Uncertain diagnosis- Do I have scabies?

Posted , 4 users are following.

First time I've ever posted on a forum like this, but I've got to a point where I am desperate to get to the bottom of my symptoms. It all started last Wednesday when I went to the gym; I went in completely fine, and came out with an angry, itchy red rash all over my chest where my sports bra had sat. I have been know to suffer from heat/sweat rash in the past (though usually only in extreme temperatures abroad, e.g Egypt/Turkey) so just put it down to that and thought it would ease off after a few days. It was still bad by the weekend, and I went to a pharmacist for some advice on Monday as it had spread to my arms and stomach/back. She didn't know what it could be and said that although it did look like heat rash, it was very unlikely that it would have lasted that long. She also said it looks like an allergic reaction and that I should go to the doctor. Next day I booked an appointment at my GP and saw a nurse who was also stumped at what it could be. She mentioned scabies, but was unsure because I had no burrow marks whatsoever, my hands and feet- and other common scabies areas- were completely fine, and my boyfriend (who I live with) had absolutely no symptoms (and still doesn't now on day 11). She asked a doctor for her opinion, and the doctor equally was unsure if it was scabies or not. Nonetheless, they prescribed me the permethrin cream treatment and told me to use it anyway, just in case it was scabies. My cousin is a nurse, and I saw her after my appointment and she was adamant it wasn't scabies. My mother had scabies years ago and she also said my rash looked nothing like hers. I decided to go back for a second opinion, and these doctors both agreed that they didn't think I had scabies and suggested it could be a reaction to a viral bug I had caught (but they thought it was odd as I haven't been ill at all) they told me to take anti-histamine and use eurax cream for the itching and to come back in a week if I still had it. Thursday evening I was beside myself with itching, and was paranoid about seeing burrows (in hindsight I don't think they were!!) and decided to do the treatment anyway, just so I could eliminate it as the cause for my rash. Pretty sure we did it thoroughly, me and the bf had it on for about 8 and a half hours, cleaned all the bedding/towels/clothes we'd come into contact with at 60 degrees. It is now day 11 (Sunday) and if anything the rash is at it's worst. The rash is all over my arms, legs, back, bum, stomach, chest and neck. It's now particularly bad on my bikini line, but this has only been itchy in the last couple of days. My scalp has no visible rash (although hard to tell as I have long dark hair) but is incredibly itchy, my face also seems to have some kind of rash on it- though not as extreme as the rash on my body. I am driving myself crazy trying to get to the bottom of what this could be. Is it common for scabies to flare up completely and suddenly, or is it a more gradual process that takes a couple of weeks to properly worsen? Also, is it likely I could have scabies with no burrow marks at all? I keep imagining them over my body, and even then I've only identified 3 or 4 possible burrow marks on my chest (my bf completely disagrees however and thinks I'm seeing things). I know symptoms of scabies may persist for up to a month, but surely I would be feeling some relief by now if it were scabies for the fact I did the treatment 2 days ago now? The rash has also spread down my arms today and is much angrier than it was prior to the scabies treatment? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm massively stressing and worrying about the rash and am willing to try anything to relieve my symptoms. It's getting me down so much and I have no self-confidence to even go outside the house except for work :'(

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Chloe2375,

I can only tell you my experience. I'm actually going thru it right now. It's been a nightmare. I went to my GP for my monthly visit and just 3 days prior to this appointment I noticed a rash that looked like prickly heat, or some kind of heat related rash. The rash was only on my upper arms and shoulders at that time. No rash at all on my feet or hands and still don't have it there. She diagnosed me with scabies, she prescribed the Permethrin 5%cream and scheduled me to come back in a week, well within 2 days it got worse. The rash moved to spots on my back a few bumps on my lower hair line at my neck and a few bump, blisters on my wrist area, my breast and under them, and 2 to 4 on my stomach. I found one burrow line on my upper chest. It itches so bad at night, I guess in my sleep I scratched open a few of the small blisters. The blisters got worse over the next day or two and I developed what looked like impetigo. I called and scheduled to see my doctor again, by then the blisters festered up an began to ooze pus. ( I know that is gross, and I apologize ) I've been taking pictures everyday of the progression of this horrible bacteria infection. She prescribed another tube of the same cream and also a oral antibiotic. I was given a referral to a dermatologist. My doctor feels that a few have went from impetigo to now Staph. It's been about 4 days since I started the oral antibiotic and the bumps seem to be getting slightly better, they are not oozing now ( there were only 3 that were ) and they look like they are smaller, the others are still red and look kinda like chicken pox , mine started off very small, almost like a white head (small pimple), and almost over night they got bigger. Now those are finally healing also, but it itches like crazy, it's worse at night. I've not gone to dermatologist yet. They couldn't get me in till next week. This infection has made me physically sick, nauseated, hot flashes, loss of appetite, feet have swelled up and headaches. All this was before I started the oral antibiotic. What I have been doing is taking at least 3 showers a day, I read online that tea tree oil ( the pharmaceutical grade ) helps with the itching and drying them up, I bought some and actually has been working for me, ( the smell is very strong ) I apply that, and leave it on for at 15 min then I shower with tea tree bar soap. I've also been washing my hair with a shampoo you get at any pharmacy, I also use tea tree shampoo an conditioner, I've been alternating between the 2, I've been washing my face with 3 different products, all very expensive, but i have had no bumps or the rash on my face at all. After I shower, I apply a hydrocortisone cream, when I shower in the evening, I apply the Permethrin because it's supposed to stay on yr body 8 to 12 hrs then be washed off. It's been since July 26th when I first saw my doctor and it's been ongoing. I also do all the washing if clothes, vacuuming, cleaning, changing sheets, everything that goes along with keeping it clean so I don't get reinvested. I'm constantly online reading about this and it's driving be insane. I'm a hair stylist, and I own my own salon and can't work because I can't chance infecting someone else, I stay in my room, cause I'm afraid my children will get it. I clean my car also everyday. It's been so tiring. Also check out the CDC website the Center for Disease Control. That's who I'm calling if the dermatologist can't figure this out, I'm so sick of it. And from what I've read, a person could have them for weeks with no symptoms and then all the sudden have them. My boyfriend has had no issues but I treated him anyway. I hope this helps and feel free to email me.

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Bobbee

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address and product names as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi Chloe I'm definately not an expert and every now and then I still get paranoid and think they are back (if I ever had them) by the sounds of it you don't have scabies I'm sure it doesn't happen that quick in fact I have read so much on scabies and other mites that the 1st time you get scabies it takes a while before I realise the track marks are the most obvious if u did have scabies where they are moving under the skin at night you get a rash like I said first time it wouldn't be that bad unless you had it for a long time. If you are that worried did the doctor give you anything g to treat scabies if not get some lyclear cream from chemist use it at night before bed make sure when I get up in morning wash all bedding and clothes I had on quite high temperatures. If the rash and itching g carry on u will know it's not scabies if it doesn't then u will be fine let me know how u get on x

• Posted

I currently have scabbies and am recovering from it, most likely no it is not scabbies. I assume that you are sexually active with your partner whom you live with, if this is true then he would be showing signs of scabbies by now for sure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.