Under active thyroid and acid reflux

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosed with a underactive thyroid early last year and am currently taking 50mg of Thyroxine. I then started to develop burning in my stomach and horrible taste in my mouth. The doc gave me omeprazole and this didn't help so I was then put on lanzoprazole and recently finished ranitidine. None of these have cured the prob but have since found out its only relief! I've been referred for endoscopy in 6 weeks and dreading it but every day the symptoms have been getting worse. I've had severe chest pains and today severe stomach pains. I only have gaviscon to relieve this. Is there anŷone else who is in the same situation coz I feel like I'm alone being underactive and having reflux! I'm struggling to eat foods and just feel so fed up and lost. It doesn't help I spend alot if time bending over ect in my job as a kennel hand. Any advice anyone?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have an underactive Thyroid and also acid reflux and get all the same symtoms as you. Was at A&E yesterday with chest pains but again they say it is the acid that is causing it. So frightening though. I also struggle to eat, even the smallest portion feels like a banquet!! I am on Lanzoprazole 15mg in the morning and 15mg at night also Gaviscon. I feel so faint after eating that it is difficult to understand that this is acid reflux but have had a endoscopy and they said there was a pool of acid there. Please be assured that the endoscopy is not as bad as everyone says, I have had 3 without any medication and the people doing it were so nice. Hope all goes well for you

• Posted

Most people are far more worried about what the resultgs will be than actually hving the test.
  • Posted

Hi

I just wanted to say that I am also hypothyroid and have this bitter taste!

I am taking 50mg Levothyroxine.

It's not really what I'd describe as acidic - it's just bitter/sour. Sometimes my tongue feels poisoned! My Drs have not really helped - I don't think they 'get' what I'm trying to describe. I've had this taste for over 2 months now - some days worse than others but it's very depressing. I've kept a food diary and think it is linked to tomatoes, dairy and maybe eggs.....

Last night I had pizza and woke up coughing and choking. Today I have the bitter taste worse than I've had it for a few days sad

Anyway, just wanted to say - you're not alone!

• Posted

Hi,

I also have an underactive thyroid, aclled Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis and acid reflux. I am going to have my thyroid gald removed and the noduls on it very soon. As for the acid reflux a strict diet has helped me, no canned food, only alkaline fruit and vegetables. No coffe, pizzas, fried food, eggs, dairy, only lean meat, like chicken, turkey, fish. Low salt, low fat diet, no spices. You can try fresh raw potato juice, drink a glass on an empty stomach for a few weeks. Imoprtant is to get of the long term medication and try to control de acid reflux with a good diet and some natural supplements. I also have a spasmotic oesophagus which gets worse with acid reflux. Sharp pains in the chest area. Stress and anxiety makes it worse.

Take care,

• Posted

For what its worth am in a similar situation to you. I research and learn so that I am not at the mercy of silly doctors who often make mistakes or do not look at the whole picture or fob you off. I found that certain probiotics sometimes helped me a lot more than those medications pp1s and pp2, with a lot less side effects.
  • Posted

I have the same thing and the same meds as well, not much help from my doc, says I have had this a long time(true), but need a new blood test. Also have a pouch in esophagus and hiatal hernia of all things. I heard thyroid can be the issue, but since I am also suffering from a new autoimmune disease which frankly is even worse right now, LS, I have to be treated symptomly not for once, I can't get blood test done yet. Have your calcium level and your throid and para thyroids checked it may save you from hyperparathroid pancreatis, which I unfortunately had to suffer through due to stupid doc not checking blood levels, or go to different doctor!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.