Undiagnosed going on 4 months now

Posted , 4 users are following.

I apologize beforehand if what I'm about to say is a little all over this place. I am SO foggy.

I guess I'll start by saying that all of my symptoms started so randomly. They began upon waking up one day in December (right before Christmas). I woke up feeling very tired, a little dizzy, really lightheaded, and my stomach was in shambles.

These are the symptoms I have experienced since then.

- Fatigue

- Tingling hands and feet (mostly feet)

-weight loss

- Extreme anxiety

- Extreme depression

- nausea

- stomach bloating, cramping, and pain

- Swelling in the general thyroid area. The swelling has been going up and down and is a more recent, newer symptom. The swelling is the worst on my trachea and sometimes spreads outwards from there. My Adam's apple is protruding further and the cartilage around it feels swollen as well

- difficulty swelling

- Shortness of breath

- incessant racing thoughts

- Some days I have none and muscle pain

- joint pain

- Intolerance to milk and sometimes bread and peanuts

- Constant sinus problems (diagnosed sinusitis as of a month ago)

- Headaches

- ****** BRAIN FOG *******

- Blurred vision which has gotten worse. I went to an eye doctor who told me I had an astigmatism in both eyes. Could it be that thyroid can cause this somehow? May have had it for longer but couldn't tell I'm not sure.

- Feeling of going insane all day. Literally, I feel like I am going INSANE

- Started out as diahrea for the first month or two and has become constipation. Sometimes still diahrea but I rarely ever have a normal bowel movement anymore

- heartburn

- Craziest stomach noises I have ever heard

- Constant ringing in ears

- insomnia

- Frequent urination (I pee 10-15 times a day which is not my normal at all)

- Some days I get very dizzy and lightheaded after eating

- Sometimes slurred speech

- Difficulty concentrating

- Agitation

-Weight loss

- sensitivity to cold

- constant cold sweats

- shaking and head bobbing

- what looks like bumps on the sides of my tongue

- grains in fingernails

- Complete failure to thrive

I find it important to mention the following

- I am a 23 year old male

- When I was 9 years old a blood test showed my tsh levels came back hyper ONCE. Was written off as lab error

- I have always had the finest hair out of everyone I've ever known

- according to weight charts I have been severely underweight my whole life even though before this happened I've always eaten like an animal (I am 5'7", 113 lbs currently.

- I have dealt with incredible amounts of anxietyand depression for a very long time

- I suffered a severe brain injury/ brain bleed when I was 16 from an accident

- Negative for Chrons, Celiac, and h.pylori

- My aunt and mother have thyroid issues and my grandfather has Celiac (History of auto immune disorders, I suppose)

I have had 2 blood tests which have both come back with normal tsh levels. I haven't had one since January though so I'm going to take another one soon. I read that tsh is a bad test and very inaccurate test and that you can have normal tsh and still have thyroid disorder.

Can't get an apt with an endo for 3 months sad

I guess I'm just looking for some clarification.... My mother has been the opposite of helpful through all of this. She just thinks I'm anxious and depressed and tells me to get over it. I'm having a very hard time....

Once again I'm so sorry if this is all over the place. Reading over it, it sounds like it was written by a 5th grader and yet I can not correct it. I'm so foggy.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh and one more thing ... I tend to feel better at night. Sometimes I almost feel normal it's very weird and I don't understand it.
  • Posted

It sounds awful what you're going through. I have just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and I know I have had my symptoms for at least five years but I was on mirtazapine (an antii depressant) which masked the symptoms. I did have a thyroid test a year ago and nothing was said about it so it was either normal or written off as an error. Most of your symptoms are indicative of hyperthyroidism but could also be other things. Vitamin B12 deficiency is one of them and a number of autoimmune diseases such as lupus and fibromyeralgia (sp). I hope that you can get some answers soon. Have you asked your GP to do a thyroid test (and include T4 and T3)? Also ask for a B12 test. This deficiency can cause most of the symptoms you describe and often goes hand in hand with hyperthyroidism. I was diagnosed with B12 deficiency 10 years ago and now have 12 weekly injections which helped me a great deal until my thyroid went wacko.
  • Posted

Hi Vincent

Sounds very much to me like Graves disease/Hyperthyroidism.  You have many of the symptoms I had before diagnosis 3 years ago (and some I still have as my medication hasn't been levelled out YET !!  In addition, you could also have an intolerance to dairy and gluten if you're having problems after having milk, bread and peanuts ?  Many patients with thyroid problems suggest a gluten free diet and say that they do feel better for it, doesn't work for everyone and as yet I haven't tried it.  

You need to see your GP and ask for tests for the thyroid function test including FT3 and FT4 and if they are willing (some GP's aren't) tests for the various vitamin and mineral deficencies, we Hyper patients lose these much faster because our bodies are working overtime (i.e. going to the loo more frequently).

I wish you well and do keep us posted !  It's not much consolation I know but please remember you are not alone.

Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.