Uncomfortable feeling Under Left Lower Ribs and varying bowel movements

Posted , 173 users are following.

To try cut a long story as short as I can I have basically had an uncomfortable feeling under my lower left ribs and some irregular bowel movements for the last 3 months that don't seem to show any signs of disappearing. Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

With regards to the feeling in the ribs at no point has it been massively painful to the point where I have needed to take any pain killers or anything like that. It just feels more uncomfortable than anything else rather than painful as if there is something under my ribs that should be there. The lower left ribs feel bruised to touch but again not that painful.

I play football and go to the gym and have been able to continue both without any trouble or issues.

With regards to my bowels they have just been a bit all over the place since it started really. At first I kind of felt constipated and was having bowel movements but size and quantity wise there wasn't as much coming out as normal or as expected and had a feeling of not fully emptying.

In the last month that has changed slightly in that I have had a couple of what I would call regular sized and quantity movements but they seem to happen every 3 or 4 days and in between the movements are the fairly small quantities mentioned and usually very irregular shapes and sizes although the feeling of not emptying seems to have gone or reduced.

I have been to see my GP 3 or four times since this started. First couple of times they had a feel around and couldn't feel anything untoward and suggested it was just a bit of constipation so suggest some over the counter laxitives and then when that didnt work prescribed some Laxido sachets which again didnt do anything really.

I have now had a blood test and an chest xray that I am awaiting the results of and have an ultrasound booked in but that isn't for another 3 weeks.

In the meantime I just really suffering a bit mentally not knowing what this is and obviously worrying this could be something serious. Just keep searching and searching online and must have diagnosed myself with about 25 different things which I know is silly but can't help it. I am someone that never usually gets ill so this is very out of the ordinary for me.

I am only 32 and lead a pretty active lifestyle, eat well, don't smoke and don't drink too much, weight and BMI is all in the decent range - all things which my GP keeps telling me means that it being something serious is unlikely but at the same time it doesn't show any sign of easing up.

Not had any diarrhea at all in the 3 months although stools have been pretty soft the whole time even when not much is coming out. Not had any blood in my stools that I have been able to notice.

Its just so frustrating as for 3 months whilst I have been able to go to work etc I just feel like I am constantly at about 70%. I feel ok physically but not great and mentally I just feel shot to pieces.

Obviously I need to wait for my results and take from there but just seems such a drawn out affair to try and convince GP that something just doesn't feel right and just wondered if anyone had suffered anything similar to this?

8 likes, 434 replies

434 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I know how you feel. I similar but not same. My discomfort, pain would be too strong a word, is same place only on right side and has been there for about 2 months. I also had some occasionally lower back pain both left and right side, which I now believe was wind as it has gone. Worrying when a pain seems to be spreading and intensifying though. Been to GP and had blood tests done, revisit next week to discuss results. Taking it a step at a time and feel ok really but for not knowing, a none life threatening thing would be a good outcome.
    • Edited

Thanks for replying john99208, you certainly have my sympathy.

I'm still pretty much the same - had my bloods, chest xray and ultrasound done now none of which have shown up anything untoward - got another Docs appointment next week to discuss ultrasound results and where to go from there.

The above is obviously good but at the same time feel no further forward and like you say it is kind of the not knowing that makes you worry more than anything else. A tiny part wishes the tests find something so you at least know what the cause is as silly as that sounds.

Hope your results give some positive news.

• Edited

Well for anyone interested I finally managed to get a Colonoscopy done this week which came back all clear which is obviously great although with symptoms still persisting leaves me no further forward really...
    • Posted

hi there did get any joy? i have EXACTLY as you've described for a few years now been through many tests like yours am FODMAP and im currently exploring a new theory

• Posted

so nobody has ever figured this out?

• Edited

Still not really any further forward with this so going to have to go back to my GP I think but just wanted to ask about something to see if anyone has had anything similar...

GP and the doctor i saw at the hospital who referred me for my colonoscopy both seem to think my issue is IBS related. When I went to see the doctor he did recommend trying a Low FODMAP diet to see if that made any difference which I did for the 3 or 4 weeks prior to having my Colonoscopy.

