UGHHHHH....is this normal????

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hypo 6 months ago and have been on a low dose med since. At the same time, I started with perimenopause. My question is I am now having constipation issues and is anyone else going through this? I have mild acid reflux, which began with all of the other fun thingssmile Usually have never had any problem having a BM, but now I am having trouble especially a couple weeks after my cycle. ANY INFO would be greatly appreciatedcry Thanks!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kim, thyroid disease can affect sex hormones and fertility. Perimenopause can occur over a number of years before periods stop completely. Could you get your oestrogen and progesterone tested to check their levels? Constipation is a symptoms of under active thyroid, but not everyone has that. Was this a symptom before you started taking thyroid medication (I am assuming you are on levothyroxine or equivalent). You gastric type symptoms could be a reaction to the fillers used in thyroid medication. You could ask your doctor for a different brand to see if that helps. 
  • Posted

Eat porridge with linseed sprinkled on it for breakfast or sprinkle linseed in yoghurt to solve constipation. Brilliant stuff. Going gluten free removed my nightly acid reflux and stuffed up nose/head.
  • Posted

Hey there. So if its a low dose why not try something more natural like a supplement. I found a good one on amazon by PROCEUTICALS called thyroid support. Its been working for me.😀 all natural ingredients and if u want u can look up the ingredients prior to purchasing. Then show ur doc as well. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

It's worth checking your iron and ferritin colevels to see if you are snaemuc. Ferritin needs to be atoundd 90+ to be able to utilise thyroxine.
  • Posted

Hello KLM:

My name is Shelly and I am a Nurse and I live in the USA.  I suffer with hypothyroidism and have had it since 1987.

You can have constipation from low thyroid.  It can also come from a poor diet and from changes in the body or bowel.

Before I was diagnosed back in the 1980's, I would get constipation. Once on thyroid meds, and when my level was okay that went away.  So as long as your thyroid med is being taken and your levels are okay,  I doubt it is related to thyroid unless you are not taking your medication.

How is your diet?  Drinking lot's of water for hydration is good. My Grandmother had Hot Water with lemon everyday and that kept her good to go.   Eat salad if you can. Apples add good fiber.  You can even buy metamucil or a product like that and that can help with the bowels.

Perimenopause can cause problems.  I too am in that stage.  It can cause some women severe problems. Along with hot flashes and sweating a lot, some women get weight gain.  It could make your bowel habits change. I have heard of it happening.

Having acid reflux is also called GERD.  A common problem, and many meds for it are now available to treat it. Prilosec & Zantac are a few of them.  So you may want to ask your MD or see if you can get some in a pharmacy/chemist shop. Try it, since acid can cause problems in your throat and make ulcers there.

A last thing to try if all else fails is a laxative.  If needed you can ask your GP or GYN doctor about this problem. Stay well, Shelly

• Posted

Thanks so much Shelly! I live in the USA as well. I am also going through perimenopause and think all of my problems are related to this as I hear peri can bring on hypo due to all hormone fluctuations.  I am having/had palpitations, borderline panic attacks, acid reflux, constipation, bloating, messed up cycles, etc... I am taking fiber, stool softener (did I mention hemorrhoids too) and drinking LOTS of water. I am just taking Levothyroxine 25mg for hypo and spironolactone 25mg for cystic acne, I too and drinking water with lemon and it has seemed to help. If you can think of any other things to help it would be greatly appreciated cheesygrin
    • Posted

Hello Klm:

Here are a couple more food items to try, prunes/dates help. It sounds like you may be going back and forth.  The bloating could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 

Yes, thyroid disease can come out later in life and perimenopause can trigger it.  You seem to have some of the Hypothyroid symptoms. When will you have your next blood test?  Maybe the doctor can up your Levothyroxine to 50 mcg, (micrograms).  25mcg is the lowest and a starting dose.

Try and drink Hot drinks as Hot relaxes the bowel more. You can do HOT water with Lemon several times in a day.  Do not strain - it can cause a bad reaction with the Vagus nerve and it goes to your heart.  Keep taking the stool softner and  you can take 2 of them a day if needed. 

Also you can buy glycerin suppositories in the drug store and it is only glycerin which will lubricate your sigmoid colon and it is NOT  habit forming. It may prevent you from aggravating an internal or external hemorrhoid. 

I hope this helps.  Be well, Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.