Two Shoulders at Once! Really??

Posted , 9 users are following.

i am 16 months into FS in my left shoulder. PT, injections, fluid distension and really no improvement. Now I think it's in my right. At first I thought maybe my right just hurts from over use as the pain isn't too bad and my rom is fine, BUT when I do those lovely fast movements, I get that crazy, debilitating pain. OMG, can this really be happening at the same time? Has anyone else experienced this at the same time? How in the world did you cope? Thank. 

3 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That definitely sounds like stage 1 creeping into your right side. There are a few people on this forum who've been there. I hope they reply, because that sounds absolutely horrible. I can only pray and wish you the best. I hope it isn't what it seems. 😢
  • Posted

I have had frozen shoulder it is very painful. The scan showed collagen build up on the top of my shoulder joint. The collagen continued to build up from an old injury and became unbearable. The dr used Xiaflex injections dissolved thru the cobweb like structure from the collagen build up in the shoulder joint area around the facia ligament tissue. Therapy and exercises helped get my arm movement back with no pain . 

Im not sure if Xiflex injections will help you it worth checking into if your FS has the same causation.

TC&GB

• Posted

Hi Slibby,

I don't have classic Adhesive Capsulitis (AC) in both arms. What I do have, is an old injury to my left, my non-dominant arm. I avulsed my humeral head at the surgical neck, basically I broke the ball off the long part of the bone, and it healed rotated upside down and backwards. After 3 years, it was eventually rebroken and plated and pinned. That was 12 years ago. It left me with extremely limited ROM and radial nerve compression. I learned to deal with it. Then started getting pain in my right arm a little over a year ago. I stuck it out until the pain became excruciating when I moved it the wrong way. I was diagnosed w/ the AC 3 months ago, but I have been warned to not use my dominant arm if I ever want to get back to normal ROM. I'm not coping great, so I can't answer your question, but sometimes it's good to know you're not alone.

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone, but after reading these stories I kind of wish I was! We shouldn't have to just "deal with it", "suck it up" or "wait it out". I'm so sorry.
    • Posted

Hi sibyl,

keep going in for opinions there are options to help you thru this. Injections to cope with the pain to special arm and shoulder braces. keep the rest of your core strength strong wil help not add stress to your shoulder. I wen in weekly for pain injections. Helped thru the pain break thru. Then Xialaflex injection unlocked my arm. 

TC&GB

TC&GB

• Posted

It's hard for people to understand, I think. I'm a doer! Always have been. I'm sure you are too. I have four kids, their older now. I have two left in college. I used to be able to occupy myself with other things, one armed, but I did it. It took my mind off my other pain, but now it's impossible to take a proactive role in helping myself. I'm still in the pain stage, I'm getting my second steroid injection in a few days, and I already had a Toradol injection. We'll have to see how it goes. I'm lucky I have great providers. My pt is the same one I've been working with since my original injury. I'm in therapy 2x/week to keep neuromuscular spasm under control from my original injury. Patience isn't my strong suit. Hang in there. I hope you have overdone it a bit, and are not dealing with the AC in both arms. Has that been confirmed?
    • Posted

Michelle, no it hasn't been confirmed by my doctor but my physiotherapist did say it was FS. I have tried steroid injections and one injection with distension but it did nothing. I have three kids (4,6 and 7) so I just try to keep busy and forget about the pain. 
    • Posted

My goodness, 4,6,&7! You have no choice but to keep busy. I was told by my doctors, that if I "overdo it" which really means just "doing", that I would run the risk of having limited ROM, in both arms, for the rest of my life. I'm used to working through the psin, but I've been told to stop. The hardest part is being a compliant patient.

I hope you have help, but I also know that asking for it is the hardest part. Reach out, if you ever feel the need to chat. I know sometimes I get tired of hearing myself say, "my arms hurt." When you're talking to someone who understands, and honestly someone who you don't know personally, somehow it helps. Finding this forum today has been a blessing. Knowing that someone else really understands, makes it a bit easier to unload. Thank you for that. I don't like that others are dealing with this, but we may as well try to help each other through it.

Be well.

• Posted

Hi,

I was wondering if you could let me know what type of injection you received on a weekly basis? I recieved a cortizone injection, specifically depo medrol, 1 month ago. Within a week of having the injection I went from having non-stop excruciating pain to almost complete relief. Unfortunately the pain started slowly creeping back in about a week ago and it is steadily getting worse. My orthopedic surgeon is very conservative with steriod injections and will only give them every 6 months. If the pain comes back full force again, I cannot fathom waiting 5 more months to have another injection :-/

Also, you mentioned a shoulder brace? Is this something you can get over the counter or did a Dr. provide it?

I have been suffering with FS in my left shoulder for a couple of months and I feel it coming on in my right shoulder. Trying to learn as much as I can now so that I'm more "prepared".

Thanks so much!

• Posted

As mentioned above sometime Xiaflex injections can help as in my case I had a injury and collagen had built up around the injury like a thick enough to loose ROM. 

Xiaflex has been approved by the FDA for FS in 2014. It is a protien that dissolves the collagen blocking ROM that in some FS can help regain ROM. along with therapy and shoulder brace . 

• Posted

It's important to rest and just THR weight of mr arm was painfu. I took a few days to rest wear a area sling and it was much better. Then carful protect your arms. It takes months to heel.xiaflex may be worth checking into for FS. It was approved by the FDA in 2014.

• Posted

Hi,

I saw your post on the Xiaflex. I've already been looking at studies. I will mention it to my doc and pt. It's good to know that it is FDA approved. The few sites I saw were dated in 2013. I would imagine that I have to get through the pain stage first, before that is an option. Correct?

• Posted

Great glad to hear your looking into it. It reall helped my shoulder, fingers and wrists.

TC&GB

• Posted

OPPS.... forgot to address the pain ? I don't know how much pain you are coping with. I think that would be best addressed with your doc.

TC&GB

• Posted

I already am. Like I said, I am very lucky to have some excellent providers whom I can trust. I like to stay informed, so it appears I have found a gold mine with information and support when I stumbled across this forum today. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.