Unable to breathe well without frequent yawns and lots of gastritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone who has been through these problems have a good cure other than antacids.

I have a hard time breathing if I don't take my omiprazole and now I also have been on antibiotics for stomach pain.

Very scared and anxious all the time and would appreciate if anyone has any answers

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Omeprazole is not a good drug to be on for any length of time. I was on it for years until recently when my doctor took me off of it. I've managed quite well without it. I have a really bad problem with bloating, my stomach is rock-hard amd very uncomfortable all the time. I've had two CT scans and have been admitted to the Surgical Assessment Unit at my local hospital. Despite loads of tests, they had no idea what is going on. Next step is a colonoscopy which is taking forever to happen.

i can't eat big meals (my big is most people's small!) so I eat lots of small portions. Last night we had an Indian takeaway and I blew up like a basketball!! I jusy wish they would get me sorted out, this has been going on for months now. I have high blood pressure now and breathing can be difficult. If you are on antibiotics then it sounds like you are being treated for H Pylori which is a gastric bug, for want of a better word and it makes you very ill before it cures you.

• Posted

Hi Madasahatter

I am so happy that you are off omioprazole but how many years did you take it and when you stopped didn't you get a relapse??

I have been trying to find the root cause of all this but my doctor just goes with what I say. When I first told him about my problems he said its acidity and put me on nexium. I had instant relief for a few months so much so that I thought I was cured so I stopped. Then suddenly my symptoms came back with vengeance. I went to the ER so many times and they couldn't find out why I couldn't breathe. Then by trial and error I found that whenever my acids where low my breathing was ok. So when I told that to my doctor he just tells me to continue taking them. Last visit I asked him what if after some time they don't work on me..? He said just increase the dosage because you don't want any complications to the lungs when the acid scars them. Whenever I try to wean of them my breathing just gets a whole lot worse. But I have been researching and found great reviews of dgl licorice and acid ease on Amazon. People have written that it really helped them and that many have even rid themselves off of all antacids. I have already started licorice dgl and it's helping me but not completely so still waiting in acid ease. Let's see what happens

• Posted

Hi, l,m really just confirming what youve read, for myself.  l started problems 2yr ago, weeks daily nausea, stomach swollen and indagestion burping, loss of appetite, eat little day time, small plain meal evenings. l,d never had big meals prior, but now eat about a quarter size. lost 2 stone with it. It does affect my breathing, which was a bit of a problem before due to chest probs, but with the nausea indagestion its worse, with exertion and tum probs l end up gasping and having to sit down. Scope did show a bit of gastritus, but not explaining severe symptoms, put on omprazole, took for a few weeks, didnt seem to settle it, but it had settled spontanieously for weeks at a time then flared up with no known reason to me, or gastrologist. l stopped lactose, tried spring water, only small plain meals, pots veg chicken fish, rice, pasta, can eat bread biscuits, some fruit, use ginger, probiotics, milk thistle. It settled 2-3 wk ago, brilliant relief, like getting a bit of a life again,  though still feel mild undercurrant of symptoms so stick on diet. Last night had Rissotto, plain, had before, but felt indagestion, belching, usual, this morning wake with nausea, indagestion, flushed, sore tum, studying cause, was it toms in risotto, a bit of grated cheese, though had both before no probs. Now just desperately hoping it settles down and doesnt last weeks as prior flare ups, taken omprazole, gaviscon, see what tomorrow brings. l also get hbp, now presently waiting to see different gastrologist. Like Madhatter, l,m hoping to find cause as it really does get you down, and can cause anxiety, not always the other way round as some suggest, but it can aggrevate.  l also think if your on anti b for your stomach your gp thinks youve a bug, pylori common one, info about it on gastritus thread, l was clear of it on scope. but l,m sure its very nasty affects till its got rid of. goodluck
    • Posted

Hi Lynne

You are right it's a vicious cycle. And there somehow seems to be no cure. But I researched about dgl licorice and acid ease on Amazon and you can read the reviews that people have written. Some of them are completely cured I would also like to try milk thistle and see. And also that 20 mg if omioprazole does nothing to me. Only when I take 40 mg my symptoms are under control

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.