Ulcerative Colitis and Constipation

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey everyone I was diagnosed with UC in January of this year.. I've had ups and downs always go to the toilet like 9/10 times a day but with medication I'm thankful I only go around 5 times id say now. I always bleed and get really tierd.. My weight goes up and down due to the meds I'm on

So on Thursday night I was feeling pains in my stomach Friday morning I went to the toilet 3 times just usual blood etc. my stomach bacame very bloated and sore. I was getting shooting pains all day and felt so warm. I came home and went for a bath that eased the pain. Was awake all Friday and spent Saturday in bed.. My bones Nd everything were sore! Even when I brushed my teeth my gums were so sore!!!!! Cut a long story short I hadn't been to the toilet (it's now 2pm Sunday) I felt awful.. I got an out of hours appointment and the doctor gave me lactulose to hopefully shift my bowels!she had a look and feel and said there was nothing sinister going on and my tummy was nice and soft.

I've took the lactulose and yea it worked!!! But I'm still getting pains like cramping.. They have significantly went since I've been to the toilet and only come now and again

Can any of you relate to this? Should I keep taking lactulose? Also is this a flare as I'm constipated?? I didn't know people with UC could get constipated.. With the lactulose She said it could take a minimum of 6 hours to a day maybe to work! But with me it worked straight away

Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Millie - my UC flare ups were always associated with constipation. I believe that when the colon becomes inflamed it doesn't allow the stool to pass easily. I'm not a Doctor, of course, but my consultant prescribed Lactulose and Senna which helped. Good luck with your ongoing treatment.
    • Posted

Thanks darasdad

I've been so so worried I just appreciate any comments or anyone who's going through this..x

• Posted

I have heard of it, but never experienced it. I think some of the cramping is caused by the blood and I am sure it being stuck in there is making it worse.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply rob! I feel a lot better now I feel I've been cleared out still in a bit of pain but not as bad as what it was x
  • Posted

I have had faceal impact on the right side. Did bowel cleanse at weekend as Dr thinks it could be causing the bleeding (bleed bright red blood Everyday) still bleeding but might be expecting to much to soon. So have started taking movicol trying toget correct dose. Have been in hospital four weeks ago for Iv steriods but no change. But getting fed up I know I'm lucky that I can still go out and about and work etc Diagnosed July this year
    • Posted

Thanks Helena for your reply.. I am still getting twinges n sore pains but not as bad as what it was!! I've stopped taking all medication for just now and will start again on wed! I really need a break from this its really getting me down!!

I'm sorry your going through similar it's just horrible !!!! I hope you get well soon! Millie xx

• Posted

Hi Millie, I get almost daily pain even when my UC is well controlled. Consultant  pretty sure I also have IBS ( very common with UC apparently)I have tried loads of meds to help pains and best seem to be co codamol and dicycloverine. Doc tried me on Lactolose after saying that with UC we often get constipated as a way of protecting the "sore" part of colon. I took it for a week or more but still got pain! Hope this helps you
  • Posted

Hi Millie, I have UC and ibs (didn't think it was possible) and often get constipated. This gives me really bad cramping pains & feel like it's cutting me in half. I think it's wind pains and my gp has given me Colpermin which seems to help but it does take a few hours to work.

I've been having Salofalk liquid enemas that seem to help with the constipation but having a flare up at the moment and having to run to the loo. My Consuktant recommens taling Movicol but I'm a bit anxious it'll make me go to the loo more but he says not. Drinking lots of water supposed to help.

I know what you mean about it getting you down, feel like only people on here with UC understand. Good luck with your treatment.

Kiti

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.