Underarm Pain

Posted , 113 users are following.

Where do I start. Hoping someone can put my mind at rest.

In January, I had a nasty virus which led to chest pains, feeling terrible, palpitations, went to doctors, had ECG and bloods, all normal. Was taking Cerazette mini pill at time, stopped taking it. Started feeling a little better, started taking again. Had dull ache under left armpit and sore boobs. Put this down to starting pill again. Chest started feeling all tight and heavy, pains again, so stopped pill again, went back to doctors, slight swelling to sternum area, told I had Costochondritis. Pain in underarm/left side of breast continued, had a good check doing self breast exam, went back to doctors, had examination off the doctor, no lumps felt, no swollen lymph nodes, doctor put it down to combination of hormomes and costochondritis. Painful armpit went away, got my period, started taking cerazette again.

After a few days, started feeling ill again, armpit and left breast uncomfortable. Took pill for about 12 days, then made decision to stop it altogether, had another doctors apt - blood pressure, heart rate and ECG (again) all normal.

However, dull pain/ache still in armpit and sometimes down left side of breast, sometimes ache down arm. Its intermittent, not always there, when I'm sitting and relaxing I dont feel it, its not stopping me sleeping. When I'm doing things around the house, i'm aware of it. When I squeeze my armpit towards my body, I can feel the ache, but when I stop squeezing,

i dont feel it.  Both my breasts look as normal as usual.

I'm sick of waking up every day to this, worrying about it, the doctor says there no lumps and it will probably go away in time, but i'm worried that theres something more seriously wrong, and keep thinking im going to die and leave my husband and daughter which upsets me and makes me think of it more!

I have a 2 year old child that Im always lifting up, and i'm left handed, am wondering if it could be hormonal due to the amount of times I've stopped and started the mini pill in a short space of time, and also if I maybe have a trapped nerve or damaged a muscle in some way.

Any comments would be appreciated.

7 likes, 162 replies

162 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm glad that I came across this, I too am experiensing the same thing. My pain started after using the nuva ring. And is exactly on my left side. Even my sternum hurts as well but with the blood work and ECG and ex rays and ultrasounds my Dr. Hasn't been able to figure out what is going on with me.. Everything seems to be normal. But I worry everyday just like you. It's a horrible feeling I know how you feel. I have another app this Wed's I'm praying that I get an answer to this pain and hope to feel normal again. Please if you don't mind keep me posted on how your appointment goes. I will like to know if you find out what is causing you this pain. By the way I'm 28 years old I know others were mentioning menopause but that is definitely not my case.
  • Posted

Hi there im syelo 37yo.. I have the same situation like you.. it's been a year that I feel pain under arm and also down left side of breast.. I already check to a few doctors and also ecg, palpation by surgeon thanks God the all said nothing wrong with my armpit and also my breast.. no mass ni lumps..  the doctors didn't give me any madicine just pain killer if its necessary... but sometimes the pain still come and away.. 

I have 4 kids.. and the youngest still 2yo that I always carry him with my left hand... the doctor said maybe because if it.. or maybe hormonal imbalance... but I just still thinking about it and worry everyday.. doctor refer me to go to psychiatrist to heal my anxiety. .. I took antidepressants from a doctor for 3 months.. and feel okay with all.. after I stop the medicine the pain is come again.. I try to not thinking too much even the pain still come and go.. but I know that the doctors say that nothing wrong with my underarm and my breast...

• Posted

Hi ladies, i was wondering if anyone has figure out what is causing this pain. I have an ultrasound on Friday and I am very scare about the results. I don't know what to expect. So if anyone else has any news about the symptoms I would greatly appreciate you letting me know.. 

Thank you.. 

• Posted

Hi everyone, been having aching in right armpit on and off since March. Saw doc who  found small movable lump in armpit he said I'd probably had a virus and my glands were swollen and not to worry. Lump disappeared but dull ache comes back when I get stressed or really hot. Sometimes the sensation moves into the back of the bicep.

Had a routine mammogram in April which came back clear. I am 51 so this was standard practice for my age. 

I am taking Levothyrixine for hypothyroidism 150 mg a day, am thinking of going back to docs now to see if this is a cause.

