Typical wait for removal of gallbladder?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi people - I had the joy of discovering my gallbladder is half full of small stones via ultrasound yesterday and was wondering if any one else has had the same and the surgery? Would like to get an idea on waiting time, time in hospital and recovery time if possible. Many thanks, lisa

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, I'd be prepared for quite a wait if I was you. I just had mine out last week after waiting 7 months. Others have had to wait longer, some not so long. It depends where you are. It's classed as "routine" surgery. In England the wait is meant to be up to 18 weeks from GP referal. In Scotland I believe it is 12 weeks, Wales is much longer than that.

Hospitals have been under a lot of pressure recently so seem to be struggling to stick to the referal to treatment times. Going on the list now, you may be lucky to get it done before the winter rush starts. But hospitals have been struggling to clear the backlog from winter this year.

If you get the opportunity to choose and book, perhaps look at smaller hospitals with no accident and emergency department. I say this because my local general hospital closed its day case ward for almost two MONTHS to accommodate emergency admissions. Hardly any elective surgery was carried out at that time meaning the lists just got longer.

They could not give me a date for surgery by the time I was breaching the 18 weeks so I ended up having to change hospitals, which, if I had known sooner, I would have done that months ago. I was listed as an inpatient though, which meant I did not get to choose and book. Initially I was told that the wait was two months. The hospital lied.

• Posted

As for recovery, if it's keyhole it's not too bad. I am day 8 and starting to feel much better and back to my normal self. I still can't eat big meals and my digestion hasn't quite settled yet but I'm improving every day. Sorry to write two messages lol.
    • Posted

Jees, could have a bloody long wait then 😩. Fingers crossed the blasted stones don't jiggle too much then, thanks lisa x
  • Posted

Hi Lisa how are you? Could I ask what symptoms you had if you don't mind ? I had baby 6 months ago then 3 months ago I started with indigestion heartburn then right abdomen discomfort then lower right rib cage discomfort felt sore to lie on sometimes heartburn on right side if this sounds normal! Also pain on right breastbone ! Was given omeprazole this eased heartburn but nothing else given lansoprazole 30 mg daily I still have symtoms also had all bloods done they were normal liver etc also test for h pylori negative got ultra sound tomorrow I'm so so worried as pain is were liver is? X
    • Posted

I have had random pain (can't specify and foods that trigger it at all) for the last 7 years on and off but thankfully not too frequently until recently therefore I went to the doctors as I had ignored it previously! Not sure how I ignored it but guess as it wasn't very often I put up with it 😫. I am no wuss and when I say it is the worst pain I have ever felt, and I have had 4 caesarians, you may get an idea of the pain. I know when it is happening as it starts with a funny back/windy pain and then within 5 minutes I am literally on the bathroom floor in agony, sweating profusely and praying that I'm not dying - fortunately mine tends to dissapear within around 30 minutes otherwise I would absolutely be down a and e!! Hope this helps 😊 X
    • Posted

Major pain is definitely concentrated just under my rib cage on the right therefore gallstones is the first thing they looked for and found loads!! L x
    • Posted

Sure. For me it started with pain and bloating. The pain was right sided under my ribs. At first I put it down to tight waist bands and poor fitting bras. I thought it was trapped wind and or heartburn. This was before the attacks started properly. I felt full quite quickly and unable to go out for a meal and have a desert for example. The only way to describe it is like a stitch. The stitch like pain and discomfort didn't really go and was there most of the time but I just got used to it. It feels like having a small fist under the ribs. Not always painful but a constant awareness of something just there that shouldn't be.

When the actual attacks started the pain was intense. Going from a stitch and discomfort to a real gripping pain. A bit like a stitch in a vice grip. Swollen stomach, very tender to touch and a feeling like something was stuck. You kind of feel that you should break wind, pee, deficate, vomit and pee all at the same time with a shed load of burning acid and if you could relieve all of those things, maybe it could take the pressure off.

The attacks lasted from 20 mins to a couple of hours at first and always in the evening or overnight. They would just suddenly stop as well and i could go from rolling round on the floor in agony to carrying on like nothing happened within a few minutes. I didn't go to the doctor because I didn't think he'd be able to do much unless he saw me mid attack. Sometimes I could go a few months between attacks. In fact I went 5 months from my last attack to getting cholecystitis. The week before I got cholecystitis, I was feeling pretty good and was able to eat more than I had done, so I did, and paid the price lol.

When I was in hospital with cholecystitis, on the third day, whatever was stuck suddenly shifted. I woke in the morning and felt like I was falling backwards and I was suddenly very sick and it seemed like gallons of dark green, very thick sludge. The burning was awful and they gave me lanzopizol and I could then start to feel the relief lifting. Suddenly I was able to use the toilet properly. It's weird and hard to explain but it felt as if the top half of my stomach wasn't working with the bottom half and everything felt stuck across the middle and unable to move down. I was so bloated and uncomfortable. First I had an ultrasound and they discovered the stones and thickened gallbladder. By day 3, the day I felt something give, my blood results took a turn for the worst which confused me as I was starting to feel better. Hospital panicked a bit, changed my iv antibiotics and I needed oxygen for some strange reason. I went for an emergency MRI scan then and they found my bile duct was Swollen but no stone there. I'd had a stone there but luckily I passed it. I ended up staying in hospital for 9 days before I begged to go home. My liver function tests were still deranged and stayed that way. It still took 7 months for them to take the bloody thing out, even after all of that!

Actually as you have had a baby recently, remember baby feet under the ribs? That's how having a gallbladder full of stones felt every day without an attack. Also loads of stomach noises, gargling like mad. Sorry it's long. It's quite hard to explain. Lol

• Posted

Thanks Lisa will see what happens mines only just started 3 months ago so could be in very early stages! Do you remember is this how you started off? With the symptoms I'm describing x
    • Posted

Can't remember really, a long time ago since it all started - just thought I was dying 😜 X
    • Posted

Thanks Lisa will let you know how I get on your a star I hope your much better now x
    • Posted

I'm sure there is some Lisa confusion going on haha 👍, good luck getting sorted x
    • Posted

Mines more heartburn belching after eating right rib cage lower part is tender sometimes also pain right breast bone x
    • Posted

I literally have no other symptoms other than the near death experiences when they happen - no gas, heartburn, tenderness or nothing. Luckily x
    • Posted

That's good it's all sorted but real sorry to hear you had such a bad time Hun x
    • Posted

Definitely some confusion. Sorry if I wasn't meant to reply. All the best anyway :-)
    • Posted

Doing much better thanks. I realised that I had to get up and about more yesterday because my digestion was really sluggish and I was feeling terribly bloated and nauseated. I slept better than I have in weeks last night and I *think* things are begining to settle down now at last. It's really such a relief that it's gone. I won't miss it lol x
    • Posted

👍, looking forward to getting my bugger out too - the fear of the pain is enough to scare me off eating crap for a while (just in case!) x
    • Posted

Indeed! I lost almost 4 stone in 7 months avoiding as much fat as possible. I sympathise I really do x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.