Understanding depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, im new to this forum. I sometimes visited to have a read through discussions and decided to make an account to try and connect to people who might feel the same as me. 

I'am female and 21yrs old, i have been suffering from depression for 7-8 years and anxiety for 3 years.

I have been taking 100mg of sertraline since January 15 (starting on 50mg and upped to 100mg in march)

Opinions on the drug; I exprienced terrible side effects as soon as taking it, dry mouth, severe headaches, excessive sleeping, incresed anxiety and low mood, general feeling of being spaced out. These side effects occured for about 2 weeks until they subdued, the only one i really continue to have problems with is headaches. I didn't feel much change and spoke to my doctor who increased the dose to 100mg again i braced myself for the 2 weeks of side effects, after that i have had a good few months being able to do different things yes i have bad days like everyone but i'm beginning to praise myself just by being able to get out of bed get dressed and leave the door with a smile on my face that for me is a big step. Even though i can appriceate the good days my bad days are starting to get worse again, i don't know if i need a higher dose but i feel as if the initial buzz is wearing off. I have no idea how these drugs are supposed to work, in an ideal world i'd wake up tomorrow and never feel anxious or depressed again but thats never going to happen. 

When i was first started on the drug i asked to be reffered to a therapist, eventually after 6 months of waiting i finally got an appointment only to find it completely pointless, yes i could sit and talk to someone for an hour but i didnt recieve any feedback or opinion on my thoughts or ways to cope with my feelings, so after my hour session i had to leave with all these thoughts and feelings which i bury away every day, buzzing around my head with nothing to do with them. I have sinced stopped seeing my talk therapist and have requested to be refered to a cbt instead hoping they might be able to help. 

The only useful advice i can offer people at the minute is try writing, i did roll my eyes when someone mentioned this to me, i didnt want to feel like a 13yr old school kid writing about what they did that day, instead whenever im feeling low or angry or just generally frustrated i write in my notebook every thought and feeling im having, i try to understand them through writing and sometimes it works its as if im writing the thoughts out of my head and onto paper, i can then look back when i have a "clear head" and try to understand some of my thoughts. I write every time i feel down but havent gotten into the habbit of writing when im having a good day (mostly because theyre not that often) 

I do have to admit i'am alot better mentally that where i was last year, i have self harmed on and off since i was 13, i have not done this for about 7 months now. I have never attempted suicide but the thoughts are always prominent when im having a low day. 

I think the problem i have is im terrified to talk to people about this, i get very frustrated that i can't just snap out of it, and feel as though people think the same way, so i don't tell people when im feeling low or when i feel like hurting myself. I would much hide away those feeling and try to fix them myself and nobody know. 

I just don't want to feel alone and that i'm just crazy! I'm not alone though i have loving friends family and boyfriend, but if you have depression you know how selfish it can be, it makes you feel so very alone and that nobody can help. I sit awake at night crying asking myself over and over again whats the point?

I don't have a bad life i have lots of things to be grateful for but whats the point? There are thousands of people out there who are going to live the exact same life im set out to live. Get a job, get married, have kids, have a pretty house and car, over and over and over. Why do i need to add to that number? I don't make a difference to the world its just a waiting game until we all go anyway so why put myself through this pain until then?

I'm sorry for my rambling thoughts and i hope one person made it through all that haha. It would just be nice to know that someone else feels the same and im not alone in this struggle. 

3 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am new here. Suffered on and off with depression for last 30 yrs. I fully understand how you feel. If there is one piece of advise I could give you is that, be very open and honest about the illness, don't feel shamed.
  • Posted

You are very brave to write such a long & pleading post. Yes, I did read it all, I saw myself in a lot of what you said. The bad days, the few good days, I feel I would be better off if I didn't have the good days, they only seve to show me how good they feel, show me what life could be like. Then I have it snatched away from me the next day, waking up expecting the same good feelings, only to find I am plunged back into the dark again & on it goes. I have probably had depression for many years, but only saw my GP about it 9yrs ago & started taking AD's then. I have other physical problems too, which don't help.

In spite of the dark mood of this post, I try always to keep my mind ocupied, writing is a great therapy, write about anything, it needn't be your problem. Write short stories about things you like. I joined a creative writing class for 3 months & did a lot of writing, poetry etc. It helped a great deal. I have now taken up a hobby, photography & it has been one of the best things I have ever done. I still have many very low days, I just have nice things to do when the good days do come along.

You are certainly NOT alone. We are all in this together.

As a side note; I have made 2 very good e-mail friends on here, we e-mail every day & it has been a lifeline for me. You take good care now, my young friend, don't be afraid to put how you feel into words. [As you can no doubt see, I don't have any problem doing this lol.]

• Posted

Hi

I totally agree with Lee34449 sharing things with like minded people certainly helps. Don't keep things bottled up and whilst it seems easy when people say keep your mind busy it really does help as when you have time on your hands it brings all the negative thoughts to the front.

