Twtiching on my left cheek...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello I'm Jack's twitching buccinator muscle.

Started noticing upper/mid cheeck twitches about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm not sure if they were randomy happening or if I was triggering them but this week I realized that It's certain facial movements that trigger my spasms in my left cheek. If I frown, yawn, grin or when I'm lifting weights I scrunch my face, I get these twitches that last about 1-3 minutes then they stop until I trigger them again. So far no twithcing in my eye or mouth.  I'm able to sleep without having any spasms.

The reason I'm in this forum is because I looked up the reason for left cheek spasms and long they would last for and the only thing that kept popping up on google was HFS.

I really do not understand what the eraly symptoms of HFS are and how rapid the onset it. I'm keeping track of this to see how long I have it and if the spasms move elsewhere.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Also, I noticed I cannot edit my own posts to correct spelling errors?
  • Posted

Hi Jacks I get the spasms and the twitch they are horrid and painful you can get botox for them but I havn't been offered any

• Posted

It's worth getting an opinion from your doctor Jack.  HFS normally starts with lower eyelid twitching but it can happen in other ways.  There are other conditions which cause facial movements and so an MRI scan would probably be the way to go once you've established some sort of pattern to things.  If you get an appointment with a neurologist then it's worth taking a video of your spasms at their worst - mine always went away when I saw a white coat!  

Hope that your twitches will go away as fast as they came, but, if it does turn out to be HFS there is a lot support in this group as well as in the Facebook Hemifacial International Support Group.

• Posted

Yea the medical I get out here in the deserts of SoCal is not the greatest I'm just going to have to monitor the twitching and keep notes, if I go in too early they will tell me I'm fine and give me pills. Not sure if stress is causing this, which I am currently very stressed over work.

• Posted

If this should be HFS then skip the pills Jack.  They are generally thought to be of no value and usually cause side effects which can be worse than the spasms.  I think your stress theory is a good one.  I think a lot of people have minor twitches due to stress from time to time, and those of us who have or have had HFS tend to report that it started after or during a period of great stress.  Is SoCal (Southern California?) or am I misinterpreting?
    • Posted

Yes Southern California. I'm in LA County. The onlyway something would ever get done out here is if I actually have HFS and I have severe side effects. Other than that, getting an MRI cause I'm experiencing twitching in my "cheek" is not going to fly with the High Desert healthcare. I have to be exhibiting severe symptoms.

• Posted

Sorry to hear this Jack; sounds like you don't have the same kind of health care that we take for granted in the UK (where we have a 'free' healthcare service).  Just in case you ever want to see someone experienced in HFS in California, here is a list of the surgeons that members of another HFS group have used - I have no idea of the geography but imagine that you are somewhere near Los Angeles?:  Dr. Brian Andrews

Sutter Health

San Francisco

Dr. James E Boggan

UC Davis

Davis

Dr. Edward Chang

UCSF

San Francisco

Dr. Indro Chakrabarti

Kaiser

Sacramento

Dr. Allen Efron

Kaiser

Redwood City

Dr. Steven L Giannotta

USC

Los Angeles

Dr. Paul Jackson

Stanford University

Stanford

Dr. Mark Linskey

UC Irvine

Orange

Dr. Bill Mastrodimos

Kaiser Hospital

San Diego

Dr. Neil Martin

UCLA

Los Angeles

Dr, Stephen Nutik

Kaiser Hospital

Redwood City

Dr. Lawrence Shuer

Stanford University

Stanford

Dr. Hrar Shahinian

Skull Base Institute

Los Angeles

• Posted

Yea I have family in Scotland and you all over seas have a very nice national healthcare system, (for now anyways). It's rough out here if you do not have a job that gives you healthcare. I one time tore my rotator cuff and it took them 2 years to schedual a post op date lol. By that time I just deal with it.

• Posted

Mine started with an eye twitch for no reason. I think it took about 5-6 months until spasms took over the entire right side of face. Are they only on one side? HFS typically is only on one side of face. I hope you do not have it. Good Luck! Carla
  • Posted

Hi..I have just recently developed the exact same symptoms and the trigger are also the same. Were you able to figure out the cause?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.