Must admit it gave pretty mixed results - rather than try to find recipes that were low in FODMAPs I literally went back to basics and had eggs for breakfast, a homemade tuna salad for lunch and an evening meal of just plain grilled chicken or fish with some veg. Any snacks were usually just bananas or some other allowed fruit and literally just drank water or decaf Green tea and I stuck to this for the whole 3 weeks.

Have to say from doing this the uncomortable feeling in my abdomen definitely subsided. Don't know if this was to do with specifically what I was eating being low in FODMAPS or literally because in terms of the quanity of what I was eating it was probably a lot less than normal.

Other than the pain in the side my other symptoms have just been a general feeling of tiredness, brain fogginess and lack of concentration etc.

The first week of doing the Low FODMAP I have to say the above seemed to get worse and I felt pretty cr@ppy all week but then for 3 days at the start of the 2nd week I have to say I felt the best I have probably felt since this all started nearly a year ago. It then seemed to plateu a bit for the 3rd week.

The other issue was after 3 weeks of doing this I was more constipated than I was before trying this diet. Literally went 3 or 4 days at a time without a BM.

After my colonoscopy I tried to start adding things back in to see if I could pinpoint anything that was potentially causing a problem but the main issue I have is that a lot of my symptoms seem to be just ongoing things, its not like I seem to have something and then I have would you would maybe cause an "IBS attack" and you could specifically say something has triggered that.

The only thing I have noticed food wise is that eating Weetabix seems to almost trigger a bowel movement within half an hour or so of eating a bowl. Since trying the Low FODMAP diet I have continued using the dairy free milk to just generally cut down on dairy so it is definitely the Weetabix that triggers the bowel movment rather than the milk etc.

The thing is the bowel movement isn't diarrhea or anything, its a more softer BM which I would say is probably more normal than the ones I am having every few days when I am not eating Weetabix.

Sorry that this is a fairly long winded way of getting to the point but my main question is from people's experience does this seemingly immediate reaction to eating Weetabix seem a good thing or a bad thing??

What I mean by that is as someone who's main symptom has been constipation and infrquent bowel movements is this triggering of a normal looking BM good or does this maybe indicate something in the Weetabix being a cause of my problems??

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Edited

Anything new learned? I have been watching your case, to help my daughter.

Thank You!!!

​Please keep posting : )

• Edited

Nothing new learned really im afraid but have been back to the doctors recently and have asked them to test me again for some kind of Gluten / Wheat intolerance because contrary to what they seem to think I am convinced that my issues lie somewhere to do with something like that. My symptoms seem to fit so many associated with that.

Obviously I am no expert but may be an avenue to explore with your daughter if not done so already.

• Posted

I just found your post and am going through the exact same thing only I have a few more stool issues than you seem to. I'd really like to know what you find out and hope that you've been able to find better news since this post! I've only had this going on 3 months now so I'm still in the testing ruling out stages of it all

• Posted

i just recently had this ... it started last December 2017. I an reading this coz i am trying to find also the solution. 
    • Posted

yeah but ive done just some simple check ups.. like cbc or blood test, xray, and ultrasound and all got negative results so im good and thats what the doctor said to me. she also said that it maybe just a psychological thing.. and she advised me to just have enough sleep, drink a lot of water, eat foods which are rich in fiber and exercise. Also if its a psychological thing, she said that keep busy so i wont think about it much.  Its been 3 weeks i think now from my check up and i feel a lot better now. 
    • Posted

I’ve export emcee a lot of pain under my ribs all round my back I’m so snxious I’ve dropped a lot of weight my bloods were fine I’m waiting for a scan but very scared at this point 
    • Posted

just dont stress so much about it.. hoping you will be fine. let us know too with the results of your scan and some other tests. 
    • Edited

