type 2 diabetis sufferers seem to be the majority of people that have Peripheral neuropathy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since I have suffered  with neurophy , I have read every thing  I could about it as I am sure everybody on this forum has,I noticed that the majority of people suffering with this awful problem seem to be tpye two diabetics and not so many type ones I have a few friends that are type one ,some of them have been type one diabetics for forty years plus,none of them apart for one has periphial neuritis,the  one that has got it was type two to begin with about four years ago and then progressed to becoming type one last year,I nthen pondered this information and  looked for a common factor, the only common factor is all tpe two sufferers take metaformin, I then googled the words metaformin and periphial neuritis and found that metaformin is known to cause a depletion of thiamine (vitamin B1) and also vitamin B12 ,the lack of which are both known to cause periphial neuritis ,I then decided to treat my diabetes by going on a low carb diet ,i have tested my blood count in the morning and in the evening to make sure I am keeping within the limits of readings of 4.5 and 7.5  ; and I have been taking  Benfotiamine  (the recomended form of B1 which stays longer in your system than the normal vitamin B1 ) I  am exercising daily as well and I have noticed a gradual improvement in my symptons , I am managing to get more sleep than I was getting and I am feeling more in control of my health, I only hope that the manufacturers of Metaformin mange to make a better alternative that does not have such awful side effects

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi bill

Your posting is an eye opener for me.

My doctor took me off Metformin just this week and told me to take a b complex vitamin. Also gave me a b12 shot. I have very disabling neuropathy in my legs and thighs I will let you all know how this works out for me. I also should say i have low blood sugar and low Aic

• Posted

Hi Sandy, I think all doctors and in turn they should notify their patients  when something like this is discovered,, I had an experience with some tablets about thirty years ago that nearly killed me they were called zomax ,they were sued in America by multi patients and next of kin where they had actually  killed  people,my doctor never notified me ,I found out myself ,it was on the news on television that Zomax was withdrawn from the market because of drastic side effects,

If it turns out that Metaformin is responsible for  diabetics getting neuritis they deserve to pay compensation to all those affected, the best way to get an overview is to see how many patients had neuritis before Metaformin came on the market,

• Posted

I am very curious. Why were you on metformin if you have low blood sugar and low A1c? I am on  metformin plus gliclozide and insulin and am very thankful for all three. Before I went on that combination my blood sugars were often in the 30+ region and HbA 1c in the 80 region so I am very thankful for these drugs
    • Posted

Hi gill

let me explain.  I am definitely diabetic.  But I watch my diet religiously 

and lost 25 lbs.  my pressure went down and so did my aic.   I was taking  1/2 Metformin and my blood sugar was very low.   Like in the 70's.. AND I'm 

suffering from leg pains,thigh pains, weakness,imbalance .  So my doctor took me off Metformin AND amlodipine.   Amlodipine is a problem for me so I was only taking a half.   Now my leg pains have subsided about 50% and I no longer walk with the unsteady gait.   Still not sure about everything but will keep you posted 

sandy

• Posted

Hi bill

yes you are right. I'm discussed .  I have been suffering for months.  Can hardly walk or do my normal activities.   It wasn't the Endo who took me off Metformin. It was a good internist

also this internist  doctor told me to take Alpha lipoic acid for neuropathy

• Posted

hi bill I am feeling somewhat better. I still need two Aleve in their ing. But by afternoon I'm ok. I'll keep you pisted
  • Posted

in the morning my legs are weak and they hurt. But I am inproving.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.