On this site you can certainly share your feelings and thoughts knowing that all the people reading them are suffering the same as you so no-one will judge.

Please keep talking to us and take very good care of yourself.

Sandie

• Posted

hi I have read through your story and I am very sorry that you feel like life is a struggle, but I am one of those who struggle through everyday I have had depression and anixety for over 30years and have been treated by many psychiatrist and have been admited to hospital too, life is strange, yes we do see that we get a job we then have a boyfriend/girlfriend, we get married get a house have 1.2 children etc etc  but even when we go through all of those things at the end of the day if you are not happy then get out, I feel I struggle to keep going I have told them as well, and they know I have tried sucide alot, but some how I am still here, in the dark, with the pain, and dont think it will ever end, I believe your days are numbered from the day you are born, and I think my sucide attempts was really bad and it has been touch and go but my number is not up yet.

Im not sure if I am helping you or just telling you my story, but I hope in some ways that it has helped so that you see that there are many of us out there who are like you, and yes we dont want to tell everyone and be treated differently but it is hard, its really hard to put on a brave face and a fake smile, but some how we do just to survie that horrible 10 mins or so. I find it hard to walk out of my door so I tend to stay at home most of the time, and yes its lonely and its not heathy either but that is what I do.  I really hope you can get something out of your discussion and feel alittle better inside to relize that you are not the only one who is like you there are hundreds like you and we all do a little bit.  I wish you all the good luck and hope things turn out better in your life than mine.

• Posted

You are not alone for what you feel, I know what you mean about not having a bad life but still feeling like there seems no point to your particular existence. I too have very dark thoughts about the futility of my life, despite the fact I have a very loving home life, I am on the right medication, my Doctor is easy to talk too and so on. None of this makes a single bit of difference to my lows, to the sense of utter futility I feel.I too am very wary of talking to anyone about my thoughts and get so frustrated with myself fo these feelings. I too have learned to write stuff down, but in spite of this I am really finding living wearying and empty right now. Thank you for sharing your story, it does help to hear that someone else feels what I do. Karen
  • Posted

Sorry how you feel your not alone. Iv really bad postnatal depression and it's hell on earth. I increased to 150mg a week ago and past few days my head is banging. Pressure is my ears which really hurts. So tired my eyes strain. Do I wait this out?? Seems never ending and iv three young children to care for. The tears have slowed down but that's all iv noticed. So spaced out.
    • Posted

hi Rachel, please dont feel you are on your own as you are not as you see from here, its sad that you have bad postnatal depression Im sure its hard with a young baby wanting you all the time especially with the other 2, What meds are you taking, you said they have put it up and the feelings you have now could be a side effect of your meds going up, I know alot of meds make you feel space out and you feel and talk but you dont feel you are in the same room as everyone else, I know that is how I have felt on some meds. Please keep writing on here and you will get support alot of us understand what you are going through depression is bad enough but with a young baby it must be so much worse as you have to think of the baby and also the gp who put you on the tablets would take this into consideration on what meds he can give you. thinking of you
    • Posted

Thank you. I see home treatment team so under a mental health Dr. Sertraline since March but don't seem to be getting anywhere although they tell me recovery is a long bumpy road. Iv been on the 150mg 10 days. I get that bubble feeling from my depression so I'm unsure what's causing it . I just feel like I'm inside myself if that makes sense. I feel a nothingness just a dark cloud I'm lost in. I keep hearing about meds kicking in and recovering after a few weeks and that's not my case it all. They help a bit.
    • Posted

hi Rachel, I am on sertraline, it seems to be the new latest drug!!! yes it is weird and the side effects are normal, but I thought it wasnt working at all and I had been on them for about 2 months, then I saw my psychiatrist again and said please take them off me, they are not doing anything for me, and he just said keep taking them they will help but it takes time, and now 4 months on I have come out of that dark tunnel and into a small light, I still have really bad days that I cant cope with anything or anyone so that s when I have a duvet day like this sunday I just felt awful as if I was back to square onem but today I am a bit better and have done some washing and put it on the line, that is good for me, but I still havent been out in the wild world yet, I dont feel confident enough and I know I have to pick up my meds today, but sometimes its hard to even drive about a mile up the road, I have petrified I will have a accident and kill someone else and I will be ok, whereas I want it the other way round if it happens so I wont drive far.  I dont know why people say there meds have kicked in and they are recovered just like that in a few weeks, the only thing I think is that they had a very mild dose of depression whereas we know when its a severe case it dont go away just like that, and i have asked so many times for the wonder drug that will make me feel better and they say they cant give me a magic cure but I have to help myself as much as they can help us, sorry Im not sure if I am making sense, but I hope you read this and think ah right, yes i feel some of it and yes like you said its a bumpy road and who knowes how long it will take but we have to help ourselves as well (I cant believe I just wrote that as I never say it!!!!!) thanks for giving me a new picture in what I have to do
    • Posted

