Under investigation for dizziness

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am under investigation for my dizziness, I've had an MRI scan and balance tests (where they poured warm water and cold water down my ears).  I have been prescribed Cinnarizine to take when necessary and am due to see the consultant at the end of this month. The problem is I am still getting my dizziness and I am getting quite worried about it as it's been over a year now.  It can happen anytime when sitting, walking but it's not a room spinning dizziness, more of an unsteady off balance feeling which then leads to a frontal headache a bit like when you look at a bright light which makes you squint and look away.  I am getting quite worried as its knocking my confidence and making me scared to go out.   Does anyone have any opinions about this?  Thanks

1 like, 66 replies

66 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have had dizziness since february. I have both bppv and another form of dizziness that can't be explained medically. Three docs have told me that it's most likely phobic dizziness. Only when I walk and stand and I mostly feel it in my forhead/eye area. Maybe your's the same thing?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  It is very strange feeling and I just don't know what the cause could be.  I'm just worried they won't be able to find any cause as it scares me.   At the moment as I am sitting down writing this I feel a pressure in my forehead, like a headache.  Originally a neurologist said it was migranous related and put me on amitryptaline but that didn't work, they just kept making me feel very drowsy.  I'm hoping they will get to the bottom of it.   
  • Posted

possibly migraine vertigo.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed with migraine vertigo and yes it was happening every day to begin with. It's a feeling of unsteadiness or like I'm going to fall, happens when standing in open spaces. What happened when they did the water test? Did it provoke your symptoms at all?
    • Posted

Hi carina, yes daily and sometimes can last for a week or more, with recovery periods in between and then back to similar.  As I have BPPV and silent migraines the consultant told me not to confuse the two.  Now i know the difference between describing feeling dizzy and balance problems.  Dizzy was when my head was swimming inside my skull when i rolled over in bed but now i have visual vertigo and balance issues caused by silent migraines, of course, when i get anxious it worsens, but the medication i take has improved the amount of visual vertigo i experience, as has cutting back on triggers which i believe for me are over indulgence in chocolate, cheese and caffeine.   It has taken me 2 years to get more insight into what it is i am actually experiencing, so i would say now i am hardly dizzy, having not had a recent bout of BPPV but i have occasional periods of visual vertigo whereas before it seemed almost constant.  Keep hydrated and try not to get over tired.  Keep moving as taking to bed and lying around maker it harder to retrain the brain to compensate for the lack of balance.  Best wishes.  Anne.
    • Posted

I get my results from the balance tests at the end of this month so I will update you and yes, having the test did bring on my dizziness which she said it would, it was very unpleasant as my palpitations started again which I know was the anxiety brought on my dizziness and fear of fainting but I need to get to the bottom of this.
  • Posted

Hi Carina, yes, I am feeling same way too. I am heading in to my second month of this. What were the results of your balance test? I guess u had your vision checked by opthalmologist?
    • Posted

I am waiting to get my balance test results at the end of this month so will let you know.  I have had eyes tested, MRI scan etc so I am being thoroughly tested at the moment and hope there will be a conclusion to why I get this.
  • Posted

Chronic dizziness? Might be a anxeity issues, It cause due to stress, long term fear, Alcohol, Smoke, Caffeine etc, If you are Consuming alcohol, caffeine, smoke stop them ASAP, Consult with a good psychiatrist, you can see a better improvement within 4 months,. 

• Posted

My GP is putting this down to anxiety but I'm not convinced.  I don't smoke and only drink the odd glass of wine when I go out for a meal.  I am determined to get to the bottom of this
    • Posted

anxiety obviously can worsen the problem but isn't the cause, your GP is being sloppy suggesting this before eliminating other possibilities.
  • Posted

Hello. I have everything that you described including all the tests, MRI, CT scans, eye Drs, etc.... I have the headaches and vision problems too. I'm sorry to report to you that I have been suffering for 2 years now, everyday!!!!

im sorry but I have no answers for you.. I know that we have to keep moving and don't give in to this. It seems IMPOSSIBLE sometimes to function but keep going. We are always looking for someone to come up with some cure for us all. Stay strong !

• Posted

I just thought i would update you all.  I saw the consultant last week and she has now given me some different tablets to try, they are nortryptyline and i am due to go back in January to see how i've got on with them, i hope they will help but i don't like relying on tablets (i take enough tablets as it is) and hope it won't be permanent.
    • Posted

Hi Carina i am also on nortriptyline for silent migraines.  I also am on a restricted diet that could be causing them.  Have you got a diagnosis?
    • Posted

They have put it down to migraneous vertigo although I've never suffered from migraines before so it came as quite a surprise to me,  this has all come about over the last year or so.  Am hoping this will help otherwise I have no idea what would be causing my dizziness/unsteadiness.  How are you getting on with the medication?
    • Posted

Hi Carina, same here.  I'm on it for 'silent migraines' that cause vertigo,.  My vision goes wonky and i feel spaced out and the consultant said that was caused by silent migraines.  Initially the tablets really helped but now i am getting the problem back on occasions and he said i could up the dosage by 10 mgs to 20mgs a day as was on 10 mgs.  I have also stopped drinking caffeine drinks and am trying to cut back on sugar.  Overall there there has been an improvement and i do notice now that i get a dull ache at the base of my skull and behind my left eye and also sometimes at the top of my head, so maybe this is a problem.  I notice it more when i wake up, first thing in the morning.   At first i wasn't convinced either but there were days when i was getting a pounding in my ears rather than a headache and consultant said this is all part of silent migraines where you just get mostly the vertigo and visual problems.  A colleague at work was also having tension headaches and cut out caffeine and started using brown, natural sugar and she says so no longer gets them anymore.   I am hoping to come off th nortriptyline if i can control the symptoms with diet. Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

hello anne, can i ask, how often do you get these 'silent migraines' ?  i have recently started taking nortryptaline but haven't really noticed a difference yet, i am still getting my frontal headaches with feelings of unsteadiness/dizziness and my head feels really heavy.  I get these quite often, a few times a week, i can go say for a week to 10 days feeling 'ok ish' and then i get a few in a week, does this sound normal?  the consultant did say it will take up to 2 weeks for the medication to kick in.
    • Posted

Hello Carina, I think mine were almost daily with a few days off and then back again,  it took about 2 weeks for me to notice any difference.  I was having wonky vision, where i couldn't focus my eyes, and balance problems most every day, worse in the mornings and easing off throughout the day, so it was almost daily.  Likewise i would also have the odd good week and then go backwards again, so basically I was all over the place, good day, bad day.  As someone else here once wrote, good 5 mins, bad 5 mins, good day, bad day, good week, bad week, which pretty much sums it up, totally unpredictable.  It hasn't gone away completely but i would say i am 80% improved, as though i can still feel it sometimes in the background it not so much at the forefront anymore.  I may need to increase the dosage as i am starting to find it isn't as good as it was when i first started on the nortriptyline in July but i am trying to cut back on my diet that might be causing it rather than increasing the dosage as i would like to come off these meds if i can and it worsens my tinnitus in my left ear which was caused by a head injury many years ago.  Hope you feel an improvement soon.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.