Understanding Lab results

Posted , 4 users are following.

My TSH is 1.42 ~range is (0.34 - 4.82 uIU/mL)

Free T4 is 0.98 ng/dL ~rangie is (0.59 - 1.61 ng/dL)

I have been losing a lot hair for over a year now and I have other sympotoms as well. However Im always told my labs are normal and everything is ok. I am a 28 yearold female.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Some other test I had done recently as well ill add

Thyroid Perox AutoAb 11 IU/mL (range is <35 IU/mL)

• Posted

Have you checked your ferritin levels and B12?
  • Posted

Hi Ang, your TSH is good, as it is well below 2. People usually feel best when TSH is around 1, and if it gets up around or above 2 can indicate a problem.

Your T4 is in the low half of normal, which could indicate a thyroid problem.  What is your T3 and reverse T3 (rT3)?

I've read that heavy metal toxicity, (mercury, etc), can cause an increase in rT3. Which can lower your T3 function.

in addition, thyroid disease is autoimmune disease, so it's your body attacking your own tissue. There are antibody tests you can do, but they have a 50% false nengativie, and even if they're positive, it isn't necessarily proportional to the level of disease. People with a mild thyroid condition can show positive for antibodies and people with advanced thyroid disease don't really show a higher rate of positives for the antibody tests. 

Some me people get a diagnosis with an ultrasound because it shows whether there are cysts on the thyroid that indicate autoimmune disease.

Due to the fact that you have many symptoms, as well a slowish T4, you might want to see an endocrinologist.

• Posted

Hi ang55, did you have FT3 done? FT4 has to be converted by the body into FT3 so the body can use it. Are you taking any thyroid medication? I have often read that TSH needs to be below 1 for treated hypo patients to feel well. It's not all about the blood results but should be about how patients feel as well, though Drs seem not to take this into account. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.