I too have had the weird uncomfortable ache in the lower rib cage. Mine is located on the left side (slightly more toward my back).  I feel it more prominently when I haven’t had a good BM in several days and especially when i take a deep breath laying on my back.  It feels like there’s something there beneath my rib cage but when I poke around it’s only sore/ tender i can’t feel a lump or anything odd. It’s quit uncomfortable sometimes when i’m sitting in certain positions or if I’ve eaten to much. It’s something that comes and goes. I’ve been dealing with it for several years. Sometimes I wonder if it’s colon related or colon and gluten related. I love gluten and have never tried to give it up so I can’t say for sure if it’s a trigger.  Any new findings on your issues? Have you been able to keep the ache at bay with your diet? 
    • Posted

Mine just started a few weeks ago and I’m so stressed about it.. keep thinking ‘what could it be’ and imagining the worst! It’s goid to know I’m not the only person with this problem
    • Posted

Its been a year for me now.. it comes and goes. Ive tried only ultrasound, urine test and blood test and all the results were fine. The doctor asked me also if my stool has blood on it and so far i dont have any blood on it.

It helps if u have a good bowel movement for me.. since this thing started i have tried eating a lot of fiber or fruits and drinking more water than ive used to.. and so far it has good result for me. Defecating everyday (if possible) helps relieve the uncomfortable feeling beneath my left rib cage.. 

• Posted

Thank you so much I think this is the way to go and I'm also trying to practice relaxation techniques but it's been a great help to realise I'm not on my own with this! 

• Posted

Hi, I had this, it felt like a crab was hanging on to my left side.  I do have reflux issues.  No pain on touching the area, but nausea after a BM.  Gastritis came up after endo.  Had it for months, then it came and went for a couple of years.  I  sought of got used to Mr Crab hanging out with me lol.

All docs want to give is PPI.  Don't want them.  I started looking at good bacteria  in the body and started myself on Kefir.  It has sent Mr Crab packing.  Might be worth a go if you think it is gut related.

Best to all.

• Posted

I will have to try kefir I've never heard of it willing to try anything I've had heavy pain found n under left rib reflux issues for 15 months mine detracted few days after picking up a heavy trash bag I've had ultra sound chest X-ray was given blood tests on omperazole but only taken it a couple weeks as I don't think it's the answer now trying bland food no diarrheoa or constipation but sick feeling every day n affecting my breathing was told could have asthma but I don't wheeze or cough but when I wake up in morning I have mucous come up also have mucus in stool, no blood have been told by dr sounds like gastritis after examining me so scared if they send me for endoscopy due to fact scared of not bring able ho breathe n gagging hot huge fear of being sick I'm almost 61 and haven't been physically sick since I was 9 years old so it's huge fear have lump in throat all day n feel sick right found the clock just putting up with it for fear of bring sent for upper endoscopy really silly I know 

• Edited

I was in fear of endoscopy. I have never been put out. My blood pressure was so high when I got there. They asked if I was anxious, I said I almost cancelled. It was over within 10 minutes. I woke up and after all that apprehension they found nothing. I have had this under my rib for years now. As of late it seems to feel worse at times. Still cant figure out what triggers it. My gastro says its from large fibroid. Gyno says no. I have had ultra sounds. Two or three. I had a cat scan. Nothing shows but fibroids. When I bend to pick something up it feels like a football under my left rib. It bothers me most when driving. The endoscopy is really nothing to be afraid of. I am 54. I sm scheduled for colonoscopy in Sept. They are telling me I should have a hysterectomy. No way. Hopefully this helps you if you need to go for endoscopy. 
    • Posted

Please don’t be afraid of the endoscopy I’m the biggest coward going and I had one a few years ago I was asleep for it and it honestly was nothing, you feel perfect afterwards. I have heard Kefir is very good for you and shall definitely try it. I’m also going to try acupuncture to see if it helps and I shall let you know! 
    • Posted

I shall try Kefir and hope it works! I have reflux issues sometimes. Thank you for the tip and here’s hoping 
    • Posted

