Two weeks post op and I'm doing fine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone

It's been 2 weeks since I had my PKR and I think I'm doing well.  The last 3 nights I have slept straight through without taking the codeine, still taking the Paracetamol and Ibuprofen regularly throughout the day though.  The mornings have been the worst, up until several days ago, when I always felt as though I was back to square one again.  However, depending on what I have done the day before, I can now be pretty much pain free when I get out of bed now, yippeee.

The swelling has gone down considerably although the restriction I feel when doing the exercises makes me think that it's probably all still 'tight' and swollen on the inside and that's what is preventing a full bend and full straightness.  I can walk without aids now, although I'm still using one stick when I'm outdoors as a safety blanket.

I don't know if it's your experience or not, but I have noticed that what I do today will effect me tomorrow.  So, last week a friend came to visit for the day and we walked to a local coffee shop and back, approx 2 miles.  The next day my poor knee was very sore, it's knowing where the balance is between doing 'enough' and not doing too much, trial and error I suppose.

I'm keeping my leg elevated pretty much all the time that I'm sitting down now, is that correct?  Also, I've taken the TED stocking off, I just find them too hot, I've got my first outpatient physio appt on Monday where I'll probably be told to put them back on sad

I've had the clips removed (didn't hurt at all) and now have paper stitches which I can remove myself when the dressing 'falls off'.  The wound looked good, minimal and very neat.

Just wanted to update you lovely people, I'm so glad I found this site, it has been a godsend.

Lynne

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Lynne, this sounds to good to be true! Good for you. You walked two miles after one week, and you still had stitches in. You are a poster patient for sure. Keep up the good work. 
    • Posted

Thanks Anne, let's hope it all continues in the right direction smile
  • Posted

Hi Lynne!

You are doing quite well! I am happy that you have come so far in just a short while!

Yes, I, too, have found that what I do the day before will USUALLY effect how I feel the following day! Other factors seem to be the weather and if I have been sitting for long periods in a car when I can't move around much or elevate my feet as needed.

When I sit to rest I ALWAYS have my feet elevated. I also often have my legs waaaaay up either against the headboard of the bed while I am laying flat or my legs up the wall or up against the railing as I am on the floor. I have varicose veins and have done elevation like this for most of my life. It helped then, and it really helps now since my TKR.

I have stayed as active as I can. I think you have been listening to your body. I do that, too. Being active helps a lot. Sometimes you pay with achy parts, but I think in the end you feel better that you WENT FOR IT and did things you enjoyed doing.

In a week I have surgery on my RIGHT KNEE. I have been doing LOTS of things like shopping, working in the garden, walking, exercising, attending PT, and stretching throughout the night and day. I know I won't be able to do these things well for a number of weeks after surgery, so I am getting them in NOW!

You are at two weeks where I am at 14 weeks! Everyone is different, so keep listening to your body and keep enjoying your great SUCCESS!

• Posted

Hey Cheryl, good luck with your right knee.  I think my 2 years of yoga 3 times a week has paid off for me, hopefully all your activities will too!

Lynne

• Posted

Thanks, Lynne!

Yes, MOVEMENT helps a lot.

Wishing you continued success. You are doing GREAT!

• Posted

Hi Lynne. You are doing great! I'm 4 weeks post left TKR and have done very well also but there have been a few things I've noticed  As you stated what you do one day affects how you feel the next. The first two weeks I noticed that if I had my leg down for a period of time such as with company over I really needed pain meds the next day. I find now that I can go to the store for a couple of hours but if I start doing chores around my home my knee needs ice. I'm not at a point of walking 2 miles but I can manage a mile with my cane for stability. Rest, exercises, ice, repeat is my mantra and it seems to have gotten me back on my feet. Ready to do the right one next month. 

Keep up the good work, and yes, everything in moderation. 

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I am 5 weeks post PKR on my right knee ( had my left one done this time last year).

I walked about a 1.5 mile last thursday but suffered the next day as swelling was back again and i was dong a fair bit of sitting as back at work in the office,

Hence more ice and more rest.It is a balance but once the swelling settles right down you are well on your way. I use a stationery bike twice a day for 20 mins increasing the resistance each 5 mins and lowering the saddle to get more bend and  cross trainer as there is no impact.

I was back to normal road cycling after 9 weeks last time starting off at 20km and building it back up again.

I am 53yrs old for the record roll on the summer next year!

Regards

Rob

• Posted

I managed to sit on the bike (which by the way my hubbie set up on the turbo trainer while I was still in hospital smile yesterday and complete a full revolution, whoo hoo.  However, I've decided to wait till I see the physio on Monday before I start doing any extra exercises.  

Hubbie and I are planning to go cycle touring next year, early summer, so the first 3 months will probably be in Europe somewhere where we can do some easy riding, short distances to build up our cycling legs and extend our distances gradually.  Then, hopefully in November we are off to India, Bangladesh, Nepal (rather large mountains there called the Himalayas) for an 18 months stint in the wilderness.  Here's hoping the knee holds uplol

• Posted

That sounds absolutely brilliant, the knee should be fine, i managed to get two 160km audax rides in last year on my 1st PKR hopefully this one will be as good - happy cycling

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.