff with me; it's almost like, "I'm the guy with the answers, I'm the professional, just listen to me!"  I feel like  he's thinking, "Can I trim this appointment down to less than 15 minutes with this guy?"  If I'd listened to him, I woulda have had a TURP a year and a half ago.  When I told that doc, 17 months ago, that I was going to cath and research the question, he smiled and said, "Okay, but you'll be back..."  Yeah, well...
    • Posted

You need to fiind a new urologist.  Mine is great very nice guy not in a rush. I live in Orlando  If I done understand what you is saying he will repeat it and once he ever draw a picture so I could understand it. I'm going in on the 17th for a repair of one of the implants.  I had a prostate infection that messed one up.  While he in there I am having him check my prostate and bladder to make sure that all is ok  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Thanks for the nudge, and yes, "New urologist" is on the To Do List!  :-)  Good luck with the implant repair.  And... do you know how many he installed?  I had the maximum, six, installed.  And from my follow-up conversations with the Uro-doc, he's now admitting pleasant surprise at how well it went.  Immediately post-op, I climbed off the table, after telling the nurse I had to pee, and then did so, immediately.   Hurt like hell, but it was the first "free pee" in 15 months!  The doc high-fived me when I saw him 5 minutes after.  And now, still good!  So, you had how many implants?  And has the missing one impacted your quality of life?
    • Posted

I had 4 put in.  He found it when he check my stricture.  The only problem I had was a few times I had a little trouble starting to pee and had a few orgasms that hurt. I think the needle was sticking into the prostate.  I tryed to stop the orgasm but oh well.  It's been ok now.  I'm not worried I trust my doctor and he know what is best and what I will go for.  When I had my urolift done I had a catheter put in.  I have a problem peeing on demand and we talked and he felt it would be better for me.  They do like you to pee before you go home.  And I would rather have it done while I'm out they have one put in while I'm awake.  I have never felt them and done even know there there....It will be a year in April  Ken
    • Posted

(I just lost my long reply, by not hitting "Reply"  :-(    I went for the most experienced guy in the country, since mine was a little tricky.  Dr. Steve Ganges did the trials for FDA approval, so I figure he knows more than anybody!  All worked out well.  We're all squeamish about different things, I guess.  Having cathed 2,000+ times by now, I consider myself a "Cath-Meister" by now.  And SO much better than "wearing a bag,"  UGH!  Now, THAT makes me squeamish!  :-)  Good luck with the repairs!
    • Posted

I uess if I had to I would get use to it.  Only had one in when I had the urolift done.  It was put in when I was asleep.  That was the second time.  The first time was a horror story.  Never told me what they were doing took my pants off and forced a catheter in.  It hurt .  After that I gave up force another one in and was yelling at me do I have a prostate problem.  After they lift without a word I had to call a nurse to clean be up there was blood coming out of my penis and it was all over my gown.  They will never do anything to me again without me knowing first.. The only good thing that came out of it was I found a good urologist.  He cares about his patients..Ken  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.