• Posted

Hi everyone just to let you know of a really informative site. Www.empowher.com Check it out, has mad me feel whole lot better!
    • Posted

Thank you very much Tracy64852 I would sure check it out. I feel so lost out of options my breast ultrasound came back normal thank God but I still don't know what is causing me pain.. 
    • Posted

Hi, glads11918 I'm coming to the conclusion it's down to  a few things, the menopause reduces estrogen levels which effects to lymph glands. I also do a lot of lifting at work and housework is all done right handed. 

today I've consciously tried to do as much left handed as poss, I've also taken evening primrose oil , a menopace multi vitamin and changed my deo to bionsen cause it contains zero aluminium. 

Lets see if there's any improvement.

As a matter of interest how old are you? if you don't mind me asking, I'm trying to see if there is a common denominator.

by the way I have lost a couple of stone in weight since May

• Posted

I too have had the same experience. I am in the states. Here we call it Heather mini pill. Progesterone only. Armpit pain....heart palpitations..headaches..Pain under my Sternum....shoots down to my arms as well. Horrible. Dr thinks I'm fine. Idk what to do. I know I am experiencing these symptoms. I think I'm gonna stop the mini pill. Hell with this. It's worth a try. Thought anxiety...panic attatcs??
  • Posted

Just an update on using eve prim. Oil and menopace caps for two weeks.

symtoms have really improved only a couple of mild bouts since then.

• Posted

Well I had the breast exam and mammogram yesterday as well as an ultrasound of that lump thats kind of by my shoulder above the breast. She doesn't think its anything I should be concerned about but I won't get the results til Wednesday. Either way I have opted to get it taken out because its tender and I don't like it...lol. I did find out I was iron deficient so that will account for some of things that have been going on.

Still no results on what's causing the pain but it's now in my back, arms and legs. I'm pretty sure its Fibromyalgia but we will wait and see what the next batch of tests reveal!

• Posted

I am also having these same symptoms. It's driving me crazy and stressing me completely out. it all started about two months ago when I experienced excessive pain in both breasts and under my left arm at the onset of my monthly cycle. It freaked me out because of the under arm pain as in Feb of 2013 I needed to get a biopsy done due to calsification changes in the left breast. All was clear as were my follow up mammograms. After experiencing this pain I went for my annual mamo which came back clear again. I then went to my gynecologist for a breast exam (all clear) and then to my primary who has sent me to a Neuromuscular neurologist thinking its nerve related pain.  The neurologist is sending me for MRI & blood work however he really wasn't focused at all on the underarm pain but was looking more for symptoms in my sholder and down my arm. I really think this is more breast related as the pain intensifies in both my under arm and left breast during my hormonal times (period, ovulation) and diminishes when I'm not hormonal.  I don't want to wait for the MRI as its set to focus on my shoulder and not under my arm. Im thinking of just scheduling an appt with the breast surgeon who did my biopsy to get her to check me out.  It will take some time to get in to see her but not having answers is as I said completely stressing me out. In the mean time, I'm going to start the evening primrose oils as suggested to see if that helps. I'm so happy to of found this blog as it is comforting to know there are other women out there experiencing the same thing all searching for answers. Perhaps working together we will figure this thing out. 
    • Posted

Hi dme watesey Kelly and all, I tried to send a reply and must have made an error, so having another go. I have all the same symptoms - now for 5 months- no issues on mammogram or ultrasound or GP exams. Pain is in or near the left breast armpit area in behind the front muscle at the left breast (?). Like Watesey, I've had a really bad series of colds 7 months ago with TMJ pain on the right side following on from right ear infection. I use a dental block at night to reduce clenching and jaw pain. The jaw pain and armpit pain come on together often and stress related, and I feel tired a good deal of the time. I am post menopausal and no history of hormone issues. Relief may be coincidental but came with concerted efforts to resume jogging and taking higher dosage of vitamin D. Stopping both and the pain came back and is continuoussad Thankyou for your posts. Hope this is helpfulsmile 
    • Posted

I have stopped the bc pill. Pain is pretty much gone now. Also have had a heart stress test...keg as well as a mammogram. All are fine. I have noticed that the pain that I do still feel is mostly in left chest. No longer armpit or in arm. Jaw pain is better too. Huh. Funny.....I also quit taking diphenhydramine to sleep at night too. I drink 65-90 ounces of water a day as well. Good luck guys...but stopping the mini pill sure has he k pedal all my symptoms. !!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.