Under active thyroid.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnoised 17 yrs ago after being tested for all sorts of things including leukemia. I have been on a regular dose of 75mg of thyroxine for yrs now. But i have been starting to notice that i have, how should i put it Brain fog. I will be stood making a cuppa and the phone will ring about an hr later i'll remember. Also i am getting my words completely muddled. I was eating chrisp the other day and said to my husband "I have chrips stuck in my chips" funny i know but obviously what i was trying to say was chrips stuck in my teeth. My main question is should i speak to my dr or is it just another one of the symtoms im going to have to put up with?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Louise you are posting about hypothyroidism on a Hyperactive Board.  I am wondering if you initially were Hyperthyroid and had radiation therapy or thyroid surgery and became hypoactive?  If so there are Boards with people here with that problem but this problem is not usually discussed on the Hyperactive Board. 
  • Posted

Hello Louise:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease. I am HYPOthyroid.

Hypo, menas under active.  Hyper means too much!

Now here are the symptoms of LOW (HYPO) Thyroid.  Weight gain, brain fog, tired all the time, feeling cold, low energy, dry skin & brittle nails, feeling depressed, bruising easily and muscle aches.  These are most common ones and there are more.

As time goes by we need a change in our medication.  So it would be wise to see the doctor and have your blood tested again.  It is treatable and you may need more Thyroxine (LEVO) so please call the doctor and explain to them what symptoms you have.  Log it down on paper so you do not forget and hand it to the doctor.

Make sure you ask the doctor for a mineral panel which is blood work.  It includes calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, ferritin, sodium, also get your vitamin D level tested as it can go low when you have thyroid disease.

I hope this helps, let us know how you do. 

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly i really have never been told very much about my thyroid problem, I have always just got on with it like you do. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi, hope you are feeling better now.  A lot of the people who post here are in the USA and do not understand taht things are different in and some of us are in the UK. We cannot just demand lots of blood tests for example. I also have an underactive thyroid. Some people make it sound a lot more complicated than it needs to be!  For example, if you are on a dose of medicine and need a higher dose you do not need to write long lists of all of your symptoms and have lots of long discussions, just try increasing the dose of medicine. Simple.
    • Posted

I don't know about you in UK but here in North America, my doctor would be outraged if I adjusted my med dosages myself without his being informed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.