Unilateral conjunctivitis for 3 months

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have an unilateral palpebral conjunctivitis for the past 3 months now. The bottom eyelid is also rly swollen and red. My eyeball itself isn’t really red though. Discharge is minimal, if I even have it? No tearing, but eye feels kinda dry sometimes

My doctor ordered a lab test which suggests it’s a Staph infection, but the prescribed fusithalmic acid I’ve been using for the past 2 weeks haven’t done anything. I was also given hydrocortisone to use on my bottom eyelid when the swelling is really bad but I try to avoid it

Any ideas what this could be? some super strain of Staph that’s resistant to fucithalmic, or is it something else? I just think it’s weird it hasn’t spread to the other eye…

Thanks! 

PS I tested negative for HIV, HPV, Hep B, chlamydia & gonnorrhea a week ago. They didn’t sample my eye though.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Is the doctor you are seeing, your GP or an Ophthalmologist?  You should probably be seeing an Ophthalmologist.

Have you been back to the doctor and told him that the Fucithalmic doesn't appear to be working?  Perhaps you need the steroid drops too.  They tend to give you a course, rather than using it when necessary and Ophthalmologists prescribe them.

Hydrocortisone is another name for corticosteroid, [steroid]

https://patient.info/medicine/fusidic-acid-eye-drops-fucithalmic

• Posted

Just my GP, she seemed sure the fucithalmic would work but I'm assuming she'll refer me to an ophtalmologist when I make a new appointment. I was gonna do it today but I overslept so I will tomorrow

yeah, the hydrocortisone was the first thing I was prescribed to get rid of the redness. it was before we "found out" it was caused by Staph

I'm just....so frustrated...

• Posted

Do you have walk in Eye Clinics where you live?  That might be an idea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.