Unable to laugh

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Chiari type 1 and have multiple symptoms. One thing I am experiencing that I haven't read about in any of the symptoms is the inability to laugh spontaneously. Does anyone else have this problem?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, if I laugh spontaneously I get head pressure, and left with an aching head, same as bending down or reading for a length of time. I have had decompression surgery and it has eased some of the pressure. Chiari does effect lots of people in different ways. X
  • Posted

Hi 

im having a MRI in a month or so with contrast to see if I have Chiari .They are also looking at the membrane coving my brain and nerves to my ears.I also have  problems when laughing along with many other complaints.

I have been diagnosed with Hemiplegic migraines and fibromyalgia,also anxiety .This has been for the last 4 yrs or so but in the last 12 months my symptoms have increased until they r now daily.

Im really not sure if it's my migraines that have become a daily problem and that along with my fibro which is chronic and  I'm more than willing to accept anxiety can be contributing to my symptoms or.....there's something else going on ie ....Chiari .....so I'm glad t b having the MRI....

My symptoms are the usual to hemepligic migraine but what has gotten worse is the pressure in my head when I bend down,get up,pain then in my head,dizziness and nausea on a daily basis,blurry eyes ....not ora .....and when I laugh ,cough ,talk a lot or fast ....I go dizzy,feel pressure in my head and if I really laugh can feel like I'm going to pass out .....

what does anyone else think ......

xxxxx thanks Gemma xxxx 

• Posted

Yes all of those relate to chiari. Mine got diagnosed by accident, I suffered for over seven years. I was seeing a spine consultant and he sent me for a scan, and noticed this chiari malformation ! If not for him I don't think I would have a diagnosis.

• Posted

Well I guess the MRI will tell.....I've had 2/3 scans in the last 5 yrs because my migraines act like stroke symptoms and they haven't spotted it ...but my migraine nurse says its best to have the dye as everything shows up better and it may be to do with low pressure in the brain due to the membrane. ? 

• Posted

I had mri scans before and no one picked up on it. I have read before that sometimes it's picked up when they are looking for something else. I don't know but maybe it's not noticed till it's a bit more progressed, as they say some people have it and because they don't have severe symptoms don't know about it.

• Posted

Oh right I didn't realise it can be missed on MRIs ....maybe I am right that something more is going on xxxx

• Posted

If they know what there looking for then that's OK, but lots of consultants don't know much about chiari. I was at pain management clinic for months for the pressure head aches, before I got a diagnosis, I had nerve block injections and a number of medications. In the end he apologised as couldn't do anything more for me and discharged me.

My sister has mild MS and her symptoms were simular but she had leg issues and she thought she had chiari too, turned out to be Ms. I suppose there are a number of conditions that effect the brain are simular. I hope you get a diagnosis soon Gemma and then you know what your facing.

• Posted

Thank you ....life has been getting harder and harder over the last 4 yrs and now is pretty life changing ....I can't work away from home ,I'm in a lot of pain,the symptoms are now everyday on and off all day.Some days I can hardly do anything around the home ,or get out of bed even....better days I can go out for short periods of time but I can't go out alone anymore ....I'm 39 and feel like 89 ....😞

• Posted

I really feel for you Gemma, I'm older 61yrs, I would say things started to bother me in late 40s, then gradually got worse as I have a few other issues, bulging disc in back, osteoporosis, ect... The list goes on...

Like yourself good and bad days, I packed in working in an office after my decompression surgery as I wasn't very good at all. But I'm now working as a domestic in end of life ward just 3hrs in the evening, sometimes it's a struggle, but I'm stubborn! Lol take it one day at a time and hopefully you will get answers so you can move forward . Xxx

• Posted

Thanks Helen ....

i worked with the elderly for 7 yrs but it got to the point when they needed to looked after me ....even though things are so awful I refuse to do nothing or give up so have started my own little business up making wedding bouquets,cake toppers and centrepieces .....it's keeping me going ....xxxx 

• Posted

That's the spirit Gemma, as you say it's awful and some are worse off. Good luck with the business xx

• Posted

Hi

There are so many symptoms for it bcoz it affects the jaws it happens with my daughter pain in the jaws when she tries to chew and difficult in swallowing with pain at the back of her head and neck she even can't bend try not to carry heavy things even your hand bag should be light weighted

What your doctor said

Hope you will get better soon

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.