Untreated Kidney Stones - Worrying symptoms

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am actually posting for my mum. She is diabetic and last August started suffering from severe pain in her side. She ended up in hospital twice in December and January due to the nausea that came on suddenly. The consultant in the ICU sent her for a full body scan and they discovered she has kidney stones and gallbladder polyps...then she was sent home.

I have had her back at the GP who has referred her to a Urologist but it can take MONTHS for an appointment (which worries me as she already has decreased kidney function due to the diabetes).

The reason for this post is that this week her pain got worse, she has started having pain in her armpit, she has been struggling to catch her breath when out walking as the pain is so bad in her chest, she has been having pain in her foot (which she thinks feels sort of like cramps) and, most worryingly, she is constantly cold and tired. I called NHS 24 who said to get a doctors appointment but the next doctors appointment is the middle of next month.

Has anyone experienced this? Should I phone the Dr first thing on Monday and pester them for an appointment? My mum does not like to make a fuss so won't let me take her to the hospital but I am worried.

We have had no help with her Kidney stones and we have no clue what is normal in terms of them. She has had constant pain for 8 months but she seems to be developing more symptoms.

Any help/advice would be fantastic.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Would suggest taking her to A&E.

If they turn her away, then you should kick up a fuss.

Likelihood, is that you'll get to see a doctor for reassurance or treatment.

Check the painkillers she is taking and maybe speak to a pharmacist to try to get something strong. I was offered 3 different painkillers and told I could take all 3 if the pain was bad. Paracetamol doesn't cut it so try to get something better.

If A&E don't help or if she doesn't want to go there, and if you are in the UK, see about turning up at the surgery in person at 8.30 am (might be different time for you) and ask to be seen that same day. Ringing up for an appointment can be a problem but going there as soon as they open should get you some action.

Good luck.

• Posted

Oh, and see if there is an NHS Walk-in Centre in your area that you can visit, (every day of the week including Sat and Sun).
  • Posted

She should have an NSAID (best) to releive this sort of pain (unless a good reason not to! May be the case with kidney issues), and an alpha blocker to reduce the renal colic.(I find it best of all, but not eveyone does) Othe pain killers as necessary, I have other chronic pain and get strong opiates for that and even they don't ease renal colic that well :-(.

Drink LOTS of water, it might not seem like it but it DOES help (I have stones BOTH sides at present myself!) The Gall bladder polyps won't be dealt with by a Urologist so make sure she is seen also by a surgeon who deals with them (which type depends on the hospital!). They can cause pain too.. so the worst may be from either the stones or the gall bladder issues - shoulder pain sounds a bit more like that, especially on right side, but it's impossible to be certain.

If she is in SO much pain, A&E or at the least visit her own GP as an urgent matter. Only your GP can push and really hurry them along! If they think it is trivial it will be treated as trivial.

Mind you, getting rid of the stones is no joy either! (Surgery or Lithotripsy), however don't let them tell you they are trivial, as they also increase risk of developing kidney failure by about 60%, however that tends to not get widely referred to, and they are usuall seen as painful but harmless - they are NOT. (If you do a search for "kidney stones increase risk of Chronic Kidney Disease" you an easily find references to plenty of serious studies that confirm that) You might even get fobbed off by the suggestion that Gall bladder polyps are all painless too. 

If she stops passing urine (as happened to me for some hours one one occasion) definitely go to A&E urgently - that pain is excruciating, so you will know as she certainly won't MIND you making a fuss! It makes all other pain seem trivial ( I have chronic pain, I know about pain - and my scale of 1 to 10 went right off the end up to 15 with that)

Everything Urological is painful, Urologists don't seem to get too worked up about it, sadly, maybe they just get so used to hearing about and causing pain from their procedures, so don't expect them to be falling over themselves to relieve it, plus there are massive numbers getting treatment and you get treated like cattle going to slaughter,  (no nice one to one consideration, just big queues and the medical equivalent of a beating with a baseball bat as an end result) but if it is bad enough, she will be on board to get something done, sooner rather than later!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.