Uncomfortable Pressure

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I wonder if someone can give my some advice please. This is a long story but I’ll get straight to the point.

I have a cantilever bridge for my central incisors and veneers on my lateral incisors. This was done at different times but for the last six months, I have been experiencing an uncomfortable amount of pressure in/on one of my lateral incisors next to the missing tooth the bridge has filled. No pain whatsoever but so much discomfort that has often led me to believe this tooth could pop out at any moment. In the last month the other lateral incisor has started to feel like this but not as often.I’ve had the dentist that did the work examine twice and he has said it is fine and nothing to worry about. It’s hard not to worry about something that you are almost constantly aware of. It’s gotten to the stage now where I’m struggling to speak properly, avoiding certain words, because it feels so uncomfortable. I’ve noticed an eggy taste in my mouth after brushing too in the last couple of weeks.

The dentist seems to be ignoring me and not getting back to me although I’m still paying him for the work he did. When I floss, sometimes the gap between the bridge and one of the veneers feels tight or loose. I’ve notice that while one veneer is fitted perfectly, the other isn’t as below the gum seems to be a whiter composite.

I’m petrified that my only option is to go back to my NHS dentist that could lead to having these teeth extracted since I can’t afford anymore cosmetic treatment. Obviously, I’m going to have to see someone, but, where does this leave me with the private dentist that did the veneers and bridge with regards to payment and negligence?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ben

I had a crown replaced 18 months ago and sometimes the floss moves easily between it and the next tooth but varies and can be really uncomfortably tight another time. It was worse during the first 12 months and sometimes it can feel sensitive to hot food or when chewing something hard. I don't think it's anything to really worry about and I don't think an extraction should be necessary in such cases. I do think that care needs to be taken and that I don't expect a bridge to be as strong as the natural teeth. I also think that a certain amount of strain/movement of the natural supporting tooth is inevitable.

I also have a bridge and the space between one of the supporting crowns and the next tooth varies.

I'm guessing as you're still paying that your work was done this last year or two. If you did want to try an NHS opinion, try ringing your local commissioning authority Patient Advice and Liaison department for advice on your situation.

I sympathise as my bridge is now over 30 years old and I dread having it broken or replaced or teeth extracted.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Ben are you or were you double jointed!? I know that might sound silly and nothing in relation to your oral problems. However you have obviously had quite a lot of dental work that sounds as if you have a degree of mobility in your mouth. You don't give an age, but whatever, If your teeth are slightly mobile. It might be one of two things 1) you might have the start of mild inflamatuon round your tooth margins 2) if your hypermobile your gums could be too. I know this from bitter experience. If you suspect the latter, the former will apply too, plus you DO need to download the dental and eye problems from EDS UK. This says that some with this and believe me there are many, have thin tooth enamel compared to normal people. If your dentist sees twisted roots that is another sign. If this applies has he offered you Duraphat toothpaste to help to protect your teeth. 

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you for the responses.

I am 30 and as far as I am aware, I am not double jointed. I do not suffer with sensitivity on these teeth either. I was told to use Duraphat toothpaste a few years ago and Corsodyl but never told to in the last couple of years.

The first bridge was fitted back in March of last year, after seven years of having lost the tooth due to a horrible accident. The second bridge was fitted back in January this year as I was not happy with the colour after whitening. In the last ten months, I have had three lots of composite veneers applied to my lateral incisors. The composite stained too easily, so I eventually decided I was wasting my time and money so opted for the ceramic ones which were fitted in May. So, yeh, lots of work on these teeth in a short space of time.

I am aware that both my lateral incisors are heavily stained on the inside but no decay - according to the private Dentist. He also said there is a small filling on the inside of one that causes the most discomfort. Even with the veneer, this tooth still has a greyish tinge to it, which is annoying as this was the reason for the veneers in the first place. I haven’t had an X-ray on these teeth in the last six months, but my NHS didn’t want to use the "grey" tooth as an anchor for the first bridge hence the cantilever option. None of these teeth have ever bothered me whatsoever until six months ago and I have had a check-up in that time where I was told my gums are healthy and everything else looked fine.

There are good days and bad days, generally they feel fine when I take my mouth guards out in morning, as I grind my teeth at night. It’s the only time my front teeth can actually bite down on each other as I have lost my bite. Making tasks I used to take for granted impossible, biting off sellotape, eating spaghetti etc. I am aware my teeth are somewhat mobile, I get the occasional clicking in a couple of my bottom teeth and one of my lateral incisors also started doing this occasionally in the last few weeks.

When I get chance I shall download the EDS guide and ring the local commission authority. I can't go on like this, it is affecting my mood and communication skills, I haven't been myself for so long. Potentially, I'll have to see a dentist sooner than later. I hoped this would pass but other than the odd good day - it hasn't.

Thank you for your time and responses. Apologies for the essay, but I hope I have answered all questions and given a better insight.

Ben

• Posted

Hi Ben, grey teeth are often a sign that the root is damaged. I am not certain whether there would be any benefit in having them whitened again. I have had a terribly dry mouth all my life and still have kept my teeth. I have Sjogrens Syndome but at a much younger age than the usual demographic group. I have been advised by my private dentist that whitening and veneers are not suitable for me. Obviously dentistry can become very costly. It's really something you should think about, I am hypermobile. With EDS many have thin enamel, twisted roots and stones in the pulp. 
    • Posted

Hi Pam,

I’m sorry to hear that you suffer with Sjogrens Syndome, I’d never even heard of it until today. I’m pretty sure I do not have EDS and this is just a dental problem.

Perhaps I’m in need of root canal treatment or something. I’ve often wondered this but nobody has ever said I needed it. I’ve always assumed the greyness was down to trauma from the accident since it only affects the neighbouring tooth of the one I lost.

I’d never have my teeth whitened again, I only really needed a good scale and polish but this is something I never had under an NHS dentist so I was naïve.

Thanks again,

Ben 

• Posted

Hi,

Just wanted to update this.

Had an X-Ray today and it turns out I have an abcess. This tooth has had a root filling at some point, although, I don't remember when.

Thanks,

Ben

• Posted

Well Ben I am so glad you have got to the bottom of the problem literally! I know all about root canal fillings and abscess as I suffer from 2 problems that affect the mouth. I inherited one EDS HT and Sjögren's Syndrome! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.