Untreated UTI?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello guys, 

I've been feeling symptoms of UTI for about a year now, such as frequent urination, bladder still feel full right after urinating and there's one time i feel burning sensation while peeing. I've never gone to the doctor for it so I've never taken any antibiotic. Finally, after a year full of annoying symptoms, I did urinalysis and my white blood cell count shows that I have 45. Normal range is under 10. Leucocytes are also positive and I have moderate epithelial cell count. I also recently felt quite sick with headache and feeling nauseos (feels like I'm having motion sickness even though I'm not moving). And I noticed I have feelings like menstrual cramp in my abdomen and right side of my lower back. I'm worried it has spread to my kidneys because I left it untreated for so long, but I'm not sure sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Get to the doctor... get antibiotics NOW! It is dangerous to leave a UTI untreated! I did this for a couple of months and it hit my kidneys, I was lucky I got on the Cephalexin to knock it out and it didn't get worse.

Your body is telling you that you're sick, and you've been sick for quite some time. Did the urinalysis tell you if you had any bacteria present? Such as E-Coli? (The primary cause of most UTI's)

The unfortunate thing about leaving this for a long time is IF there IS bacteria present, you've given it plenty of time to grow/spread/colonise in your bladder, thus giving it a chance to embed itself in your bladder walls and form the dreaded biofilm, thus making it harder to eliminate.

Hopefully it hasn't reached this extent, but you really should get some antibiotic therapy asap.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the info Emma! I haven't set an appointment with my doctor yet. Definitely going to do that asap. Btw, did you get hospitalized for your kidney infection? I'm worried i might be hospitalized because i'm doing my internship right now and don't wanna be on medical leave for too long. sad

• Posted

Luckily no, I just went to my GP (I pretty much knew what it was, I had very similar symptoms to you) and he checked my urine (which was full of blood) and he gave me a script for two rounds of Cephalexin , and that ended up doing the trick . Didn't need to go to the hospital luckily. Unless you suspect you have sepsis (infection getting into the bloodstream, which it doesn't sound like you have luckily) I think just visiting the GP ASAP should be enough. But if you start to feel worse (like bad fever, dizzy etc) then maybe you might need to go to hospital just to be safe.

I'm surprised you've held out so well to fight this for a year and have it not progress into sepsis.

Seeing as you don't regularly take AB's, hopefully the bacteria should get wiped out. :-)

• Posted

Thank you so much. You helped me a lot on this. Definitely seeing the doctor very soon. Hope you stay healthy and have a nice day! :-)
  • Posted

Hi there,  To be really sure with these numbers is the culture to find out what bacteria is causing this.  Then you can get appropriately treated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.