Under Pressure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Would be grateful if any one knows of a link between IBS and high blood pressure.

I have IBS and have for a number of years and cope well enough to leave where I live and work part time. The job is rung down from what I used to do and I am fine.

I have had a number of blood pressure read outs lately and I am in the 160 range of high blood pressure but I have no symptoms and feel fine but apparently this region is a concern so wondered if the IBS was a factor. 

I do suffer with anxiety but not anxious about anything currently.

All ideas gratefully received

M

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have ibs but have low blood pressure. However my ibs is related to my chronic fatigue syndrome and is a symptom of it. I wouldn't say they are related but they are both affected by stress.

• Posted

I have high blood pressure but that preceeds my IBS symptoms and IBS diagnosis, so in my case I don't think there is a definite connection. 

Having said that, I know IBS and anxiety are inter-related, and anxiety does raise blood pressure so it may be related. 

My GP got me measure my blood pressure at home over 7 days, and those readings were consistently better than at the surgery - an average reading of 131/80 compared to 150/90 at the surgery, so that seems to confirm that anxiety does impact on blood pressure. 

I wouldn't describe myself as a particularly anxious person but it does seem as though there is a relationship between anxiety, IBS and high blood pressure. 

Do let me know how you get on. 

Jan

• Posted

Looks like I need to get a home kit then. Doc mentioned as he said there was white coat anxiety which is when your BP goes up due to being in the surgery. I was 160 yesterday and that was after getting up, listening to the radio and making dry toast so hardly a stressful morning. 
  • Posted

Strangely enough, I am in the same boat.
    • Posted

If you learn anything about this please share as apparently 160/100 is high but I feel fine.
    • Posted

Yes, 160/100 is considered to be high enough to warrant medication to lower your blood pressure, if that really is a true measure of your BP. My GP said the only way to get a true measure is to take your BP morning and night, 12 hours apart, over 7 days and then work out the average. He also said BP will be much higher in the morning than in the evening, because that is your body's natural response to "get up and go." That was certainly the case with my readings at home, but the average proved to be fine, albeit still slightly on the high side of normal. 

Well worth buying a machine and taking your BP at home. 

Jan

• Posted

Just back from surgery 184/126. I was told to go home and relax. I think you are right BP machine. Any ideas please post as no energy to look now as very sleepy. Thank you for your help. Meeting up with doc 6 Dec to discuss results of 24 hour monitor I wore yesterday. 
    • Posted

There are loads of home BP monitors to choose from. Mine cost about  £15 and I got it from a high street chemist. 

Just to reassure you,  before I was put on a suitable medication there was an occasion when my BP "spiked" to something like 188/130 - that was the only time I felt unwell but I was soon back to normal. 

Put you feet up and relax. 

Jan

• Posted

I will have a look. To be honest it was never something I thought I would ever need. 

I don't like taking medication but I might have to admit defeat this time. That is just the point I feel fine don't feel unwell. The only unwell I have is when I have an IBS attack but veins have started to become incompetent in my right leg so definitely things going on inside my body. I asked him if I could still jog and he said yes but would have thought BP would be even higher at those times. I will know more in Dec. Thank you

• Posted

I have ibs but have low blood pressure. However my ibs is related to my chronic fatigue syndrome and is a symptom of it. I wouldn't say they are related but they are both affected by stress.

• Posted

He mentioned fatigue to me which I don't think I have but do nod off an awful lot so something isn't right when you nod off at 4 at your desk. Luckily I am alone by that time. 

• Posted

Anxiety doesn't help blood pressure.  When I went to my GP surgery purely to register, the nurse found my pulse was racing.  However, my blood pressure was fine.  White coat syndrome is very common.  Having IBS doesn't make for a good mix.  

I am back on Buscopan again due to an IBS flare up caused by a woman sending me a tart email for making a mistake on a form I sent her!  I was not amused and described my angst on Facebook along with a Limerick ro poke fun at her.

• Posted

Thought you might say that. Definitely suffer with anxiety just as part of my personality. I get that a lot pulse racing. I used to get it all time with my ex and make myself ill. I do not feel as unwell since we broke up but still have my moments. I have Laxedo in the cupboard but try not to take it. I get freaked out taking tablets as I do not know what is in them. 

I am more ore likely to get anxious if I don't know where I am going on an unfamiliar road but I would be fine with a tart e-mail. We all have different triggers. I am sure she appreciated your limerick. Luckily I am not on Facebook so miss all that fun. This is my only social media and only came here because I was trying to save my relationship which failed but I have learned a lot about many bodily functions in here.

• Posted

When I was working, I once had a pulse beating like a drum in my forehead and I worried I was going to have a stroke.  Apparently, the pulse in your head is a common anxiety symptom.  When I was younger practically everything stressed me.  Eventually I learned to avoid many of these triggers but if I have to face them, my stress levels go sky high which led to IBS because my body can longer handle the pressure.

The lady who irritated me is not on Facebook but many of my friends are and enjoyed me having a laugh.  The thought of the lady being unaware of me poking fun, adds to the amusement in some way and helps to calm my intestine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.