Two Sigmoidoscopies, Colonoscopy next?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had two sigmoidoscopies done for rectal bleeding, I'm 26. Both scopes were done to the splenic flexure of my colon. It's a small amount of bright red blood on the surface of the stool that can be wiped off. None on the paper, none in the bowl. I've had constipation my entire life with hard stools and straining. Miralax/Colace help but I don't take it all the time. I don't see blood if I'm on a softener. Since both scopes came back normal,not even hemmroids or fissure, they said I should do colonoscopy. From my understanding, I thought fresh blood was from the descending colon? Now I'm really freaking scared.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Don't be scared Megan - they are only trying to find the source of the bleeding and generally, as you mention, brighter blood usually indicates a source lower down.

I had a colonoscopy last week and it wasn't as painful as many describe - I opted for painkiller (Fentanyl) and bowel relaxant (Boscopan). It was done by a nhs consultant who had done many within his professional practice (They recommend at least 300 a year for colonoscopists to keep their skills up!)

tbh - I'd much rather have the colonoscopy to rule out or deal with anything as soon as possible. They can even detect crohns desease which may be responsible for similar symptoms.

I too had blood in stools, though I would describe it as dark, plus anaemia and was really worried about colon cancer; but they found no polyps and no suspician of cancer, but it was really reassuring to rule that out at least. Plus, if they had found polyps that can turn into cancer, the colonoscopist could have removed them - so anyway you look at it - the procedure makes sense.

• Posted

Thanks for your insight. I have noticed that I'm very very red "down there" after a bowel movement. Almost severely. They didn't mention anything but I looked and it's usually right after.
  • Posted

As a rule the fresher and brighter the read then the nearer the end of the colon it is for obvious reasons but I expect there are exceptions to that. Fissure and piles generally show on the paper so the way you describe does suggest to me a small bleed somewhere. Best to get it checked out. Everyone always fears the obvious but bleeding can have lots of causes. Whatever it is, best to find it while it is still producing mild symptoms. Oddly, I find a colonoscopy less uncomfortable than the sigmoidoscopy. I don't think there is any need to get unduly worried (I know we all say that and never follow our own advice) but you would be devastated if something developed and you had decided to risk it when it could have been sorted now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.