Undiagnosed for a year - nausea ruining my life

Posted , 3 users are following.

20/F. I thought I had acid reflux for several years, and had heartburn and sometimes nausea. I had a few bad bouts of it that I passed off as food poisoning. Then one day last October I had a bad bout, and then a second bad bout happened. During these bad bouts I get pain about 2 inches below my breastbone, nausea, I spit up, and also have pain under my right rib. I cannot eat fatty foods anymore. If it has more than 5 grams of fat in it I get sick after eating it. I get nauseous about 15 to 30 minutes after eating. I get nauseous every single night too.

I have had a normal endoscopy, blood tests, gastic emptying test, MRCP, and head CT scan. They found gallbladder sludge on my ultrasound, but I had a normal HIDA scan at 63% EF.

The nausea is so bad I have to take Phenergen every night just so I can function at all. I had to postpose taking college classes, cut my work hours, and quit working out/playing sports because I'm just too nauseous. Could it still be my gallbladder, or what? Doctors seem to think it's stress, but I was so happy before I got sick and I have a low stress job, good friends, and good opportunities in life.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Stress may be a factor if you are not getting answers.  I had problems with fatty foods when my reflux started years ago.  The oil would lie in my stomach and make me feel sick.  I don't get this so much now. It is only with salami and spicy, fatty italian and french sausage that will make me vomit.  Sometimes, chips from takeaway shops have the same effect if they are cooked with lard.

Did the doctors do anything about the gallbladder sludge?  If it is still there it may be causing the problems.

• Posted

Doctors didn't do anything about the sludge.

I know stress makes it worse, but it's not the source of the issue. I can get sick in the middle of the day when I'm doing something I enjoy. Relaxing can make it worse sometimes.

• Posted

Ask your doctor for a PPI medication such as omeprazole.  Avoid fatty, greasy and spicy foods. Ask the doctor about the sludge and if it could be causing your symptoms and should be removed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.