tvt division and sling in place?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi ive had a tvt for about a yr, i had difficulty voiding afterwards and had to have a cathetar fitted then also had to self cathetarize for a while but had reccuring water infections so stopped.. since then ive had difficulty emptying propperly so now my consultant has offered me a tvt division and a possible sling put in place if leakage occures again... i dont know what to do for the best as somebody has just told me that it can cause worse problems with leakage after division  and not good with sling either please advise thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think a good Urogynaecologist would suggest surgery if it wasn't going to work or it made things worse. He signs the Hippocratic Oath to do his patients no harm so talk to him about your concerns, he knows you better than we do on this forum. Make an appointment and take a list of questions with you, I'm sure he'll reassure you. I can't think of any reason why it would make things worse to be honest but he's the expert.
    • Posted

hi im just looking for peoples different experiances to get a better idea . she did advise me that it would possibly cause leakage after the tvt is divided but said she could try bulking the eureatha or doing a bikkini cut and useing my skin as a sling which i was ok to go ahead with until ive just spoke to somebody who knew a friend who had same thing and im having second thoughts. i suppose i could discuss this at my pre op?
    • Posted

You need time to think about this nadine because it's a big decision and your consultant has told you of the risks. Bulking the urethra could help and a abdominal incision will give her the chance to see more clearly and can be more accurate. Remember everyone is different so try not to think about someone else who has had surgery that didn't work because a lot depends on previous surgical history. A friend of mine has just had a sling and is a new woman. Is your consultant a Urogynaecologist as apposed to a gynaecologist? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.