Sorry ur suffering. Do u have a partner at home for support? I have a good life and no reason to have this at all. Maybe the meds help coz I function more but I don't live. It takes a lot for me to do little things as I feel overwhelmed by it all as my head spins. I feel like my mood isn't too bad but I feel foggy and dizzy and well crap ! Iv asked about changing meds but they say as I had two good weeks a bit back it means the meds are helping even if iv not stopped well. It seems so bright and scary outside sad
    • Posted

P's what dose are you taking x
    • Posted

yes I have a hubby, who is very supportive but at time I hit all the buttons and he cant cope with that, its really horrible when he goes into these moods but I cant say he is bad because he is briliant, he works full time in a high position so he is very stressed about work and have phone calls in the evening and never really switch off from work, but he allows me to do what I can and when I can, and if I havent hooved who cares, I know I do but hubby dont say anything, so like you I have a good life I have been lucky with support when my first husband and I got divorced my parents where briliant with me, and also before when I had to spend times in hospital they had my small daughter, and in someways they brought her up and I owe them alot, because without them my daughter may have been taken away or when we got divorced my ex did take me to court to say I was a unfit mum but the courts where brilliant and gave me my daughter to me and I had the say what she should do, it was agreat achivement but afterwards I of course couldnt cope and went down but my parents where there again and had my daughter, luckly we didnt live that far away from them, so when I first got home I could have time to get used to being back and then my daughter would join me, or sometimes I would stay at my Mums until I felt strong enough to go back to my home. Now I am married again and its good but it comes with baggage but then I also come with alot more baggage because of my depression and anxiety, I now have alot of problems with my physcial health so its just not easy.

Sorry I went of a bit there, yes it is bright and scary and I cant cope with  going out on my own, I tend to stay at home than rather go out on my own plus I dont know where I would go other than the gp's and chemist lol I have to drive there too, which makes it harder. you take care and carry on with the meds its frustrating but hopefully you will pick up abit but please dont stop the meds yourself, as it can be danagerous. take care Rachel.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear your story it sounds so hard. I gather you picked up again before u met your now husband? I had this after my son but recovery was quicker and it wasn't as bad for as long. I feel that after all this time I should be better then this. It started in October in my pregnancy. I just feel in fog and it all seems scary. I used to love going shopping etc now I hate it
    • Posted

thank you for your kind words, yes it has and still is hard and i was in a better place when I met hubby, but I told him everything before we got serious as I had to.  Unfortunatly depression or post natal depression do not have a clock so although you probably went through alot when you where pregnant thinking of this sort of thing happening again I would have thought your gp would have put you on something low when you where pregnant, but stay strong and hopefully it will soon run its course and go away I really hope this happens as its not nice to have small children and not enjoying them like we all should. As for shopping its alot easier to do it on-line, at least then you can try on cloths in your own time and in your home, instead of a assistant watching over you, try and look at the good points of it all. take care
    • Posted

I was on prozec when pregnant but it came back when she was six weeks old. I'm concerned about my ears hurting like there is pressure in my head and I feeling falsely awake x
    • Posted

thats a strange feeling, what do your hubby say? is he concerned? do you have a (cant remember the name) but its not a & e, but its like a walk in centre (ah I got the name) that you can go to, tonight? I dont like the idea that you feel pressure in your head, for me I would wont to get it looked at, prehapes phoning 101 and talking to someone there and just ask what could be happening, it could be that your ears are blocked or you have a ear infection which is effecting your head, please try and get some advice
    • Posted

I had it when I increased last time though and the head feeling is my anxiety it's like been lightheaded and dizzy
    • Posted

i am relived that you have had the symptons before not that you have got them again, but at least you regonized it, where as to me reading your message I was really worried about you. I think prehapes a early night and try not to worry about tomorrow that comes anyway without us worrying what we are going to do, just try and relax and hope your head and ear clears.
    • Posted

It's on the side effect list. I always feel dizzy but this is like a wushing I hope it settles soon. I'm going to have side effects though as nearly on the max dose. Just want my life back for my children's sake
    • Posted

hi Rachel, how did you get on last night, did you get any sleep? I hope for your sack that you soon feel less anxiety and enjoy your children, they grow up so fast, make the most of them when they are little.  I never really saw my own daughter grow up as I was in hospital so many times, but it wasnt until my daughter got married and had her 1st baby when I relized how much I had missed of my daughter growing up, I saw more of my grandchildren growing up and now in full time school. So please even if you are feeling anxious try and put a front on for your children, and play with them as much as you can, I am not saying its easy because its not, and it wasnt easy for me with my grandchildren, but you have to enjoy them and hope you can remember as much as possible, take photo's of them and then at least you can look back and see what they where doing when they where 3 or what ever, I wish you luck and try and keep calm and enjoy your children,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.