Unwell for around 6 months now! Gastritis/Duodenitis/ other things

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey first post on any kind of website like this but thought i'd give it ago as everyone i know is pretty fed up of me talking about my problems! So how it started, around 6 months ago when i was 19 (now 20) i was just my usual healthy self until a got violently sick one day, thought nothing much of it until i started getting pain downstairs which went on for a month or two, now here is where the real problems started.

I started developing stomach and back pain pretty severe with a temperature etc, doctors thought it may be gastroenteritis gave me meds didnt help, then they treated me for a UTI and gave me meds, settled down, i had lost my appetite but i managed to gain it back, along with the stomach problems i started to get dry, irritated eyes, now i have been told only recently i have dry eyes and blepharitis, and around 2 months ago i started to get alot of burning back, shoulder, neck pain, muscle ache, fatigue, sore glands, lymph nodes, headaches, slight tremors, dizzyness you name it, the dry eyes are still there pretty bad but the others have eased slightly.

I was a avid footballer and havent been able to play in 6 months. I went for an endoscopy 3 weeks ago and i have been diagnosed with duodentis and gastritis, not caused by H Pylori, still waiting on my biopsies back they took but it's not really looking good for me. They have tested my blood for so much, like lupus, thyroid problems, deficiencies and can't find anything, they call me the medical mystery. I can't eat well at all the last few weeks, anything spicy, greasy, or acidic drinks burn my stomach, i've lost around 10lbs in the last 6 months and i'm only 9st 4lbs which is pretty skinny. Personally I am concerned about an autoimmune disease, hoping for celiac but i fear it could be worse.

People say it's probably caused by me being anxious but i know my body and i've tried to push on as much as normal but some things i just cant do anymore, so if anyone could offer advice that would be great smile

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Riggs, 

Sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time. It's sounds like your symptoms are really bad and interfering with your quality of life quite a bit. 

I have had IBS for about 7 years and here is a list of things that I find help: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/7-years-of-experience-advice-for-ibs-sufferers-270455. I hope some of these can help you. 

In the meantime, I hope you get a manageable diagnosis soon and that you are able to move on from there and find effective treatment. 

Hope you feel much better as soon as possible, 

Agirl xx

• Posted

Thanks smile I'll try some of the things you suggested, also sorry to hear you have been suffering for 7 years, pretty long time rolleyes Sounds like you are coping pretty well though, so i wish you all the best smile
    • Posted

Thanks Riggs, yes I definitely feel like I have the hang of managing it now! 

I hope you find some of  my tips work for you!! 

Agirl xx

• Posted

Hi

I have been struggling for over a month with constant sick feeling, alternate constipation and diahorea, i can hardly eat or drink. Dr thinks its Gastritis and i am booked for a camera on sunday. I am on omeprezol and ranitidine and domperidone but they dont have any affect. I am completely fed up and dont think i can put up with this for much longer. Having suicidal thoughts and bad anxiety. Will this ever go away or get better?!

• Posted

Hey, i know exactly how you feel, completely fed up too, I used to be able to eat like a horse but now even though i still feel hungry i just cant eat without pain, annoying too that exercise is meant to help ease symptoms but i've been struggling with all over muscle and joint pain for 3 months rolleyes I know it can be really overwhelming, i mean i constantly think to myself i'm only 20 and 6 months ago i was fit with no health problems running around a football pitch. 

I do like yourself have constant thoughts that are negative not suicidal i would say but i am definitely in a dull place at the moment, i cried a couple a days ago for the first time in 15 years as it was all getting a bit too much. But then the next day i was out with my friends laughing and joking, sure i was in pain but keeping busy definitely takes my mind off it for a while. Everyday i think to myself will i ever get back to my normal self 100% and it does seem far away at the moment but who knows, things like this won't get better over night, just gotta stay strong. We have our good and bad days of course but no matter what happens the doctors will find out what the problem is eventually and give you ways to get better.

If the tablets the doctors have prescribed arent working then tell them, maybe it's best to stop taking them. I was giving Omeprezol, Esomeprezol and other things, they gave me these things incase i had a stomach ulcer which i now found i havent, so if they havent worked so far its unlikely they will. I think dietry changes will play a big part, believe me i know its annoying, I was a healthy guy but i loved my KFC and chocolate. But making sure you limit the flare ups is key, so talk to your doctor about what would be easy on your stomach, it may reduce any irritation in your gut if you cut out the bad stuff, it may only be temporary but it is important.

Finally if you are ever feeling down just take a minute to yourself to reflect, try to spend time with the people who you are closest to and lastly make sure you talk to people when you feel down, I've found out keeping things bottled up can make things worse, talk to friends, family and the people on this are really helpful as there are many people who are in the same situation who can offer great advice and support!

Sorry for the big essay but just try to stay positive and keep us all updated! smile

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. 

I am trying to get back into work which is helping and staying busy. I have been trying my best to eat and when i do its bland foods. Im trying to stay positive and my family and friends are amazing but it helps to be able to talk to people who know what im going through. 

I am off the meds for the camera and i have actually noticed that i havent taken them so maybe they are working (which is a slight relief)

Will update after the camera and results.

Thank you again.

• Posted

I had my endoscopy and it was clear, took biopsies and im clear for h.pylori. The dr who performed it mentioned gallbladder so I had a scan and there were no stones. I am now waiting for a consultant appointment and going to get a scan to check gallbladder function.

Im very fed up! Im glad everything was clear but still have no answers! This has been life changing for the past 2 months. I dont see a light at the end of the tunnel.

sad

• Posted

Hi Chloe,

I have had similar symptoms to you for over 3 months now. I was wondering did you find out what was causing it and are you better now? (i hope you are!). 

My life has been changed by this constant nausea and I can't live my life normally sad

• Posted

I have been diagnosed with the same condition. Can I ask how are you feeling now ?
  • Posted

My husband is going through very same thing he's lost 2.5 stone since Christmas! Had camera didn't which showed mild bulbar! The gps don't seem to take how unwell he feels serious and just perscribes lanzoperaxole again
    • Posted

Hi Lindsay 

How is your husband now? Fud he ever find out what was wrong? 

• Posted

first of all I'd like to say I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. I myself went through the exact same thing and as of yesterday got all the answers I needed.

Years, now I've had all the same symptoms you have. I eliminated gluten from my diet approximately 30 years ago.. I still have been getting unexplained rib pain which is generally just a level 2. Over the last 6 months I have been experiencing terrible perimenopausal issues and proceeded to put myself on a regiment to help get through it. That being mostly consistent to vitamins. Have your doctor test you for a gluten allergy. The only way to be sure is biopsy. Since I have been on these vitamins which are supposedly gluten free I've been having a level 9 pain. They thought I had a leak in my intestine due to all the erosions they have found before. There were even more than anticipated by process of elimination my doctor said to get off all the vitamins because they are probably labeled gluten-free when indeed they are not. I now have to go to all natural health food store to guarantee what I'm getting. ....best wishes & I hope you find the answers

• Posted

I suffer with erosion of the stomach and duodenitus...i was wondering how are the vitamins you take now? has the pain decreased when you taken them?

cheers kirk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.