Unintentional weight loss

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have lost over a stone in weight since the beginning of the year though not intentionally

I have had every blood test under the sun, chest x-ray, CT scan but nothing is showing up

I have never been overweight, weighing just over 9 stone, but now I am 8st 2lb and seem to be losing around 1 lb a month. My clothes are hanging off me

I don't feel ill , have no pains, lumps , nothing

My consultant is baffled I think, and told me it could just be as I am getting older ( I am 64 ) as all my tests are negative

For some people I am sure this would be wonderful but I am on the slight side to start with and now I feel haggard

My eating habits have not changed, I love food

Has anyone else been through this or going through this ?

I have only heard of a freind of a sister's friend !! going through the same thing

I am frightened of going below 8 stone

All comments most welcome

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, its been ten days since i put my partner on a high calorie diet (Peanut butter etc, eggs, bacon etc), we also went to the hospital  the doc thought he may have a stomach virus or diverticulitis, so gave him antibiotics (metronidazole). Can not beleive it he has in 10 DAYS PUT ON A STONE AND A HALF ! every day he is gaining more he looks better and feels better, still early days and still waiting on tests. Hope this help someone out there 
  • Posted

Just to add doctor could not find any thing wrong in blood or test so far.My partner lost 2 half stone in one month, he was wasting away. Keep on at the doctor or find another like we did,even though his favorite doctor was nice, think he thought the stroke was causing the problems and dismissed any thing that did not show up in tests.    
    • Posted

How is your husband doing now? Did you ever find out what it was?
  • Posted

Hi babsc52

He has now gone from 11st to 14st after diet change and antibiotics. I think more due to the antibiotic, saying that he still feels dreadful we have had his thyroid checked and he had a needle test in it, that has came back fine. Waiting for a hormone test to come back now. Blood test ok. Every day he has some thing new but mostly he has stomach ache, mouth sores and consipation. He has now started antidepressant for his stomach to help with the discomfort haven't worked so far .  So we are happy for being were we are but all is still not right. How are you getting on ?

• Posted

Hi sorry it's only now I noticed you had replied, it's my 17 yo son that lost stone and half just in 4 months, and can't gain any no matter what. He had very low range b12 and folate deficiency but they said thyroid was fine, had quite a lot of tests done. I don't know what's going on. Did your husband's hormone results come back ok?

• Posted

B12 was 172 had second test went up to about 250 so they said that was ok, still waiting  for hormone result but i guess it will be ok as they have not got in touch,they said appiontment in 3 months its been about 2 months at the moment. Hormone in blood was ok and just low sodium. Hope you get some answers soon x  
    • Posted

His was very low did he have injections or take supplements to get it up to 250? Thanks and you xx
    • Posted

No just green veg maybe did it. My daughter has to have injections every three months though as she has Pernicious Anemia where her body just does not absorb B12 and can be down to 30 at times, which is very dangerous without injections it can life threating. How low was your sons x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.