Understanding cholesterol levels ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've just had a cholesterol test - age 64 - and confused by figures - I weigh 8st 7lbs and eat a low fat diet anyway - 

however these are the figures - can anyone tell me what is good bad or otherwise?

Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.00

HDL : total cholesterol ratio 33%

Serum triglycerides 0.7 mmmol/L   0.50-2.10mmmol/L

!! Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.2 mmmol/L  1.00-1.80mmmol/L

serum LDL cholesterol level  4.1 mmmol/L

Serum cholesterol  6.6 mmmol/L

I was told the levels of good and bad are fine, but cholesterol level is a bit high.

Have no idea really what each one means and all I know is it SHOULD be 4-5??  

The only things I spoil myself with is the odd milky coffee and a small cake once or twice a week - don't eat crisps,etc and eat low fat yogs/spread.

Would be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I dont really understand all the above, it looks complicated but if your cholesterol is 6.6 I wouldnt worry in the slightest. Mine was 15.9 at its highest!! That was over a year ago aand I am stillhere. I think people can worry too much about cholesterol and triglycerides, oh and those were 28.5 and apparently shoukd be no more than 2.1. I do not drink alcohol, dont eat fatty foods etc so think its genetic. 

If I were you I wouldnt give it a second thought! Enjoy yourself, eat what you want, don't stress xx

• Posted

Thanks - I'd not had one before so was just really surprised when the doctor said I should watch my diet sad( if I get much smaller I'll waste away!
    • Posted

Exactly! Blimey it sounds like you are tiny! Doesnt it make you wonder how all these obese people even survive?! Please dont worry x
    • Posted

Thanks v much! The couple of things I am now are of that I DO nibble on, cream crackers at teatime!!  and an ice cream here and there - will swop for a slice of toast perhaps? I have to keep a low weight due to back problems, but will now keep more of an eye on it than I have done. I have a weakness for hot chocolate so that will be one thing I will cut out!
  • Posted

Susie, they do tell you to watch your diet when your cholesterol is above the upper 5's.  Mine is 7.1 at the moment and I'm working on it!  If we have someone in our family background with high cholesterol then we can inherit it but sometimes it it just our bodies making too much. Weight doesn't really have much bearing on it - I have a couple of friends who are extra slimline but are being treated for high cholesterol. I was told that they aren't too concerned if people haven't got other risk factors, such as smoking/high blood pressure.  Your reading of 6.6 is not that high, but it's still good to be aware of it especially as we get older.
    • Posted

Many thanks!! I have quite good low blood pressure, and she did say that the good and bad pretty much level each other out, but got quite worried reading the figures you find! Really grateful for your thoughts! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.