I will just have throat spray n not sedation as I was so ill for days after when had colonoscopy I don't know wether it's cos I have a rare liver condition or what the reason was but my blood pressure shot down they had to get dr back I'm also on steriods so there is no way on earth I will go through that again  too scared of after effects I want to be able to walk out after the endoscopy not have to wait until I recover, that's if I can pluck up the courage to go for one in the first place lol

• Posted

I have a gut feeling excuse the pun, that it's some sort of hernia since it happened few days after lifting heavy dustbin bag 

• Posted

I really hope this works out for you and don’t be afraid to question the medical team on other options,  we need to get over our fear of upsetting them as that is their job to help us. 
    • Posted

I have a hernia/gastritis/reflux.  I had to stop doing sit ups because it hurt on the left.  This has gone now (touch wood) and I do then again slowly.   I am only bothered by it if I eat/drink badly.  I think it is the Kefir plus plain organic probiotic each day.  Seems to be all about good bacteria killing off the bad and microbiomes in the body for gut healt.  All the docs do is give you PPI's and you are stuffed if you get stuck on them.

Kinesiology also helped me massively with chemical sensitivity I developed.  That was a nightmare, all cleaning products, laquer perfume, petrol, exhaust hurt my chest and back and throat.  Not had that after two sessions and that was 18 months ago.

Mastic gum is also wonderful and will kill any h pylori lurking around.

We just keep trying.

G.

• Posted

Yes that's true, I'm making a drs appointment this week as this morning having lot of clear mucus coming up into my mouth from my stomach, I don't have a cold so not thinking it's post nasal drip, feeling very nauseaus I don't feel that the omperazole I'm taking is doing a lot, the lump I feel in my throat round the clock feels heavy, I do not suffer from anxiety I'm going to have to get over the awful fear of being sent for a endoscopy as this needs to be sorted been going on far too long 

• Posted

I have posted above about Kefir and it has been moderated.  I have no idea why.

Could Mr Moderator please advise me as I don't understand and need to know for future posts.

Thanks

G.

• Posted

You’re doing the right thing by going to your doctor and discuss your fear of the endoscopy (if it should be necessary) as this is stressing you out. I’m sure they can give you something to take the edge off the fear and relax you, it’s a fairly quick procedure and it will give you peace of mind. 
    • Posted

To be honest Gwen I'm going to find out about kefir thanks to you posting it 

• Posted

I bought some yesterday and shall try it out today - thank you for the tip. I've heard it's very good for you 

• Posted

Don't  do as I did and have a full beaker of it first time round-  I had an orchestra going on.  Start with a  small amount and work to what you feel is best (for me I am good with a small beaker every morning).  I then have a plain organic probiotic yoghurt in the evening.  Made a big big difference. 

Go the Kefir Girls lol lol  x

• Posted

Just tried a very small amount this morning! Didn't taste too bad! I shall keep this up for a while and gradually increase the amount I take! 

• Posted

No I live in Dublin I found it in a local health store, I think Holland and Barrett would stock it
    • Posted

Never mind the taste lol - bit soury at first but u gotta keep at it. 
    • Posted

You should be able to get in ur supermarket - here in England you can get in Sainsburys - in the yoghurt isle.
    • Posted

With you saying you got it in a local health store - is it fresh like in yoghurt ?
    • Posted

Yes in the chill cabinet the store is called ‘the health store’ but it’s exceptionally good 
    • Posted

