Uneasy about a friend with sarcoidosis

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello friends,

I have a very dear friend aged 68 and she has had sarcoidosis for about ten years now. She has been unable to digest much food for the last few weeks and suffers a lot of nausea. Tonight she told me that she does not want any further treatment and wants to let the illness run its course, I have to respect her wishes but am just a little anxious that I need to be clear about her illness.

Do people die of sarcoidosis or am I panicking for nothing? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I should add that I have only just begun driving again after total hip replacement so I want to go to see this friend as soon as I am able.

I have this strange feeling that she may be entering the last stages of this illness.

• Posted

Hi Shirley

Yes. sarcoid can kill but this is very rare.

Your freind may well have other underlying conditions.

Not eating, may I suggest Sustagan chocolate hospital strength with milk either hot or cold.

At this stage of life prehaps what they need the most is the love and care from a good friend like yourself.

Which I am sure you are already giving.

I wish you both the very best.

Tangles

• Posted

Hi tangles

Thanks for the information

I will try to get her Sustagan but she insists she cannot digest anything fatty.I guess it may have spread to her stomach and intestines.

• Posted

Hi Again Shirley

Again I say "Your freind may well have other underlying conditions".

I am not aware of sarcoid effecting your stomach, others may prove me wrong.

But steriods as a treatment can effect the way you view your food.

Prehaps getting her to a GP for a general review of all of her medical ills may be a good thing.

Regards

Tangles

• Posted

You are quite right. She has a long-standing problem with severe depression.frown

At the moment she is saying she just wants to be left in peace, no hospitals, no doctors.

There is not a lot I can do.

Fortunately her sister lives close by and keeps an eye on her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.