Unexplained loss of vision. Help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I had cataract surgery in November of 2014. Until last summer, my eyesight had never been better....20/20

Suddenly, I began to notice vision loss in my left eye. Gradually, it decreased to 20/200 by December and now is at 20/400. My right eye has recently now begun to slip, too, and has gone from 20/40 in December to 20/80 today.

My neuro ophthamalogist has done countless tests and has yet to come up with a diagnosis. She states that my lenses look great, placement is fantastic, etc. I have also had an MRI that shows all is well in neuro and vascular sense.  I'm obviously scared about living the rest of my life (I'm 56) with poor vision. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,well,have you gone to an opthomologist that didnt do the surgery? If no,do so,I doubt doctors want to admit they didnt do something right,not that thats the case,but you never know. Anyway,you need other opinions anyway. Must be very unnerveing,I hope you find the caus,keep us posted.Xx
    • Posted

Yes, we are going to the best neuro ophthamologist in our city. She's extremely thorough and again, has performed numerous tests, from blood work to MRI's to chest X-rays. In all regards, the tests yield no clues as to what is going on. I am constantly told that my eyes are very healthy, the retinas are fine, the corneas unchanged, the optic nerves perfect.

She did not perform the surgery for cataracts.

The interocular lenses are said to be perfectly placed and not warped in any way. No cloudiness, etc. All doctors who have seen me have stated that they'd be reluctant to explant the multifocal lenses and either implant new ones or go to monofocal instead. And yet, I have to wonder if somehow, these lenses have internally degraded. I have to wonder if somehow, my eyes have changed however subtly in a way that have compromised my eyesight.  Researching the idea of interocular lenses going bad produces the idea that it is rare and that explanting what one has for new ones is a bit tricky, but with all tests showing my eyes to be extremely health and my overall health to be good, I am at a loss to understand what else it could be.

again, thanks for your thoughts.

• Posted

I wish you nothing but the best please keep us posted. Xx
  • Posted

Hi ed80559: My sister having the same problem after her cataract surgery the doctor said she start having fluid build up behind her right eye and they do not know where came from. he started to give her injections for about 2 years now. and still not very good. when the doctor make a mitakes the other doctors they try to cover up for each other. I would advice you to go to diffrent doctor I do not know where you are living may be will be a good idea to go to another doctor outside your home town to get better idea what is going on, and see if they will solve your problem before its too late. do not delay it for too long. I wish you all the best and let me know if I can of any help.
    • Posted

I agree,i think sometimes docs in the same hospital cover for each other

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.