i am going through the exact same thing. no pain. just pressure and some days it feels inflamed and larger than usual. Here is how mine started though. My diet used to be horrible. drank too much alcohol, ate too much meat and dairy and processed meat foods. Used to drink caffeine regularly too. So with this in mind about two years ago i started having major pain my both of my knees. swelling and pain any time i tried to do anything physically active or strenuous. eventually i got to the point where i couldnt walk hardly. so i start seeing a physical therapist she tells me its not my knees, that my left hip was pushed forward.about this time i decided to do some research knowing already that i have a cysts in one of my breast and having inflammation in my knees, i decided to change my diet. it was also an intuitive thing. something kept telling me i needed to. almost immediately my swelling in the knees went away. so she starts working with me to get my hip back into place. next thing that happens is my spine starts popping out of place because my hip was back in. so we went back and forth with this. any time she would get my spine aligned again my hip would pop out and vice versa. so finally i told her about the pressure in my left rib cage area and she felt around lower as well and everything was super painful. she said i think this has nothing to do with your joints. theres something inside pressing against everything. so she tells me to stop the exercises she gave me because i work out regularly. so because the pain was also lower i came to the conclusion its probably an ovarian cysts because i have the issue in my breast too. i started doing things to make the cysts go down in size. did all kinds of research and tried at home remedies. this worked right away and without issue my hip went back in. (one thing i forgot to mention earlier prior to physical therapy was my left leg, the same one with the hip issue felt longer than the other. she gave me a shoe insert and that helped and it was about that time we started having issues with the spine and hip back and forth. ) so i stopped seeing the physical therapists. but the issue with one leg feeling longer than the other started to happen again. i put my shoe insert back in and my hip started giving me issues again and my spine. about 3 or 4 weeks ago i (after changing my diet and everything else) my bowels became inconsistent and major bloating & gas starting happening. at first i thought it was our gym water bc i wasnt drinking it until about that time. so i stopped with the water there. but its still happening. and all of a sudden i started to realize the small thing i used to do to try and give this space on my left some room for whatever was there. i never noticed because it was such small things i did. so now im to the point that whatever is going on in that area has something to do with my joints being pressed against and all of a sudden these digestive issues start occurring too?? so without thinking about it ive been cutting bread out and replacing it with grains. so i decided to eat avocado toast one day and immediately after that area on the left started to hurt and feel more pressure. my bloating and gas and inconsistent and loose bowels had went down within that time of not eating bread and then after eating one piece it was back again! so now im thinking its gluten intolerance or celiac disease. i tell the doctor this... and what she got my entire message was my f*****g joint issues. so she wants to send me to an orthopedic doctor. so i think my doctor is an idiot. and im going to have to do this on my own. i would recommend going to a nutritionist or holistic health nutritionist, which is my next plan! in the mean time im going to do research in celiac and gluten and see what i can do to relieve this pressure on my muscles and rib cage and back

• Posted

also!! yogurt is a horrible idea! it will make it worse! try culturelle probiotics. it helps some

• Posted

have similar issue going on, have had this feeling forr years like something under my left ribs, cant feel anything when i pprobe the area, been to dr numerous times to get it checked out. they never felt anything yet i feel theres something there. sometimes pains gets uncomfortable or bloated. had blood work , bowel tests,urine tests, colonospy,ultrasound,ct scan,all showed up was kidney stones, gallstones which i had surgery for in july. tells me i have ibd,hemangioma of liver. ,some fibroids. at times it doesn, t bother me its the mental issue of worrying about it that makes me so unsettled i think . i just want to know for sure its nothing !some dr just lump rverything under ibd condition n that makes me mad , if i got an issue look into it dont give me a umbrella disgnosis!!

• Posted

Hi ellen74380, I am having the exact same feeling under or on my left ribs, can't pin out exactly where. No pain just a wierd feeling, like something is there. I took antiinflammatories for 2 weeks as the dr thinks is a subtle costocohondritis. It didn't help much and now I am having stomache probably because of the pills (After two weeks I have stopped them, stomache was gone, took again for a day stomache came back at night). Currently waiting for an ultrasound, any update with your diagnosis?

• Posted

I am experiencing the same thing under my left rib Cage like something is there. I do not know if it is the colon as the left rib x Ray came back negative for fracture. it's an annoying g feeling but does go away temporarily after sleeping or having g a bowel movement. I was diagnosed with a hernia recently not sure if that has anything to do with this constant feeling like something is stuck under the left rib.

• Posted

this is splenic flexure syndrome , its resistant to all possible treatments i have tried , dont know how to get rid of it , its very annoying though not life threatening.

• Posted

Yes its Splentic flexure syndrome and if ignored for too long ,like me it will become very painful and cause serious problems with intestine motility resulting in stoma in some people

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.