Unusual Treatment For HS

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, both my sister and I have been dealing with this for some years now. Her obgyn told her to use the birth control for three months without stopping and see if it helped, but after a while it came back. However, I started using an unusual method but it has been very efficient! As soon as I notice the bump is beginning to come up, either because of the pain that is associated with it or whilst showering, I immediately apply Proactiv's refining mask on it and by the next day or two, the swelling is gone and it basically dries up!! My sister didn't believe me at first but she started trying it as well and agrees that it goes away within a day or two! After I put the refining mask on it, I cover the area with some cotton and medical tape (because I feel as though it gets worse when rubbing against my underwear) and I leave it on till I shower in the evening and then reapply. The only problem that I continue to face is the dark marks that it leaves!! 

However, I hope this helps and that it works for you!! smile 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for this. I will give this a try. Anything is worth trying smile
    • Posted

Definitely! Especially when making dietary changes might be hard, other options should be available like these. The proactiv refining masks are fairly cheap (about $10 U.S) - once you are able to buy it separately from the entire kit!
  • Posted

I'm just about to order it now! hope it works, someone suggested sulphur soap and it didnt make any difference sad I'll keep you updated on how I get a long smile
    • Posted

The proactiv refining mask is more like a cream, so idk if it works better because you leave it on all day so hopefully it works! Also, I was checking on Amazon and it says that the refining mask is out of stock so what's coming up is the proactiv+ skin purifying mask (which is $40 U.S. for 3 ounces) - it seems to be the same as the refining mask (Active ingredient - Sulfur 6%) but if possible, get the refining mask as this is what I used and idk anything about the proactiv+ haha

And yes, please keep me updated!

• Posted

I actually can't believe it but it works!!!!!!!!!! smile 

cost me £10 off ebay and did think it was going to be a pointless effort but I'm pleasantly surprised. Although mine took longer to 4-5 days to clear not one or two. 

the only downside is that I don't see this as a long term solution but it does allow me the time to try and work out my triggers without getting depressed about all my flare ups and makes dating easier, scar's are less scary to look at!

I am being referred for surgery to have my sweat glands removed as my HS only affects me in one small area and has never spread. 

Thank you so much for sharing this with me!

• Posted

Omg, I am so glad to hear it!! I know it's deffo not a cure but just as you said, it makes dating easier and lessens the worrying a bit.

Wow though, I didn't know that surgery was an option for this! I hope it goes smoothly and that you keep us up to date smile

• Posted

I think the biggest problem we face is that what works for some doesn't work for others or only works for a short time so we have to keep trying new things and thats why forums like this are really helpful.
    • Posted

Yeah, I've heard of people using so many things e.g. hibiclens and antibiotics but even when I used the antibiotics, it came back up within a month. Why I recommended the proactiv is because I've been using it for about 6 months - 1 year and it's helped a lot. Before this, when I just left the bump on its own, I'd have to deal with it for a week - pain and just pure discomfort. Now, it's pain for about a day and then dries up haha
  • Posted

Someone on this support group told me to by Prid.. it's called drawing the Prid or something like that and it has been a God send I can't imagine going one day without it. It helps drain and dry any absesses..
  • Posted

Hello, not to sound silly but some people on another hs forum said to try head and shoulders shampoo. I have yet to do it but who knows lol. Anything goes with HS smile
  • Posted

Hi, my wife suffers from hs in her groin and no medications have helped her. I wondered if you used this on open wounds? Or just the closed ones because hers are mainly open and won't close. Also I've been looking for the stuff and is it proactive solution refining mask?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.