Ulcerative colitis back pain??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Posted about 2 hours ago

Hello, I was diagnosed with UC in April and I take Pentasa 1g twice a day. I think I have been in a flare up as I had some joint aches and bad back pain. I was give suppositories but they didn't really do anything. I was then told to up my Pentasa which got rid of the back pain. It's just started to come back even though I'm still taking 1g 4 times a day! It's as if someone is prodding me in the same spot on my spine, in the middle. I don't know if it's my spine or muscular? Or even if it is associated? Any advice please, thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Have you seen your doctor? Do you have any other symptoms? This could be back related not UC.
    • Posted

Hi sorry just seen this message. Seeing the consultant on the 23rd and will tell him and ask for a back scan just to make sure all is ok.
  • Posted

Hello

i used to get a fair bit of pain right at the bottom of my back and spine when i was diagnosed years ago. It was the imflamation that caused it. 

Was also on the pentasa supps 2g daily for 15yrs until now. Now colifoam for the rear and it works a treat for now. 

Remember when your straining to do the toilet your back muscles take a pounding too.

Get it checked out though as it might just be your back.

• Posted

Hi, I did find I had a bit of lower back pain, put it down to that the colon does ascend and decends on both sides towards your back when it is active you may tend to tense up the lower back muscles from the pain, and some muscle strain thingo there,I did early in the UC journey.

That may or may not have contributed to  collased dics between L3,L4-L4,L5.

which was operated on last December, who knows? Dont care UC is much much worse than herniated discs.

Just the same best to have your GP investigate because UC can mask a lot lower back pain, dont leave it to chance.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.