Upcoming bilateral ureteroscopy w/ Stents

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 3 weeks ago it was discovered that I have dozens of stones in both kidneys and am miserable. It is my first experience with stones. I have been unable to pass any stones despite my following the doctor's instructions. On Tuesday, he is going to do bilateral ureteroscopy to remove all of the stones and is going to use stents. I am very scared and nervous. I can't seem to find any information about recovery after having surgery on both kidneys. Have any of you had this procedure done? How painful was recovery? How long did it take to return to regular activities.  

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

No worries, don't be afraid.  The doctor knows what he is doing and he will get all those stones out of your kidneys since they are too large for you to pass.  You will feel better almost immediately when you wake up from your surgery and you will be able to return to your regular activities, but just don't over do it.  Take it easy for a couple days.  Chin up girl!!

• Posted

I have a  large stone.

I am going for CT scan on Wednesday.

Hopefully after that I will see the consultant and he will remove the kidney stone.

You are obviously ahead of me so please let me know how things progress.

Thinking of you.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Sarah it doesn't matter whether the stone is very small or large, if the doctor is doing a CT scan it will show the size of the stones and since he will go in to remove them he will remove all of them no matter the size.  You will be fine after surgery and will just need to take it easy for a couple days, but you should be "pain free" then.  I did not have to get my removed because they were small enough that I passed them instead.  I don't even know the day that I passed them, all I know is they were 5 of them and now they are gone. I still have pain in my lower back but it is due to the 3 failed back surgeries I had in the last 4 years and nothing to do with my kidneys.  I have to see a back doctor yet.  So don't worry about your surgery.

• Posted

Thanks. Fortunately I am not a worrier just curious really.

Glad you've managed to get rid of yours and hope that will be my story soon.

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

Tomorrow is surgery day. Sarah87162, I'll let you know how it goes. Good luck with your scan!

• Posted

I had surgery 3 days ago. I was hospitalized for 2 nights because my blood pressure was dangerously low and because the pain pills that were ineffective. The worst part is that my doctor was only able to remove 10 of my 35+ stones. He got 4 on one side and 6 on the other. I think he said that those stones were embedded in the kidney walls and the risk outweighed the reward. (I was on morphine when he talked to me so that conversation is a big blur...)

Anyway, I'm on day 3 and the pain is improving with rotating between oxycodone and hydromorphone in addition to stuff for cramping and stuff.

• Posted

What mg are you on with hydrocodone?  I myself am on 10 mg.  If you are taking 10 mg PLUS  Hydromorphone to me sounds like you are overdosing on codein (morphine).  If you start having short term memory loss, the shakes, itching, stomach sickness, dizziness, headache, you better call your doctor immediately.  When I had my back surgery I was on 20 mg Hydrocodone and I was so dizzy I didn't know whether I was coming or going!  I had to get it reduced because I was even falling asleep at the drop of the hat not realizing it.I am glad you got a few of the stones and good luck passing the others and I will keep you in my prayers.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. My doc said to rotate between the 5mg Oxycodone and 2mg of Hydromorphone every 4 hours (e.x. 10am oxy; 2pm Hydromorphone; 6am oxy, etc) and then to space the dosages out for longer periods and then to completely eliminate the Hydromorphone after 2-3 days.

He said that Hydromorphone's brand name is Dilaudid, which is not morphine, but it is derived from morphine, and it doesn't have Tylenol in it, but Oxycodone does. The doctor tried a couple different medications and dosing schedules while I was in the hospital for those couple days and this was the most effective combination.

I do feel a little itchy but anesthesia has always had that effect on me for a few days. I will keep the other side effects that you mentioned in mind. I'm going to lower my dosages immediately because the side effects you stated scare the crap out of me!

Thank you for your insight!

• Posted

Wow you really have been though it.

Hopefully you have now come out the other side.

Sorry they could not remove all the stones.

They must have been building up over a long period of time to acumulate that many???

Still no date for seeing consultant yet let alone removing my stones.

Hope it is sooner rather than later.

Remembering you in my prayers.

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Now almost 6 days post-op I feel so much better! I'm extremely bloated which is causing a lot of discomfort and frustration because i look like I did when I was 5 months pregnant, but I know it's only temporary.

Even with the issues I had, I'm glad I had the surgery. You're right, the doctor suspects the stones had been accumulating for a long period but only recently became mobile. I go in for stent removal in 3 days at which time we'll discuss a plan to prevent more from forming.

I hope you will be able to get your scan and removal soon. Anticipation of the unknown is often worse than the pain and discomfort after a procedure. Thank you for your support. Good luck to You!!

Xx

Crystal

• Posted

I have an appointment with the consultant next week. I am fully expecting him to say the kidney stone will have to be surgically removed.

Can you tell me a bit more about this proceedure and recovery time etc.

Trying to find stuff on the internet but seems to be conflicting information.

Thanks.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi. how are you feeling now?

I saw consultant yesterday and he confirmed I would need surgery.

He wants me to have a couple more tests first so I am still playing the waiting game but he was very nice and I trust him to know what is best.

Keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.